• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Frosting (Application)

Hi there. Hope someone can help. New so bear with me. I'm applying a large sheet of window frosting to a sheet of clear perspex (plastic) In a customer's reception area. Customer/staff will be there so I don't want to look like
a complete idiot. Any good you tube clips would be handy. All the ones I have found seem to be more for the amateur. I know about the spray on water (with a couple of drops of detergent). Is there a more precise measurement to use?
eg 2mills per one litre (or something like that). Does this still apply to perspex or just glass?. I have not found any premix/ready made solutions here. (New Zealand). Not really time to get in from overseas. I'm a little nervous but if I just pay someone else to do it I won't learn myself. (+I won't make any $$$). Not practical to transport it back to my workshop.(to large). Advice appreciated. Thanks Simon

Thanks guys. It's "ORACAL 8510 - Etched Glass Vinyl" 94 Silver (Coarse). Good to know if I should use spay water with this? ta Simon

Thanks for getting back so quickly. It has a small cut graphic in the middle. The vibe I'm getting is I just need to give it a go. If it all turns to custard I'll just put it down to experience. Almost $200 worth of vinyl so kind of nice if it works out ok.

rjssigns

Check out videos of folks that apply window film for a living. You should be able to find things that parallel you're install.

brdesign

Since you have a cutout section that will require transfer tape, make sure the application tape is applied perfectly. Any wrinkles or bubbles in the tape can leave a permanent mark on the vinyl. Use plenty of soapy water or application fluid, you want it very wet and slippery. Use a good squeegee, nicked squeegee edges will leave marks, wet the squeegee and the vinyl so it slides easily. Wet the transfer tape to soften it for removal, give the vinyl plenty of time to sit before removing the transfer tape or trimming the edges. I've done large installs where we scheduled the install In the morning and came back later that day to do the final trimming and tape removal. Some etched vinyls are more forgiving than others so there can be a difference for different brands.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

mim

0_o
I just did an install like this and I should've double checked my squeegee quality. Make sure the felt is new/doesn't have anything caught in it, scratches can be very noticeable :doh:

Also, leave yourself tape tabs on all sides. Finger prints can also ruin an otherwise perfect application of frost. I try to hold on to the tabs to avoid touching the vinyl. Or just give yourself extra material.

Good luck! You'll be fine :)

Johnny Best

A. teaspoon of Joy or Dawn dishsoap with 1Quart of water.

B. 1 capfull of Baby Shampoo with 1 quart of water.

I prefer Rapid Tac but since you can't wait these formulas will work. Wet the substrate and film really well and just put application tape where copy is. Use a felt squeegge.

signheremd

We use 3M Prespacing Tape for masking - not all application tapes adhere well to frosted/etched vinyls -we apply wet using Rapid Tac application fluid, use a squeegee with a felt end, go over it a couple of times, wait a few minutes before removing, spray the masking (wet it lightly) and wait a few seconds for the masking to lift, remove pulling on a 45 (never a 90, as that lifts the vinyl). Just watch your edges, once you get started it removes nicely. Remember when you squeegee to only advance about one third of a squeegee at a time so that you need not worry about trapping some water - lots of overlap and use good pressure. I usually apply one piece, wet the masking, and apply the next and then go back and remove the first. When we used to make our own application fluid, we used water and detergent and added a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Have fun, otherwise, what's the point...

Thanks, Does it make any difference that it is Perspex (not glass) ?. any good you tube clips out there?. a link would be fab. thanks Simon

Moze

Precision Sign Services
8510 installs very easily, especially wet. It's a thicker material so it's a little easier to handle. As mentioned, apply transfer tape over the cut logo portion, no need to mask the whole sheet (see photos). As soon as you have the whole piece applied, squeegee the logo portion pretty firmly to get as much application fluid out as you can. Then spray the transfer tape with your application fluid and rub it in with your hand. Let it soak while you trim the vinyl, get bubbles out, etc. Spray the transfer tape again, rub it in, start cleaning your tools/area up. Spray it again, rub it in, go to the restroom. Half kidding on the last part, but at that point you should be able to carefully remove the transfer tape from the logo. Peel the transfer tape back against itself, keeping it flat against the glass.

Attachments

• 20171128_105324_HDR-1.jpg
    20171128_105324_HDR-1.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 158
  • 20171128_161530.jpg
    20171128_161530.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2B

brentjosker

Hi there. Hope someone can help. New so bear with me. I'm applying a large sheet of window frosting to a sheet of clear perspex (plastic) In a customer's reception area. Customer/staff will be there so I don't want to look like
a complete idiot. Any good you tube clips would be handy. All the ones I have found seem to be more for the amateur. I know about the spray on water (with a couple of drops of detergent). Is there a more precise measurement to use?
eg 2mills per one litre (or something like that). Does this still apply to perspex or just glass?. I have not found any premix/ready made solutions here. (New Zealand). Not really time to get in from overseas. I'm a little nervous but if I just pay someone else to do it I won't learn myself. (+I won't make any $$$). Not practical to transport it back to my workshop.(to large). Advice appreciated. Thanks Simon
I have always used rapid tac, if i was out or couldnt find any i usually used water and lavender baby shampoo, it is gentler and will not affect the adhesive on the vinyl. make sure you are using a felt squeegy and you srpay not only the back of the vinyl but the surface you are applying it to. you are going to tape it at the top. then gently remove the entire release liner, be careful not to crease the vinyl, you will not get the crease out. then after wetting the rear of the vinyl and the window. you will put a sag in the vinyl letting it naturally cling to the window, you will have less bubbles to contend with. once it is down on the window you need to wet the front of the vinyl so your squeegy moves freely across the front surface of the vinyl and doesnt bunch it up.depending on the size of the vinyl you can squeegy left to right starting at the middle always or go down with it. either way, medium pressure is key, to not onyl get the fluid out but you dont want to "walk" the vinyl out of position.

Hi Guys. Thanks for all your help on this topic. Johnny!!. Putting on the front of the perspex ( so don't need to reverse the cut out graphic) I agree, probably would better viewed through the front (stuck on the back) but hey! old one was on the front and customer just wants a repeat of old (with new graphic).

Thanks Brent a lot of detailed information you have given me .

This seems to be the way to go-

Put out by "Oracal" themselves so you would like to think this is the best way to do it. Do any of you guys feel any of this is not necessary? Keeping in mind my install is on perspex not glass. (my install is the 8510 film)

thanks Simon

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The video is spot on as is the advice in this thread. You have everything you need to install correctly.