• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will this installation idea work for Gator Foam?

Pat Whatley

Woo hoo....first post in the INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT AND TECHNIQUES SECTION!

I've got to do a set of signs for a small store that will hang from the ceiling and identify different sections. The original plan was to use 1/2" PVC but as the project has progressed and the sign sizes have gotten bigger I'm getting worried about supporting that kind of weight so we're now looking at using Ultra Plus foam board (like Gator Foam but with a little heavier plastic sheeting around the foam. I want a smooth, clean look to the faces.

The most common size among the signs will be 15" x 95". My idea is to drill an 1/8" x 4" hole in the edge of the foam board, fill it with glue (type?), then screw a 6" screw eye(1/4" thick threads) into it until the eye is flush with the top of the sign. This way I don't have to have fasteners going through the faces and I can hang them from the stay ceiling with standard double-hooks.

For each 95" long sign I'm thinking I need 4 screw eyes.

I have very little experience with foam board panels. Does anyone see any reason this won't work or is there a better way I'm just not seeing?
hang2.jpg

SignManiac

Should work. Don't use any hot glues that might melt the foam. Why does it need to be so thick? 1/8" PVC would be a lot lighter in weigh. A couple of holes drilled at the top and S hooks to hang them buy.

Pat Whatley

1/8" PVC will buckle. The signs are long and skinny, a couple of months hanging and they'll start to look wavy. Plus, I think the look the 1/2" foam core offers outweighs the minimal weight difference between 1/8" PVC and 1/2" foam core.

7oaks

Pat, I have used a method from somewhere.. Drill hole larger than the eye bolt. coat eye bolt with gorilla glue and mist with water and insert into the hole. The glue will expand and form a tight fit. I use this method for hanging 1.5 in foam sandblasted sign foam up to 6 sq ft. outside.

Try it on a scrap. use a bolt threaded all the way up.

Ken

phototec

UHU Por Glue for Styrofoam

My idea is to drill an 1/8" x 4" hole in the edge of the foam board, fill it with glue (type?), then screw a 6" screw eye(1/4" thick threads) into it until the eye is flush with the top of the sign.

I believe your idea will work just fine, however as previously mentioned, DO NOT use hot glue, it will melt the foam core. I would use UHU Por Glue for Styrofoam, it's a pro glue just for Styrofoam.

Good luck!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/uhu_por_glue_for_styrofoam_2843_prd1.htm

fmg

Yes it will work.Just as long as no one keeps touching it to weaken the strength of the support.
Good Luck

weaselboogie

2nd on the gorilla glue. The only problem is you need to babysit and make sure that you have the foam that comes up cleaned up before it hardens. It's a really good solid joint because it expands into the pores and dries on it's own without air.

Sticky Signs

Seems like it would work but for added safety and a potentially cool look (provided the proper hardware is used), you could insert the screw into the sides of the foam core. I don't know, I'm a few beers into it so this may sound like a bad idea in the morning.

7oaks

Rather than insert the screws straight in, I usuall insert at an angle toward the middle so the pull is against the side of the hole and not straight out.

Ken

Pat Whatley

I'm using 1/2" gatorfoam...trak inserts only come up to 3/16"

Actually, we're now back to using 10mm PVC. I'm not exactly sure what the guy's plan is for installing them now. I asked, he told me he had a plan but didn't elaborate. Fortunately they'll all be hanging above coolers so if one does crash down it's gonna have to do a lot of bouncing and sliding before it gets to where people are.

Billct2

For future reference, we used a similar technique, scews eyes with plain wood workers glue. But now we use screw in drywall anchors....

Attachments

• walldriller.jpg
    walldriller.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 133