• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White on transparant for small labels

timstudio

Hi There,

for a client who sells nailpolish product i produce a lot of labels. Most are printed on white labels. Client now wants a product range with glass enclosure. My Roland printer has no white inkt option. So i'm looking into labelprinters that can print solid white on transparant. Anybody has an idea?
Outsourcing is not profitable (large diversity of products with low quantity per product.)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 15.05.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 15.05.52.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 245

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Buy a gerber edge and plotter. Probably still not profitable but at least you get tot buy a printer and plotter.

timstudio

Lol, but only if you tell my wife. The Gerber option isn't going to do it. That really is way to expensive. No problem if it is a couple of thousand, but that's my limit. There are others out there who will be able to provide the needed decals for the client. I know she won't move over all the other labels to a competitor since it's a close friend. Just trying to figure out if I can provide without losing money. Reselling isn't an option, because I do not want to be responsible for work of others.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We run a Roland XR-640 without white, and we have to outsource this kind of thing to local printers that have the white capabilities. We get so very few people asking for this product that it wouldn't make any sense and buying the machines for it would never pay for themselves... how many labels like this do you get requests for?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any screen printers with circular type screens over there ?? That would be the most economical method.

Dan360

We throw this kind of stuff on our OKI, normally used for heat transfers. I believe they have an under 5k option with white ink. Just run on ULine clear labels, bonus if you can find precut to the size you need.

Marie

Could you gang up the various decal layouts and send them to S365? They have a clear vinyl and can contour cut the decals.

CanuckSigns

Why not run white on your S80600? Wouldn't that be more more cost effective?

For the 2-3 small jobs a year we get asked about it's not worth setting up the white in our Epson, I have a white cartridge, but I've never used it. My understanding is that it takes about an hour to prepare the machine for the white ink, then another hour to take it out after, wasting a bunch of cleaning fluid in the process. The gerber edge des a great job for small white prints, and anything else I either outsource, do in cut vinyl or turn away.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I don't understand why reselling is not an option. If you cannot resell and make a little money, you will never make money printing them yourself. If you think S365 and others are charging too much, you are not charging enough.

IsItFasst

I feel your pain. I turn away jobs weekly that need white on clear as they are too small of jobs to outsource. I have a Roland VSi sitting here with cleaning fluid cartridges in place of the white/silver spots since I've heard such horror stories about the specialty inks. Every so often I consider offering white on clear as the jobs would be decent profits for the small size to possibly make it worth the hassle but y'all keep talking me out of it when reading posts on here.

bigben

Buy a used Gerber edge for $2000 and do them on there, the edges are.tanks and will run forever

I have a gerber edge II and hate to use this thing. So fu%*$ expensive to run and too much time to setup the file.

Hi There,

for a client who sells nailpolish product i produce a lot of labels. Most are printed on white labels. Client now wants a product range with glass enclosure. My Roland printer has no white inkt option. So i'm looking into labelprinters that can print solid white on transparant. Anybody has an idea?
Outsourcing is not profitable (large diversity of products with low quantity per product.)

I'm in the process to buy a machine to print rolled label. They are not very expensive, but when you start talking white, you almost double the price. The basic setup I've found is around 12K$ when you can have a really good cmyk only for around 5k$

stxrmxn

We have a Mimaki CJV 130 with white and silver. No maintenance needed at all.
Machine asks for the cartridges to be shaken up every 12 hours because of the pigments i guess but i dont even bother doing that and they print just fine whenever needed.
Heard horror stories about white and silver on solvent printers before, but if you want a machine that has the options and you simply dont have to worry about them until you need to use them then i highly reccomend this model.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I'm in the process to buy a machine to print rolled label. They are not very expensive, but when you start talking white, you almost double the price. The basic setup I've found is around 12K$ when you can have a really good cmyk only for around 5k$

Out of curiosity, what machine are you looking at in that price range?

SH10151

Get a cheap thermal transfer printer and buy a white ribbon for it. The multi color thermal transfer printers like the Gerber edge are expensive because they print multiple colors. Single color printers are cheap.

Attila Nagy

I have a gerber edge II and hate to use this thing. So fu%*$ expensive to run and too much time to setup the file.

I have a Gerber EDGE2 and I like it a lot. It is quick and easy to use if you know how .

Raghaus

OKI printers with white toner are crazy versatile - I have a 8432WT and use it all the time with white.