• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows 10 for free

Techman

read the article
It will give you an update number that has that info in it. I do not remember the details.
It may tell you how to remove that update.
However why not download it and save it to a file for use later? You are not required to install it.

AF

i started playing with windows from 3.1. yes 3.1. and i have always welcome the upgrades.the have been a lot of fixes and bugs over the years. but now i believe Microsoft has gone completely nuts. i mean its all about money and not about proper software. for example i bought a brand new labtop. cost me around 2000 usd. nice it ran good when i got it with windows 8. after a week it decided to update its self and required a password. ok put it in. i started to take 3 minutes to boot. wtf???. OK its new called tech support. OK u must go to 8.1. OK. i did it took 4 minutes. now the computer i got has a i7 haswell e processor 16 gb of ram and two graphics card. only thing i didn't order was the solid states drives i got hybrid setup. now thats just the fun part. according to my supplier i cant downgrade to windows 7. also 90 percent of my drivers and software wont work. go figure.
so my little old dual core computer is still my work horse. it rips prints cut and drives my cnc. and i have a 478 intel that runs some of my machine also. i could even run my laser copier any more i have to use a generic print driver. Microsoft run to get at samsung and apple is dumb and stupid. i hope apple and samsung takes over their share of the market fully. and i am supposed to used Microsoft 10. no way. i have a apple home also and i have upgraded it to the latest version. its much better than Microsoft and i can dual boot on it so i can run windows 7. i think Microsoft forgot what a computer supposed to do versus a stupid phone. a phone is for enjoyment and to assist u during the day. not actually do real work on.

I agree. If you can't turn off all that crap in windows 10, then it will fail miserably. We, as professionals who use our computers to make money, need something more like windows 7 to get work done. MS sold "Win 8 Professional" but it was hardly professional looking, with all the time-wasting metro tile stuff and horrid "apps". I have told everybody to not click the upgrade icon, shame on MS for dropping that in there. There is no easy way to eliminate the upgrade icon from the tray, sneaky.

Marlene

I read the article and only see where they hide the GWX file but I don't see how to remove it from my task bar.

OldPaint

AGAIN FOLKS... as tech man said.......DOWNLOAD IT, save it in a file.....IT IS NOT A MANDATORY UPGRADE!!!!! it will not load itself on your existing WIN 7,8.1 MACHINE))))))
what i will do..........is DOWNLOAD IT, save it, burn it to a DVD. AT MY CONVENIENCE.......... i will buy another SSD, they are available at good prices now....$109.00 250 GIG.... and load it on that........as another fully functional H/D.
this way i dont screw up anything on my WIN 7 32 bit SSD(which works fine)at this time. AND i can load all of the same programs on the WIN 10 hard to see if they will work.......just like my WIN 7 h/d does))))))

Andriy

I read the article and only see where they hide the GWX file but I don't see how to remove it from my task bar.

You can just hide the notification forever.
Right click on the clock, customize notifications and hide that one either permanently or there's a few other options.