• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

win 10 wil be FreE?????

Techman

The project manager for win 8 was shown the door. Win 8 is a flop because of the way the change was implemented. They added in clicks and changes to actions that were well settled with one click.

And corporate users could see no value in changing from win 7 which came along with some really good upgrades in the hardware. Corporate users had no use for buying new equipment that worked just fine with an OS that ran so well. New equipment coupled with a huge expense in retraining users was a load more than anyone would bear.

Back to WIN 10..

spartan can be checked out a little here.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...and-the-windows-10-january-preview-build.aspx

if ya want to be on the win 10 test list go here..
https://insider.windows.com/

AF

As if Windows 8 wasn't odd enough, MS has skipped Windows 9 altogether. What is going on in Redmond, it seems like some loose cannons are in charge over there.

WildWestDesigns

As if Windows 8 wasn't odd enough, MS has skipped Windows 9 altogether. What is going on in Redmond, it seems like some loose cannons are in charge over there.

The one thing that I had heard from one my computer nerd friends is that they skipped 9 in order to not have programs have a hard time installing due to a program while installing read "9" somewhere and though it was installing on 95 or 98 and thus not install.

I don't know if that's bunk or not, but that's just what he had heard. Now granted, I'm butchering that conversation, so I'm probably forgetting something that reconciles that thought process (if there is one), but that's the gist of what I heard.

AF

Its bunk. I think MS is trying to catch up to "Mac OS X" version number to not appear behind the times like they suddenly are. Mac OS X (Ten) has been around for what, 12+ years now? They should be on Mac OS 16 in the least.

Skipping 9 makes me believe that 9 did exist (it was mentioned in plenty of MS tech articles), but because it was too close to the despised and loathed Win 8 interface that they simply canned the project and put resources into 10.

Win 7 is nice because you don't have all the backdoors from MS to snatch your data, location etc and it lacks the internal MS backdoors to spam you with Bing ads. Among other things.

Techman

Too many early developers cheated on the code,,
In fact this was brought out when win XP SP2 came out and broke plenty of 3rd party software where authors that got caught cheating on their code.
In fact I posted way back then to watch out about dongle coded software and XP SP2. Of which the prediction turned out to be accurate.

Back then many third party products coded their packages

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) { /* 95 and 98 */ } else {

. Is this line of code still used? Yes if the installer senses something with a 9 in the code it will abort saying this version is not ,,, BLAH BLAH.. etc.
So this seems to be a plausible reason to skip win 9 ..

In reality who knows what M$ is thinking. They are living at least 15 years into the future. They are writing code for products that do not exist for technology that will be invented in 5 years.

rjssigns

I find this surprising. For me, Win 7 is much faster and efficient compared to XP. Now if you are also using 32bit programs as well, then it won't make a lick of difference as your programs will be the bottleneck.

I actually have less resources in my Cintiq tablet with Win 8 Pro compared to my Toshiba laptop with Win 7 Pro and the tablet does circles around the laptop.

So I'm seeing a disconnect there.

In MY experience anyway.

Now again, if you are using legacy software, that's going to be your bottleneck.

It's called Linux. Which I would prefer to run, but the tools that I need to do work aren't ported over there and the open source programs that are available haven't seen active development in going on 14 yrs (not talking about Inkscape and/or GIMP) other then to port to later OSs.

Being able to use Linux for everything would be wonderful. As you said development and cross platform compatibility is sorely lacking.

We run legacy software so a new OS is of no value to us.

I manage to output nice work and make money without the latest Adobe CC b.s. My wife cranks out solid work with CS2. All without benefit of the latest OS or computer. Our iMac is 2008 vintage and is the newest computer we own.

Our systems have gained tremendous up time since we've eschewed the infernal upgrade path. Although I'd attribute that to our IT guy who's a retired IBM engineer. We consider ourselves fortunate to work with him.

This is the way I know it is:
Marketing types(because they want to keep their jobs) make gullible people think they need the latest software to survive in today's market. When the actual truth is most people(including myself) have never and will never plumb the depths of "outdated" Illustrator and Photoshop programs. Let's not forget InDesign either. (I just learned some really neat duotone tricks)

In Six Sigma terms we go an inch wide and a mile deep. That is our niche and that is where, for the most, part we make our money. You gain a level of comfort and expertise that fits your demographic. That is what truly allows you to produce sellable work faster. Expertise or talent does not reside within upgrades and cloud based systems.

Boiled to it's essence: Having the fastest computer and the latest software is not a guaranteed path to marketable output.

WildWestDesigns

We run legacy software so a new OS is of no value to us.

Absolutely, I actually intend to stop at CS6 now. However, I'm not saying that having the latest and greatest is a surefire way to success, but I am saying that things have gotten more efficient and faster.

I can actually stop at CS2 for the toolset that I absolutely have to have for workflow, but I do like CS6 over CS2.

I had read your previous post as the new OSs haven't gotten faster, more efficient etc. When they have in of themselves. Now if you do use software that bottlenecks those efficiencies, that's something else.

I do not believe in having the latest and greatest is a surefire way to success, I do not believe that you are only a professional if you are using Mac only systems.

Corel skipped 9 as well didn't they?

I don't think so. It's version 9 the one version that they also ported to Mac as well?

rjssigns

Absolutely, I actually intend to stop at CS6 now. However, I'm not saying that having the latest and greatest is a surefire way to success, but I am saying that things have gotten more efficient and faster.

I can actually stop at CS2 for the toolset that I absolutely have to have for workflow, but I do like CS6 over CS2.

I had read your previous post as the new OSs haven't gotten faster, more efficient etc. When they have in of themselves. Now if you do use software that bottlenecks those efficiencies, that's something else.

I do not believe in having the latest and greatest is a surefire way to success, I do not believe that you are only a professional if you are using Mac only systems.

I don't think so. It's version 9 the one version that they also ported to Mac as well?

We run both Mac and PC. Mac for 99% of the design work and PC's for RIP servers, QuickBooks, EstiMate, etc.... Wife still rocks CS2 on her PC. The CAD stuff I dabble with is PC also.

Our iMac came on board because I wanted to try one. Then life threw me a curve and I ended up back in college. Graphics program at school was all Mac. I fell in love with the performance of the platform. (I'm writing this on my iMac) The ol' girl still crushes my big files.:cool:

Firm believer in the right tool for the right job.