• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who loves it when family asks for help with something!!??

JMDigital

OK. I would like to ask for some advise about car wraps.. I have been in the digital print world for quite a while. I do not do wraps. I don't have a problem with laying vinyl have done that so much I can deal with vinyl in my sleep. Now enter my father. He has a Drag car and asked me to help him with some graphics. He knows I have not done wraps before and wants to do this with me like a Father/Son bonding thing. I think he has more money then he knows what to do with so if he does not mind spending money for supplies I know we will have fun working on it together.

He does not want to wrap the entire car, just part of it. When I get a design all ready I would like to know what is a good material to use to print the graphics. I want to print with my ECO-SOLVENT Print/Cut machine.
So my quick basic questions are..

Take into consideration that this is going on a Race Car.. its not a daily driver , it is indoors when not at a race. Its trailer is enclosed.

1. What material should I print on?
2. Does it need to be laminated after? I heard the new material may not need lamination?

soon as I get a basic design I will post a photo. I am more interested in learning about the material to use and what to prep the car with.

thank you guys..

Here is a photo of the car AS-IS now. solid color no graphics on at all. He does not want to paint the car at all..so the current color will be the base color.
The design will cover the missing paint on the door...
81VetteRaceCar.jpg

JMDigital

JMDigital

charging your old man for a wrap?

No.. Im not charging him for any part of it. I see I explained it and it reads like I am charging him. He is buying the material I could not talk him out of that . I convinced him I already have plenty of ink. I dont normally do wraps so I don't have any material. Its going to be hard enough to keep him from trying to buy me ink when we do this. I just want to make sure I get the correct material. I could never repay my father for all he has done for me. I want to do the best I can for his Race Car.. After the car we are going to do something on his trailer.. its just a big white box now so that should be cool...

Sorry for the confusion. What I normally do is print photo enlargements or specialty signs for a party planner. For my family I print whatever they ask me for (no charge)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
With you doing the labor for free and him taking care of the materials use a good cast vinyl and laminate.
It doesn't matter the brand, find the best deal - just make sure it is cast for both and air release for the print.
It will lay down easier for you and look better for him.

wayne k
guam usa

GypsyGraphics

I want to print with my ECO-SOLVENT Print/Cut machine.
So my quick basic questions are..

Take into consideration that this is going on a Race Car.. its not a daily driver , it is indoors when not at a race. Its trailer is enclosed.

1. What material should I print on?
2. Does it need to be laminated after? I heard the new material may not need lamination?

i realized a race car isn't out on a daily basis... but don't they take a quite a beating when they are? and you still gotta put gas in it, right? one splash of gas on a non-laminated wrap and you'll be sorry. i'd be surprised to find any ink jet printed material that even suggested no lamination was required.

doing work for family has enough problems of it's own... do you really want to throw into the mix, a bad wrap?
if you don't laminate it, that nice father/son bonding thing might be short lived.... but i'd venture to guess the results wouldn't soon be forgotten. :(

DigiPrinter

JM -

I haven't wrapped any race cars (perhaps others that have will comment on the materials they used) but I would think 3M IJ180Cv-3, IJ380Cv-3 or IJ480Cv-3 would be a well suited vinyl combined with 3M 8518 Gloss Laminate.....both cast materials.

Have fun with the project.

MrSalumi

Call 3M and get sample rolls of IJ180cv3 and the 8518 Laminate. They will send you short rolls (5yds) of them both for free that you can get your profiling set up on. Once your done with that wrap away knowing that you are using the best material available. Then buy 3M again once you are "selling" a real job.

my.2c

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know JM's Dad or his circumstances, but there comes an age in your and your Dad's life, when a Dad wants to be a part and help out monetarily, no matter what goes down. Unless your Dad is desolate, which I highly doubt in this case, I see nothing wrong in accepting some money towards a combined project.

As for the vinyl, as mentioned, just get a cast vinyl with matching laminate and go to it. The lam will make it easier to instal and will help protect the job from many things besides the elements.

Good luck............... :thumb:

ps.. make sure someone films or takes pictures of steps along the way, cause you guys will cherish that for years to come. And who knows, maybe you will add 'wraps' to your repertoire in the shop. :wink:

player

Be sure to get one with the air egress technology. It will make it much easier.

Also check out YouTube for wrap videos. Not rap videos.