• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Window Perf on vehicle

Goatshaver

I had a customer ask about doing a graphic for their back window. I know I have to used window perf for this or else their rear view mirror will be useless and probably get them a ticket. I've never printed, or installed any window perf or anything on glass before.

What is the recommended window perf material to use for printed work on car windows? Definitely need removable adhesive and I don't want to have their vision obstructed.
Do I laminate it? Can I laminate with calendared or do I have to use cast if I need to laminate. I only ask because I'd have to order all this material for one job if needed.

I don't do this kind of stuff yet but this seems like it would be pretty easy to get done and give me some experience doing it.

Thanks!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
50/50 perf - required by law for visibility. Lam with 8518 or optically clear - cast. If you don't do it often, or at all - for one back window you should outsource it. Or, buy the stuff, and get some more jobs to sell the rest of the material :)

Stacey K

I like making signs
I had ordered all my window perf from Signs365 and had good success before I had my printer.

Just leave yourself a few inches on all 4 sides so you can trim it down once it's applied. I like applying window perf, I find it to be fun.

rjssigns

I had a customer ask about doing a graphic for their back window. I know I have to used window perf for this or else their rear view mirror will be useless and probably get them a ticket. I've never printed, or installed any window perf or anything on glass before.

What is the recommended window perf material to use for printed work on car windows? Definitely need removable adhesive and I don't want to have their vision obstructed.
Do I laminate it? Can I laminate with calendared or do I have to use cast if I need to laminate. I only ask because I'd have to order all this material for one job if needed.

I don't do this kind of stuff yet but this seems like it would be pretty easy to get done and give me some experience doing it.

Thanks!
Before you do anything else check your local laws. Some require laminate some don't.
If your county/state whatever requires laminate you need to use optically clear.
Vision will be obstructed. You're covering 50% of the glass. If you're concerned on this or future jobs don't offer the service.

If this is something you do very rarely sub it out. The extremely rare occasion someone demands laminate on their perf that's what I do.
Not worth buying a roll of optically clear just to have it rot in the corner.

99.99999% of the perf I print gets sprayed with automotive clear. Clients like the look and no call backs.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
window perf is probably one of the easiest materials to install.

i second outsourcing it if you haven't done it before, especially since its just for one job. no need to get in a roll of material and laminate that will sit around. i'd also suggest Signs365 for the printing. easy to use and quick turn around.

mim

0_o
It seems like everyone laminates their window perf, we don't because water can get caught in the holes and affect visibility. Does nobody else run into this issue? Maybe we are doing something wrong :eek:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It seems like everyone laminates their window perf, we don't because water can get caught in the holes and affect visibility. Does nobody else run into this issue? Maybe we are doing something wrong :eek:
We laminate to keep dirt and water from getting in the holes.

rjssigns

Umm...laminated and water in the holes? Are you installing laminated perf wet? If so stop it.

mim

0_o
We laminate to keep dirt and water from getting in the holes.

Yeah it makes sense when you say it lol. Funny cuz thats the reason we don't laminate. I wish we would because I feel irked every time I'm applying an unlaminated print.

mim

0_o
Umm...laminated and water in the holes? Are you installing laminated perf wet? If so stop it.

Nope, never wet for window perf. I am rarely the one applying it as I mostly do the signs and we have someone else doing mostly vehicles. All I know is that laminating window perf is apparently a no-go in this shop, but it seems like it could be a.. go? haha.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
we install window perf all the time. Just be prepared for the curve of the window. We recommend making a template.
We don't laminate our window perf. If you don't laminate it causes the holes to fill up with water when it rains and its difficult to see o
Before you do anything else check your local laws. Some require laminate some don't.
If your county/state whatever requires laminate you need to use optically clear.
Vision will be obstructed. You're covering 50% of the glass. If you're concerned on this or future jobs don't offer the service.

If this is something you do very rarely sub it out. The extremely rare occasion someone demands laminate on their perf that's what I do.
Not worth buying a roll of optically clear just to have it rot in the corner.

99.99999% of the perf I print gets sprayed with automotive clear. Clients like the look and no call backs.
where do you get automotive clear?

rjssigns

Yeah it makes sense when you say it lol. Funny cuz thats the reason we don't laminate. I wish we would because I feel irked every time I'm applying an unlaminated print
Hi Mim, not calling you out or anything.

All this discussion over water, dirt, detritus, flotsam and jetsam is odd. IF you or your client has an issue with perf don't do it. To the point: if there was a serious crash and window perf was on said vehicle you may be getting a nasty gram from a lawyer. What you think about this does or does not matter. It is what the lawyers can and will do once they run the numbers. This is a fact of life whether you own a business or not.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

rjssigns

we install window perf all the time. Just be prepared for the curve of the window. We recommend making a template.
We don't laminate our window perf. If you don't laminate it causes the holes to fill up with water when it rains and its difficult to see o

where do you get automotive clear?
This 'un rat cheer: https://apps.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=CC64823

IIRC I get them from the local NAPA store. Shrinkin'-Williams Industrial will have it too. Been using it for years.

Goatshaver

Thanks! I'll have to check on it but I think 50/50 will should be ok. I see commercial vans with it on them quite often, but I'll dig in to look for specifics on this law.

I found this is in the window tint law, I'm assuming it goes for any kind of application on a rear window, including perf.

C. A side window or rear window is composed of, covered by or treated with a material that allows a light transmittance of less than 35% net of glass and material; or [PL 2007, c. 186, §1 (AMD).]

D. A front windshield, front door window or window at either end of a rear passenger seat does not contain 2-way glass that provides the occupants with a clear view of the road and a person outside the vehicle with a clear view of the occupants and the interior of the vehicle. [PL 1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); PL 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

I think I'll probably go with outsource for this one if they decided to move forward.

Dragon

My 2 cents
Something to consider with rear window perf.
whether you laminate or not, inform the customer not to use or to disable their rear windshield wiper. Wiper will scuff the lam or wash colors off without lam.

Stacey K

I like making signs
ok silly questions. Will it work on latex prints? and is it optically clear?
I'm pretty sure he uses it for all his window perf. He gave me the idea to try it but I bought some Maribu Clearshield and I used it on some baseball field, race track and lighted signs...it's spectacular, really gives it a nice gloss and seems much better than laminate. I bought the gloss and it was extremely glossy so I bought the semi gloss this time. If you buy some let me know how it works with the latex. In a pinch I used some FrogJuice a while back on window perf and so far so good with the window perf/latex ink.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'm pretty sure he uses it for all his window perf. He gave me the idea to try it but I bought some Maribu Clearshield and I used it on some baseball field, race track and lighted signs...it's spectacular, really gives it a nice gloss and seems much better than laminate. I bought the gloss and it was extremely glossy so I bought the semi gloss this time. If you buy some let me know how it works with the latex. In a pinch I used some FrogJuice a while back on window perf and so far so good with the window perf/latex ink.
that's RIGHT you told me you used frog juice. I need to get some..

rjssigns

ok silly questions. Will it work on latex prints? and is it optically clear?
No clue on latex but I assume it would. Optically clear is a non-issue as it only sticks to the perf. Loading it on will cause nothing but grief.
I just do a couple light coats and Robert is your dads brother.;)