• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf

John Miller

Hi All, I've had very limited experience with window perf. on vehicles. I think I remember that it has to be laminated or water collects in the perforations and makes it hard to view through.
True or false?

rjssigns

Laminate requirements are dependent on state/county/city regulations. In my area I use an automotive clear in a spray can. Works a treat and no complaints.

Billct2

I buy it wholesale, laminated. We also add a 1/4" clear vinyl stripe around the edge to guarantee it doesn't lift.

unclebun

Laminate requirements are dependent on state/county/city regulations. In my area I use an automotive clear in a spray can. Works a treat and no complaints.
That wouldn't solve the problem of the holes filling with water and obscuring vision out the window. That's the reason why an optically clear vinyl laminate is required.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Most of my customers don’t laminate except for those doing buses.
You have to check the lam first to make sure it’s clear.
I have in stock
Bruce

rjssigns

That wouldn't solve the problem of the holes filling with water and obscuring vision out the window. That's the reason why an optically clear vinyl laminate is required.
Honestly, if they're worried about their vision being obscured they shouldn't put perf on. Even with optically clear laminate it is still covering at least 50% of the viewing area.
Although the laws in my area state "..glass must be clear from the drivers shoulder forward." Which renders the argument moot.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Yes, they should only be on rear windows.
But I did put a big strip of what the vinyl manufacturer's sales rep swore was completely clear lam on his auto windshield to prove him wrong!

Retro Graphics

Yes, they should only be on rear windows.
But I did put a big strip of what the vinyl manufacturer's sales rep swore was completely clear lam on his auto windshield to prove him wrong!
well don't tell all those commercial transit busses that. kind of kills the whole full wrap effect on a van if you have to skip the windows.

unclebun

Honestly, if they're worried about their vision being obscured they shouldn't put perf on. Even with optically clear laminate it is still covering at least 50% of the viewing area.
Although the laws in my area state "..glass must be clear from the drivers shoulder forward." Which renders the argument moot.
Let's try an experiment. Put unlaminated perforate on YOUR truck back window this week, and drive it that way through the spring rainy season. Tell me how much you liked it.

rjssigns

Let's try an experiment. Put unlaminated perforate on YOUR truck back window this week, and drive it that way through the spring rainy season. Tell me how much you liked it.
Sold hundreds of perf decals for pickup trucks, vans, emergency equipment etc, and still doing it with absolutely zero complaints.
Let's just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Along the same lines, I had a customer come back in today complaining that dirt is clogging the holes on back window of car & wont come out. I bought the perf from signs 365 prelaminated & i used edge seal tape around the perimeter. Any suggestions for steps I may have missed or how I can keep this from happening in the future?

unclebun

Have you looked at it? Is it on the edge where it may have been lifted and not stuck fully? Is it actually dirt in the holes?

Have you looked at it? Is it on the edge where it may have been lifted and not stuck fully? Is it actually dirt in the holes?
I did look at it. (forgot to take pics) it is in holes all over the graphic & the graphic feels scuffed. I'm really not sure what happened. Need to know what to do to make sure that doesn't happen again.