• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which cutters are more reliable? Robust?

ARConcepts

Newbie here,
Would like to get some insight on some cutters.
Mostly between Graphtec and Roland.
I've been doing graphics awhile and handed a lot of stuff of to cutters and now I would rather do it my self.
I have a large job coming, 45' car hauler and 3 racecars, w/more coming.

Questions are:

Pros and Cons of either brand.
30" will work but should I go to 40"? your experience.
Which suppliers would give good support on the purchase?

Thanks

D2S

Search Feature will be your best friend with this one... Been done numerous times... and if that doesn't work go to the individual forums for each brand and see the talks and threads and make your own pros vs cons.

wildhock

ditto!

Search Feature will be your best friend with this one... Been done numerous times... and if that doesn't work go to the individual forums for each brand and see the talks and threads and make your own pros vs cons.

Matt Cuellar

If you've got the $$$, definitely recommend the Summa, but a more between the Roland & Graphtec, I'd recommend the FC7000 cutter. Just make sure you have a good tech relationship with your dealer because Graphtec's tech support can be rough sometimes...

ARConcepts

OK, how come I can't be come a graphic installer? I already do all the graphics and install the vinyl. The only thing I didn't do was cut the vinyl. I also weeded all the smaller ones myself.
I just thought it was time to finally get a machine of my own. I've got alot of big jobs coming and it will be easier if I can cut on the fly instead of waiting.

I don't do signs by way, only vehicle graphics and logos. Signs I will leave to the sign shops, as there are to many substrates to work with.

So the question is, I've got $3500 to $4000 to spend on a cutter. What would you guys recommend, any brand?

Thanks

Shovelhead

OK, how come I can't be come a graphic installer? I already do all the graphics and install the vinyl. The only thing I didn't do was cut the vinyl. I also weeded all the smaller ones myself.
I just thought it was time to finally get a machine of my own. I've got alot of big jobs coming and it will be easier if I can cut on the fly instead of waiting.

I don't do signs by way, only vehicle graphics and logos. Signs I will leave to the sign shops, as there are to many substrates to work with.

So the question is, I've got $3500 to $4000 to spend on a cutter. What would you guys recommend, any brand?

Thanks

Vehicle graphics and logos are services that a sign shop offers.
You'll be doing "signs" in no time!!!!

ARConcepts

My garage is filled with cars and bikes. Don't want to store plastic, corplastic, wood, and the many other aspects to sign making. No room for saws and the other tools it takes to do signs, plus don't need the dust in the garage.

Shovelhead

That's like saying...."I got this girl and I'm only going to hold her hand..."
You know what eventually happens.

Jillbeans

Get a Gerber 4B with an LMK and GA or Omega. I'm sure there are some on Fleabay way cheaper than what I paid for mine. It's only a 15" plotter but it's built like a tank. Not the fastest but very reliable.
Good enough for a hobbyist.
Love....Jill

ARConcepts

So what you're saying is, I shouldn't get my own cutter. That I shouldn't take my business to next level and I should just be happy where I'm at in life.

ARConcepts

Great advice!! :U Rock:

Still buying a cutter though. But I promise to use my sign shop for my print and cut. Printers are a pain in the @%&$.

chopper

the plotter question is kinda loaded, it depends on what you plan on doing....
if you are thinking of getting into digital printing down the road, you will want to buy a large cutter, with an optical eye so it will read registration marks for cutting the prints,( if you choose a separate print and cut system)
if you are going to just cut get a machine that is at least 24" (most material comes 24") I have a 2-30" machines and rarely run anything larger than 24"
as for the brand roland, graphtec, anagraph, summa, are all great machines,
I have a roland and a summa and I would take the summa over the roland any day...it is by far the best cutter I have ever had,.( dose small letter with ease) just stay away from the cheap cutters if you can, //chopper