• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 10

amw

Longtime Members
Oh my,, looks like AMW a M$ fanboy has disliked a few posts.

That is the point of the like and dislike....so people know the truth.
I don't do what you do and try to start trouble with people.

You are just a conspiracy theory kind of person...think everyone is out to get you.
You look to start fights with people....there was no point to your post.

Maybe I should have been saying....
Oh and the "everyone is out to get you guy" is commenting again.
But I am a grown up and have work to do.

Andriy

I do not wish to be hooked into a subscription model of an OS system. That is into what win10 will morph.

win 7 is perfect for me. I think I will have it for 15 more years . In fact I still use some XP machines. All running fine.

Where did you pull the information on Windows 10 being a subscription OS?
After a year it will probably cost the usual cost of the OS systems (XP, 7 etc...)
The free W10 upgrade just seems to be an attempt to bring people back onto the new Microsoft OS as Win8 was a flop initially.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
By the way AMW..... my notes on the testing I did are on the full release version. Not a beta, not one of the insider program releases, etc. Its a normal install of the full pro version on a domain joined desktop. My prior career was IT (I burned out, had MCSE, Cisco CCIE, Citrix certs, Security+, StorageTek (Oracle), Check Point CCSE, and a few others) as the senior network engineer for a major hospital with around 3200 desktops and 150 or so servers so I'm also very well versed. We have two business here (we also have an ambulance service) at my shop (another member here, DrCas can vouch for all this) with about 30 desktops, 36 drive fiber SAN, and 5 servers running a Windows Server 2012 active directory domain. With the other side of the business, as the guy who manages everything up here regarding computer systems, I have to take privacy and security very very seriously as I have to have all sorts of HIPPA compliance documentation and procedures in place at all times and readily available for inspection by law.

The one test desktop I installed Windows 10 Pro on by default was just a complete mess regarding privacy and security. Have you read the new official Microsoft Privacy Policy? This is a direct quote - and its NOT regarding the law enforcement aspect you mention.... (as a prior net admin I also was compelled to turn certain data over to LE more than once). The law enforcement aspect of data systems is always going to be there.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

That's pretty damn ambiguous in my opinion. In other words their determination of "good faith" is 100% up to them and its 100% in at their discretion to change their "terms governing the use of the services" at any time they feel like it. Try searching Google for "Windows 10 Privacy". You might find that this is quite a big issue..... For a large corporation like the hospital I worked for, to deploy Windows 10 with its default configuration would not only be a total nightmare it would actually violate many Federal laws regarding HIPAA Privacy and Compliance.

Yes of course Microsoft has already made certain deployment tools available like the ADK so that companies can customize a Windows 10 image and make a custom installation media. With the ADK one can strip out much of the most concerning crap as well as pre-load certain other things like application, drivers, domain membership info, mapped printers, etc, etc. My point in my prior post was that 99% of those who will be installing Windows 10 will have no idea that they can get something like the ADK tools and even if they did they would have a very difficult time figuring out how to use them. As such 99% of users will simple click away, next, next, next, next, etc without even reading what Windows 10 letting them know during the install. Things like Cortana, Windows Updates using YOUR bandwidth to upload updates to other random people, location awareness, and so much more is so very invasive of ones privacy that you really should be concerned in my personal opinion. Then again, I greatly value my privacy.

Take a peek..... https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+10+privacy

There is no need to provide specific links. Anyone can simply ready away and form their own opinion. I think many though, if they read up a little, will probably be looking very close at adjusting some of the default settings in Windows 10....

Oh and as mentioned. Windows 10 is ONLY free to users of a valid, installed and activated, Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation. After 1 year there is a cost. Microsoft has also clearly stated that Windows 10 is the last major Windows release, ever. There will be no more major Windows releases. From here on out Windows will simply be updated and upgraded in place always building upon the current Windows 10 foundation. I have seen no mention of them moving to a monthly pay subscription model. You will still buy Windows once (or most will simple buy a PC with Windows included).

copythat

Stay with 7

In the printing field, we have been asked not to DL 10. There are issues with the rip, that hasn't been corrected yet. You will end up removing and reestablishing your OS back to 7 where the drivers work correctly.

WildWestDesigns

Oh and as mentioned. Windows 10 is ONLY free to users of a valid, installed and activated, Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation. After 1 year there is a cost. Microsoft has also clearly stated that Windows 10 is the last major Windows release, ever. There will be no more major Windows releases. From here on out Windows will simply be updated and upgraded in place always building upon the current Windows 10 foundation. I have seen no mention of them moving to a monthly pay subscription model. You will still buy Windows once (or most will simple buy a PC with Windows included).

I can easily see where they charge monthly for some type of service. So technically the OS might be a 1 time charge, but the tech support after so long might be subscription based.

I can easily see it going that way, but it is just speculation on my part.

If they totally do not go subscription in some aspect like that, then the App store is where they have to be making their money.

Unless there is something else that I'm not thinking about, which is highly possible.

Techman

I have seen no mention of them moving to a monthly pay subscription model.

Yes, but it will be here. The inner chatter is discussing it all the time.
Most know that M$ is going subscription centric as we speak. It's just a matter of time.

Big corps have used a subscription model to windows and other software packages for decades.
Has anyone heard of enterprise versions?

J Hill Designs

I upgraded my home laptop a few days ago..I kind of like it ... it seems to work a lot smoother, but chrome is having a hard time with it

David Wright

I noticed my menu bar in Corel is whited out until I click on it.
I wouldn't want to put this on my main shop computer yet, if ever.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think its funny how everyone is so worried about bugs and etc. This version of windows has been in the wild as a preview for longer then any other OS ever (Save for Linux, thats in perpetual preview!), a lot of the day one bugs have been eliminated long ago.

We have now successfully updated all of our shop computers and have not found one issues that wasn't easily resolvable. My 2 complaints about windows 10 in general lay with OneDrive and Edge. OneDrives feature loss sucks and seems very slow right now and the fact that Edge hides explorer is frustrating when there are certain things we use require explorer.

Also for those who may not know there is a rollback feature that is good for 30 days, any issues and your original system is fully recoverable. I already tested it out just to see how it works.

Christian @ 2CT Media

When you look at what they fixed under the hood its why we upgraded. Windows 10 has better allocation of resources, Intensity resource pausing, better data handling, and is more efficient. So far the performance is better than 7 and 8.1

We chose to upgrade not because of cool factor but because of the fixes Microsoft did to make 10 what it is.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The question is that should Windows 10 prove undesirable for whatever reason how easy or hard or dangerous is it to back out of it and return to what you had before?

niksagkram

how? mine still says 'latest' or whatever when i try it

After I installed Windows 10, when I used Chrome for the first time, there was a banner at the top prompting me to update my chrome, so I did. Maybe I wasn't up to date before I installed W10? I'm not at home right now, so I'm not able to check which version of Chrome I have, but I will try to remember to check tonight. :)

Mark