• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Which would you prefer.................

WildWestDesigns

You can get a 500gb Samsung m2 for under $75.

This is the one that I upgraded to recently. Now, it was on sale when I originally got it, so worth it.

Enjoy the first time you see windows boot up in 10-15 seconds.

Is that with or without trimming the startup processes(if MS left that ability in Win 10) down to just the essentials? A little trick that worked well started with the Vista days.

The above SSD, I saw 8 seconds with XFCE. I just couldn't be without my eye candy, so I sacrificed a little bit of speed for transparencies, gradients, and a slightly heavier DE.

ikarasu

I rarely boot so I don't actually time it or care.

My home pc has a raid card and 18 hds. It takes roughly 60 seconds to get into windows with an ssd just because I have them spinning up staggered instead of all at once.

My work pc it seems like as soon as I hit restart it boots instantly to the login screen.. Then I have a ton of stuff open that takes 5-10 seconds to fully load after I sign in.

But side by side with a mechanical... It's 1/10 the speed. Every single person who asks me to help them buy a new laptop... I throw in a $40 ssd, maybe some more ram into their old one... And they feel like they just upgraded to a top of the line pc :D

I think every pc should use an ssd as the boot drive in this day and age. I'd never run an os without it.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
Just purchased a new server at work with top of the line 2tb ssd boot drive and 300tb of hdd storage.

Most PCs have been upgraded to a single ssd and use the server for storage so nothing is lost since its all stored on server. Some PCs have 10gb nic being installed too for high speed file transfers.

You will never go back once you use a computer with a ssd, everything functions much faster.