• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White vinyl reverse on glass

CES020

I had a customer request for some white vinyl put on glass, they wanted it on the inside, reading from the outside. I told them up front that it wasn't going to be as bright of a white done that way and they were okay with it. I installed it, it looked exactly like I thought it would, kind of a light grayish look rather than the white of the front of the vinyl. As I was about to leave the guy asked me why that vinyl looked grayish as opposed to being bright white. He told me that he had reverse white vinyl on his store glass and it was a bright white.

I used Oracal 751 white. I suspect there's a different brand of material that shows a little whiter, but that's only my guess.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, do you have a brand that's whiter than oracal 751 white when applied in reverse?

Marlene

my Gerber 220 series is white on both sides, no gray. you sure the window isn't tinted? some glass looks clear but has a tint to it. tape a piece of white paper and have the customer see it's the glass not the vinyl if that is the case.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Depends on the glass. Virtually all modern commercial exterior lights use a glass with some level of UV protection and/ or tint. Even if it didn't, the thickness of the material provides some level of diffusion. This glass is functionally invisible as long as you're looking from the dark side to the light side. I.e. on the inside looking out. The other way, not so much. Much like tinted windows on an auto. You can see out but no one can see in.

That being the case, anything you apply to the inside is going to appear to be grayish from the outside. To some degree or another.

Mosh

Window glare and "silvering". I bet if you look at it in a week it will look a bit different.
Inside lettering will never be a bright as outside installed.

ddubia

Glass is not clear. All of it has a tint. Usually a drab green. If you see several layers standing in a stack it becomes quite obvious.