• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whining Panther

gcljlamb

My 30" Panther cutter makes a whining noise periodically when it's running vinyl back and forth. It does it probably 5-10% of the time. Is this something I should be concerned with or do all plotter/cutters do this to a limited degree?

Other than that, it has functioned flawlessly.

Ideas?

WVB

I have a Panther Pro 24" model which does not make this whinning noise you speak of. I would call signwarehouse, yes I know it takes days before they call you back if and when they do call. Also write to their tech department I found that I get better and faster answers this way.

Compilla

The secret of good tracking is to load the roll making sure the Vinyl is really tighly rolled on the core...

90% of the time it a user error.

WVB

If you keep the film tightly rolled on the core, the Panther will litterally jerk it off the media roll flange holders. Even if you have the speed set lower. Hit Roll, let the machine start to cut and twist the media roll flanges to loosen the film from the core. It will keep the media from being jerked and it will track flawlessly. Also like in Flexi check the advance tab, then cutter/driver button on lower right corner. Make sure none is selected from the drop down menu. I think factory is set to cut fast. This will increase the acuracy of the Panther cuts. As this function is controlled by the control panel of the Panther not software.

Techman

Has this noise been there since you first got it?

Could be the pull motor pulling against the weight of the vinyl as it advances..

Compilla

I can track up to 50 feet no problem on my Panther, I do not like using those roll flanges.
Make sure you slow down the speed and up speed to around 10 ips when plotting longer jobs...

Techman

My 30" Panther cutter makes a whining noise periodically when it's running vinyl back and forth. It does it probably 5-10% of the time. Is this something I should be concerned with or do all plotter/cutters do this to a limited degree?

Unless i am reading the wrong language..

The topic is about whining noises,, not tracking errors..

gcljlamb

The whining noises are completely random and in fact seldom. I've simply chalked it up to a quirk of the machine. I recall the machine my former boss had in his shop (identical to the one I'm running now) made some of the same sounds.

Regarding tracking, in another thread I describe how I load and check tracking of the vinyl and I routinely run any length of vinyl (as long as the floor and the vinyl "catch" are clean) without a hitch. Again, I just pull out approximately what I'll need off of the roll over the drums and the "eyes" and set the right edge using the measuring marks (matching all three to the right side) and guide the vinyl GENTLY using my hands once I've pressed the "down" arrow button.
Check the other thread for the details. I have absolute confidence in this method as it "sets" the path while it's rolling backward of what it will do when it rolls forward in the cutting process. Only time I've ever had it fail was when I was trying to be too miserly with the vinyl and set the rollers too wide. It created a crease that "dumped one edge of the vinyl out. Thankfully, I was using the "show me" feature in Flexi at the time and not actually cutting.

George