• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 10

kheebl

Has anyone messed around with windows 10 yet? I am getting a new computer here very shortly and will probably stick with windows 7 pro (that is what I currently run) but was wondering if anyone has tried running flexi 10 and Corel X7 in windows 10 and if so how did it work out? Once I get my new computer all setup and running properly I might try to see what happens to my old one when I upgrade to windows 10

Ghost Prophet

You have 1 year to use the free upgrade. Microsoft has a track record of releasing operating systems that are riddled with security vulnerabilities, so I'll be waiting about 6 months to give them time to patch everything. :p

WildWestDesigns

To be honest, I would wait until I'm able to run a VM of it and see if everything migrates. Particularly if you are talking about a production environment. You might have to pay for the disk (or the iso), but to make sure everything migrates without "breaking" anything (rather it's permissions or registry concerns etc), I would wait.

kheebl

I am not going away from win 7. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it yet to see how it works. I am just thinking about trying it on the old machine to see how it goes once the new machine is up and running.

Split76

I upgraded my home asus rog laptop from 8.1, (I simply hated it enough to try) and it seems a bit better and maybe faster? but I have win 7 pro at work and that will definitely stay that way..

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
In the long run I imagine it will become "the" OS that Windows 7 is. According to Microsoft 10 is the last major OS release they will ever do. From now on they will simply build upon 10 and make it sort of a "cloud" SAAS type thing. I downloaded and installed it on one machine just to see how it is going to be and I can tell you already there are some things I very much dislike. I was honestly pretty shocked at how non-business and how invasive it is with your information. I did an in-place upgrade on a domain joined Windows 7 Pro machine. This is a domain joined machine and is considered and enterprise type installation (domain joined desktops do not even ever see the Windows 10 free icon or anything, you have to manually download and install it). Any edition below pro for example, is going to get Windows Updates downloaded AND installed whether you want them or not. Its not optional.... even on pro and enterprise editions you can only "defer" updates for a period of time. Updates are distributed ala "torrent" style and you are not asked if you want to participate in helping with the bandwidth.... It is VERY invasive with the default settings opting you into all sorts of data collection about your system, your use, your surfing habits, location, etc. Granted a lot of this mess can be turned off but you will have to dig and spend some time doing so. Big corporations, oh yeah.... .they are going to be thrilled to see that Xbox and Microsoft's cloud storage and whatnot are installed by default and really you cannot even uninstall them (if you are very technically inclined with using a powershell command prompt there are ways to uninstall some of this but its is not in add/remove programs or windows features). I'm sure big corporations with many many thousands of desktops want all their employees looking at Xbox crap and potentially having their company data getting uploaded to some cloud storage. I'd wager that MS will very quickly have some enterprise deployment tools available that will allow one to strip all of the non-business oriented crap out of a build. As it is right now, it is very far from being a "business" oriented operating system. Everything about it screams at you to waste time screwing around on the web and to not do anything business related.

Overall my impression aside from that seems "okay". It will take some getting used to finding things. Some things like the traditional control panel are still there but deeply hidden, they want you to use the newer one which leaves a lot to be desired.... I have not had much time to really "use" it much yet so my overall impression as of yet is not really inclusive. I imagine it will be quite some time before all of our programs are "certified" to work properly on it. Flexi just might install and run just fine but that is useless if your Mimaki or HP or Mutoh, etc drivers will not install or load.... It just still way too new and early to really try and trust it for running your business on. As already mentioned, its going to take some time for this initial release to get a full shakedown in all industries and get the initial bugs worked out. Probably will be some time before the first major service pack update before it really starts to mature into something stable and solid that you want to deploy for your business systems. Eventually Windows 7 will become outdated and stale much like previous OS's have and one day it will even become totally unsupported and no longer updated like XP.

WildWestDesigns

Eventually Windows 7 will become outdated and stale much like previous OS's have and one day it will even become totally unsupported and no longer updated like XP.

That's why I'm migrating everything over to VMs and running Fedora as a host with Win 7 isolated as a VM in order to run legacy software. Keep up to date with Fedora and keep running my old software via VMs.

I might get an installation disk on Win 10 and see what it's all about after it's been out a while (probably have to wait anyway until stand alone installation is available).

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
A friend of mine (who's much more knowledgeable about these things than I) says one problem he encountered when trying to upgrade on an older Win 7 device is that the video card was Direct X 9 (and couldn't be updated any further due to hardware limitations), and Win 10 requires Direct X 12.
Just something to be aware of.

As for the spying aspect, I usually turn all of those sorts of features off in every program.

One aspect I don't care for, and that hasn't really been addressed to my satisfaction, is that there's reportedly no option to get away from automatic install of Windows updates. I don't know about all of you, but there have been plenty of times where I've had to do a System Restore because one update or another caused the PC to go buggy. If MS isn't going to let me choose to can updates that cause that kind of hassle, I certainly can't justify putting it on a production machine. Who has time to wait a week (or even a day) while they straighten something out- or even worse, when they blame it on the hardware and tell you that you need new equipment?
From what I've seen, it looks like a great OS, but there are bound to be issues. There always are. I'd just like to be able to correct them easily.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
As for the spying aspect, I usually turn all of those sorts of features off in every program.

Apparently some of these options will revert back to the default setting after a pre-determined amount of time, so even if you disable them, Microsoft-voodoo will re-enable the spyware and start sending data back home again.
Massive no-no for some corporate environments.

Just like the saying, if it's free... you are the product.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Apparently some of these options will revert back to the default setting after a pre-determined amount of time, so even if you disable them, Microsoft-voodoo will re-enable the spyware and start sending data back home again.
Massive no-no for some corporate environments.

Just like the saying, if it's free... you are the product.

Guess that's pretty much like the automatic updates, then. Nope.

qmr55

Relax kids I don't think Microsoft cares about what you're googling and talking about on facebook. Lets lose the cap.

attachment.php

Christian @ 2CT Media

Love it so far... All of our software works great and it seems much faster! So far these items are tested and working:
Onyx 11.1.2
Coreldraw X7, X6, and X5
Adobe CS5, and CC2015
Summa Winplot, some issue with cutter control fixed after reinstall.
Office 2016
QuickBooks 2014

I've installed this on 4 computers so far, windows 10 is far faster then 7 or 8.1... Only thing I hate is the loss of smart files in one drive! They need to bring that feature back.

Techman

I do not wish to be hooked into a subscription model of an OS system. That is into what win10 will morph.

win 7 is perfect for me. I think I will have it for 15 more years . In fact I still use some XP machines. All running fine.

amw

Longtime Members
The "spying" people are talking about was for the beta testers. That is always done to find bugs as well as figure out how the OS is being used. That is not part of the final release.
The other thing people are talking about is that in the ULA it says that MS will give your files, etc. to law enforcement if compelled to by a proper court order...this people are taking out of context. The files MS is talking about are those kept on onedrive...on the internet. ALL companies have to do this its nothing new. They are not able to give law enforcement files from your local storage. Apple, google, yahoo, and every other company does this also...nothing new. Anyone who is telling people that windows 10 is spying is just repeating bad info.

Windows 10 will not EVER cost a thing if you download it and install it before July 29th 2016, the people who act like it will are just conspiracy people.

I have friends high up at MS as well as I am in the industry and have been for about 20 years.

We have 27 computers between business and personal and for anyone who wants to know...
Roland Versaworks runs fine on all upgrades pcs (about 12 so far)
Roland Engraving software (EGX400/600) works fine.
Engrave Lab expert works fine.
Graphtec plotter w/ cutting master 2/3 works fine.
All Adobe cs6 software works fine.
All our dyesub printers work fine.
So far we have not run into any issues with any business software or hardware.

BTW we have tested this with both Windows 10 Home and Pro with no trouble.