• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which Type Glue?

3Dsigns

I need to glue the grey 4.5'x2.5' latex-painted 1'' HDU panel to the face of the larger 6x4 latex-painted sign. I think gorilla glue would hold very well, but am afraid it might expand too much and I have known liquid nails to get hard and detach. Would you use silicone? Screwing it down is not an option. Thanks
engineer 1.jpg
engineer2.jpg

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I would sand off the paint where the oval face goes, and use Silicone adhesive or Weld on

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are both substrates HDU ?? In most cases you do not wanna glue a painted surface to another painted surface.

As mentioned, sand all the paint off of the areas to be glued and I'd use gorilla glue and weight the livin' sh!t out of it for 2 days. Then cut away any glue which might've squeezed out.

Martin Denton

Why not use some dowel rod for invisible fixings between the 2 at 1 inch thick the fixings will never be seen. You can get little copper pins that you put into holes on one piece then position it the pins leave marks for drilling the other holes and you get perfect alignment and no possible movement

Billct2

Single face sign? Screw from the back with some lexel for good measure.
As has been said, best to leave unpainted when gluing.

Sandman

I would remove a few strips of paint from both pieces so they match up and use epoxy. Gorilla glue, Duna Bond, PB Bond are great for edge glueing before machining, but to deal with squeeze out or the chance of lifting the piece thus causing a disaster is not worth the risk in my book unless you are willing to start over.