• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is my print vinyl "plucking" or "buckling" when it enters the printer?

0igo

Seems like any roll I feed through my printers, buckles up on the back end. I see it happen as soon as I lock my rollers on my printer. I have a mutoh 1624 valuejet. My shop is pretty cold this time of year. Could it be bad rollers or the weather affecting the material?

dmfahie

Seems like any roll I feed through my printers, buckles up on the back end. I see it happen as soon as I lock my rollers on my printer. I have a mutoh 1624 valuejet. My shop is pretty cold this time of year. Could it be bad rollers or the weather affecting the material?

Raise your pre heat settings and possibly post to help it flatten out. The term for it is "cockling"

0igo

what settings do you have your heat settings at? i run mine at 40, 43, 50 from the flexi production manager.

ams

I recently found the issue. I took off the metal clamps that hold the material flat and found a bunch of dried and undried adhesive under them. I scrape it all off, also saw they were slightly just barely bent upwards, I bent them down again and it's been working without issues now.

boxerbay

lower your preheat. paper backed vinyl (cheap) is affected more than Polycoated paper liner 3MIJ35. I hate the cheap stuff because of that. it causes head strikes or i have to lose 36" off the roll each time i begin a job. so whatever savings you think you were getting ends up in the trash bin.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Heat has a lot to do with it, but not as much as if you haven't released any tension on your roll, by unwinding a few feet off of the pinchers. Loading it straight, proper heat in the printer and in your room, having clean rollers and no tension will probably help your overall situation.

mmblarg

We also use a Mutoh which buckles the material immediately after loading - in our case, there is a fan that kicks on right after locking the pinch rollers which bubbles the vinyl from underneath. What we do to flatten this out is immediately lift the lever to release the rollers, lift the loose end of the vinyl to let the air escape, then just lock the material in again - takes ten seconds and the fan stays on so the material lays flat the second time around.

If this isn't an issue for you, I would also suggest testing the heat. Our material buckles if the heat is too high.