• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why learn to spell? Or can you?

AUTO-FX

Being in the business of conveying ideas through the display of type written words, or hand painted words, isn't it funny that quite frequently spelling is completely thrown out the window in some posts?
Is this a by-product of the "texting" generation, because hey, there are no rules in texting?
I'm not saying I'm not guilty of a bit of flagrancy, occasional misspelling, skipping title case or fat fingering the keyboard and what-not, but man, some people just go way beyond that. I wonder if they could even spell if they had to! How do they get through the day?
You'd think most of us would have a built-in sense for spelling, or is "spell check' the greatest invention since sliced bread? Can one "learn" to spell, is it more of a memorization function, or is it just built in? Or not built in?

SignManiac

Some people suck at math and the rest suck at spelling. I think it's an American thing. I believe we are somewhere around 39th in worldwide education. I don't have much hope that it will improve in the future.

FrankenSigns.biz

Sum of the posts hear on S101 drive me batspit crasy. Espesially poeple who say "then" insted of "than" is whut really gets my goad.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I have a problem with it's and its. No matter how I write it.... window's spell check is always correcting it and I never know if I'm right or they're right. I could smack them.

Also, my wife is always correcting my 'who & whom', but when you look it up in modern day dictionaries, they are accepting it either way.

:banghead:

AUTO-FX

actually, i have a problem with it's and its. No matter how i write it.... Window's spell check is always correcting it and i never know if i'm right or they're right. I could smack them.

:roflmao:

oh, and now I know why i suck at math

W

wetgravy

It's mostly caring. Most don't care about grammar on mindless forum posts ... it's a lot like conversational speaking ... how many people do you know, actually speak decent English or know how to communicate without "umm" or "like" in every sentence.

Malkin

Took me a while to get this, but just remember these 2 and you should be fine.

"It is" abbreviates to it's with the apostrophe.

"Its" used in the possessive sense does NOT use the apostrophe, although most other words used possessively do. For example, "The car lost its wheel." or "The car's wheel is lost."

SignosaurusRex

All through school, my spelling was impeccable. Now as I get oder, my spilling haz gone to krap and I can't remember the discriptive wurds I want too uze.

weaselboogie

Some people suck at math and the rest suck at spelling. I think it's an American thing. I believe we are somewhere around 39th in worldwide education. I don't have much hope that it will improve in the future.

But we're number 1 in self-confidence! GO USA! YAY! WE'RE AWESOME BUT WE DON"T KNOW WHY!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There were 3 languages spoken at my house when i was growing up... it's a miracle I can type a semi-coherent sentence...

showcase 66

"Aoccdrnig to rseearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe."

This was on the back of a sign guys truck for about 3 years or so. I never understood why you purposely have misspelled words on your Sign truck. People would always tell me that they wouldn't use him just because of all the misspelling on there.

Now this brings another interesting aspect to our business. If spelling is such a big deal to our customers, then why do a lot of us use misspelled words in our business names. I have have seen grafix, graphix, dezines, vinyl efex, I still enjoy seeing other people with vynil on their trucks.

JR's

CSDD you just messed my head up. I cant spell to save my life, I try very hard at it to but I fall short. Reading is difficult to, Some times. so when I use spell check all the options look alike. :-{

But thanks for baring with me throe the years.

JR

mikey-Oh

Actually, I have a problem with it's and its. No matter how I write it.... window's spell check is always correcting it and I never know if I'm right or they're right. I could smack them.

Also, my wife is always correcting my 'who & whom', but when you look it up in modern day dictionaries, they are accepting it either way.

:banghead:

it's almost phased out of modern english, just add the 'm' when it's an object, like a preposition... of whom, for whom, to whom.

the one that melts me brain and will always have me second guess, is affect verses effect :banghead:

HaroldDesign

This may be my favorite thread ever! Spelling is one thing, and it's bad enough on it's own, but grammar brings sentence structure to a whole new level. The most frequently used is the use of "I", both verbally and grammatically. Somehow referring to one's self as "me" became substituted with "I" in all circumstances in an effort to sound proper. In most cases it is actually "myself" that they're looking for, but have no idea. If you're going to use commas and the like in an attempt to be proper, perhaps at some point you should find out and understand what they're for.