• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why do you call lexel silicone?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So I wanted to be a realsignguy and ordered some lexel to see what the hype was about. I've always used 3m 5200 and sikaflex for bonding. This isn't silicone. Did I buy the wrong stuff? If not, why does everyone compare it to regular silicone, which typically won't stick to crap?
IMG_20200929_210250.jpg

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Lexel is awesome. I gave up on silicon years ago and started using power grab until Lexel came along. Lexel is thicker with more initial holding power and doesn't dry out and get brittle like construction adhesives. Because it stays flexible, it can handle materials with dissimilar expansion coefficients. The only downside is that it's harder to clean up the squeeze-out then power grab or silicone.

Notarealsignguy

Lexel is awesome. I gave up on silicon years ago and started using power grab until Lexel came along. Lexel is thicker with more initial holding power and doesn't dry out and get brittle like construction adhesives. Because it stays flexible, it can handle materials with dissimilar expansion coefficients. The only downside is that it's harder to clean up the squeeze-out then power grab or silicone.
I wish I would have known that it's not actually silicone. I have always turned my nose up at it because silicone is a terrible adhesive and never understood why everyone thought it was great. Now it makes more sense

Moze

Precision Sign Services
....whereas Lexel smells like crap and does stick well. :D

It actually smells just like model glue - the glue that came with model cars. Which makes sense because it welds/etches just like model glue used to.

That being said, I've never seen it referred to on the forum as silicone.....just a superior alternative.

Andy D

I will be the odd-man out and say I will never use Lexel again, I tried it on several projects and was
extremely disappointed every time. It's next to impossible to clean up & I set letters, came back 48 hours later
& it still wasn't set/dried.

Johnny Best

That 3M 5200 you mentioned, that stuff really adheres to things. Messy though. Whats the difference in price between 3M 5200 and a tube of Lexel?

Notarealsignguy

That 3M 5200 you mentioned, that stuff really adheres to things. Messy though. Whats the difference in price between 3M 5200 and a tube of Lexel?
About 10 bucks but we have been using bostik 940 and 940FS (fast set) which is about the same price as lexel. It works just as good as 5200 and just as messy. I always wear gloves with it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I will be the odd-man out and say I will never use Lexel again, I tried it on several projects and was
extremely disappointed every time. It's next to impossible to clean up & I set letters, came back 48 hours later
& it still wasn't set/dried.

Yeah, you kind of have to be aware of that going in. It takes a while to fully set up. It's definitely not a quick grab solution. Silicone sets up much faster. But if you have something acrylic or polycarbonate that will stay in place while the Lexel sets up, once the Lexel DOES cure, no one is going to get it off easily.

I guess the best example I can think of is a heavy tape-mounted acrylic panel. The tape alone may easily hold it in the short term but may start to sag over the long term. Lexel is perfect for that.

visual800

when you say silicone doesnt stick to crap, what crap are you referring to? I tried Lexel and Im not a fan, I will stick to silicone as it has never failed me. The ONLY time it failed was when there was a huge bad bacth released and you could tell as soon as it came out of the tube

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Level is the best. Silicone smells like crap and doesn't stick well.
Maybe you're not using the 'right' silicone. GE Silicone I is a great adhesive for most stuff. Don't get the regular silicone II sealant stuff. For metal signs we use Lord 810 Signlok.

MikePro

i still LOVE silicone, aside from functionality my main draw is that I can get tubes for under $4, whereas Lexel/PowerGrab tubes are $7-10ea.
obviously it doesn't work in every single situation, as we have different solutions for different situations, but I'd say we go through about 1000 tubes of silicone every year and that makes a HUGE difference.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Agreed - I rarely need the Lexel, but it's always on the van. The maority of what I install is with silicone.

I mainly use Lexel for acrylic or polycarbonate signs in specialty situations (heavy signs, signs subject to tampering or theft, etc) since silicone adheres poorly to bare, smooth acrylic and polycarbonate.

Lexel isn't good for immediate grab. It is however, once cured, excellent for ensuring a sign won't go anywhere unless a prybar of some sort is used.