• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why printer and cutter?

Kehoe's

Why would a person by two machines rather than one machine with both functions? Like Versa-Camm does the job all at once. John

signage

can do two jobs at once!

If you have a printer/cutter combination you have to wait for the printer to finish before it cuts. With a separate cutter and printer you can be cutting on job while printing another, also if you have something else that needs cut you do not have to wait for the printer to finish.:thumb:

Kehoe's

Once you have printed on the printer how are you able to put it in a different machine to cut and have it cut around the same graphics you just printed? Hope you can understand that sentence? I would think you would waste more time reloading from one machine to another.

Techman

its called contour cutting,, And, soem of us are not rich enuf to afford a dual machine,,, Or, some of us do not wish to have a dual machine..
As myself.. i dotn wish to have a dual machine...

jgolo

Kehoe's said:
Once you have printed on the printer how are you able to put it in a different machine to cut and have it cut around the same graphics you just printed? Hope you can understand that sentence? I would think you would waste more time reloading from one machine to another.

The printer will put registration marks on the print job and when you load the print onto the cutter, you then send the same job to the cutter, but you only send the cut info.

Hope this helps.

John

Kehoe's

Thanks jgolo. Makes more sense now. I have a vinyl cutter now and was looking at a Versa-Camm for later. Have to think if over. Thanks again for your help.

Color Dude

Go with 2 machines

Nowadays, you get great deals on 2 machines, most companys will sell you a Printer, Cutter and a Laminator for a real good price. Check out Signwarehouse.com when you get ready. They pretty much will give you the laminators if you buy the printer cutter package. Good deal.

iSign

Color Dude said:
Nowadays, you get great deals on 2 machines, most companys will sell you a Printer, Cutter and a Laminator for a real good price. Check out Signwarehouse.com when you get ready. They pretty much will give you the laminators if you buy the printer cutter package. Good deal.

...or you could go with a real sign supply company... & even though they may not give you a laminator.. you would probably want a real laminator anyway.

I also vote for a seperate printer & cutter. Running both at once happens often enough around my small shop... & if you have a all-in-one machine... you will be unloading & reloading the print before cutting anyway if you will laminate (& your really DO need to plan on laminating a majority of your outdoor printed vinyl)

God forbid I ever have to ship my printer, but down time can happen, & even on repairs I may do myself, only one machine will be out of commission, not two.

ScottyDoo

We have two because we already spent $60K (US) on our solvent printer and have a brand new 64" plotter on our way to replace our dying 48" one. What would be the point of investing in another printer/cutter when what we have already does the job?

Sure...if we were just starting and looking into it, we would probably buy the hybrid, but we don't do a ton of print/cut anyways, so what we have is perfect.

Scott Reynolds

Can you explain your "love/hate" relationship with it? Like I said, I have $60k burning a hole in my pocket and Im looking at the 72si, colorpainter, and the Mimaki. Saiko and the Mimaki are both in the same price range with the cutter combo, but the extra speed, cost per sq, and the bulk ink with the 72si might offset the price. Thanks, Scott

Derf

As my service tech said about a print/cut machine.....

The More moving parts...

The more to break....

If //// When the printer breaks I don't want my cutter down with it.

Scott Reynolds

Very true Derf. And what about the times your running a wrap or a bunch of banners? Print/cut are great if your low volume and your short on space, aka home office. AND, if your doing your print/cut stuff the right way, your laminating BEFORE conture cutting, and you know what that means.

Jackpine

Print/Cut

I had a Roland600 print cut. I ALSO have another cutter for vinyl. Now I have a Mutoh 36" printer and a Graphtec cutter......soooo much better. I looked at the VersaCamm...29.5" print is not all you would need. I print a full 36" banner. Both are good but I very glad I have what I use. SSK have very good prices for packages and the best tech support. SignWharehouse.....NO WAY.