• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Winter installations

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Gnubler. How do you like your Genie towable Man lift? I'm seriously considering replacing my bucket truck with one.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Gnubler. How do you like your Genie towable Man lift? I'm seriously considering replacing my bucket truck with one.
Look at Haloutte. I've used Genie, Nifty and Haloutte and there is no comparison. Haloutte has electric controls so it can be used one-handed (freeing you up to hold onto your sign) and it's easier because you're just pushing buttons instead of having to pull a lever. I have the battery powered one and I've run it multiple days all day and it still has charge. It also has a jib whereas the others do not. You can also add a basket rotator which is mandatory doing sign installs. I got the small one (35') and it's incredibly compact how it folds up that it fits in my storage unit.

I've rented the Nifty 50's and 34's for years... before that I used the Genies. No comparison. Plus, not having to run a motor is a huge plus in my book. I hate hearing and smelling a lawn mower engine run all day when I'm working... trying to shout at people on the ground. And even though the other brands had battery backup... they don't have a damn battery meter! How stupid is that? Haloutte has a power gauge.

Bucket truck is more beneficial if you're doing service calls because of the lack of having to tow something... but if you mainly do installs then it doesn't matter because you end up having to tow a trailer anyway. If I do installs and need to haul a large sign bigger than my 4x8 bed, I put it on the roof rack. If it's too big for that then it's usually a multi-person job and I have a helper tow it separately. Right now small bucket trucks are starting at $120-130k... new lift is $30k and a service body pickup is $45-$50k... so there is a $40-$50k savings. Plus the truck is separated from the lift so if something goes wrong with either one, you're only down that one piece of equipment. If you're onsite and need to leave, you can detach the lift and an employee can keep working and you run errand in the truck. There are pros and cons.

20211201_091613 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but tex, you oughta wrap it a different color. Dewalt is getting all the credit for that unit. Make it green and call it a john deere.....................

Attachments

• green machine.jpg
    green machine.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 137
Whoever I can round up to go out in the cold will just need to take it in stride. It's a job and you get paid for it. I have a feeling that if they'd take this global warming more serious we could eliminate many of the problems, just like the covid issues. No one seems to follow the science. They all have their own agendas.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I like the convenience of a truck vs a trailer unit. It would boil down to whatever your work mix is. If you're running all over doing service work, it'd be a hassle. If you have random installs where you set up and are in the same place for awhile the towable would be fine. If it was going to sit a lot, I'd want a towable too, less crap to break while it's parked for an extended period. We have a nice articulated versalift at our yard, it has the aluminum platform rather than a bucket. If I ever needed a bucket truck, the platform would be a must have.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Look at Haloutte. I've used Genie, Nifty and Haloutte and there is no comparison. Haloutte has electric controls so it can be used one-handed (freeing you up to hold onto your sign) and it's easier because you're just pushing buttons instead of having to pull a lever. I have the battery powered one and I've run it multiple days all day and it still has charge. It also has a jib whereas the others do not. You can also add a basket rotator which is mandatory doing sign installs. I got the small one (35') and it's incredibly compact how it folds up that it fits in my storage unit.

I've rented the Nifty 50's and 34's for years... before that I used the Genies. No comparison. Plus, not having to run a motor is a huge plus in my book. I hate hearing and smelling a lawn mower engine run all day when I'm working... trying to shout at people on the ground. And even though the other brands had battery backup... they don't have a damn battery meter! How stupid is that? Haloutte has a power gauge.

Bucket truck is more beneficial if you're doing service calls because of the lack of having to tow something... but if you mainly do installs then it doesn't matter because you end up having to tow a trailer anyway. If I do installs and need to haul a large sign bigger than my 4x8 bed, I put it on the roof rack. If it's too big for that then it's usually a multi-person job and I have a helper tow it separately. Right now small bucket trucks are starting at $120-130k... new lift is $30k and a service body pickup is $45-$50k... so there is a $40-$50k savings. Plus the truck is separated from the lift so if something goes wrong with either one, you're only down that one piece of equipment. If you're onsite and need to leave, you can detach the lift and an employee can keep working and you run errand in the truck. There are pros and cons.

View attachment 157064
Thanks! I will definitely look into this machine. Sounds like it would be perfect!

gnubler

I rent equipment for installations like this, though have been fantasizing about the usefulness of having a bucket truck. I'm rural, only two rental places in town so I'm limited to what they carry and it's always a gamble. One place bumped my reservation three times in a row because the lift was down for repairs. Yes, they only have one.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Bucket trucks a fantastic for installs primarily because you can haul a trailer with a big ole sign without a second truck. Also if you plan to lift anything heavy, you'll need a truck or a crane anyways. Ours are only rated up to 1k, but the way things are built these days, that covers a new 8x10 cabinet without faces.
I myself very much prefer the truck, just feels better under ya, plus you can do 70 without watching the trailer squirrel back and forth behind ya.
But goddang are parts expensive...

Your speed limits in Arkansas suck. My lift says not to exceed 65... but I do 85 all day long and it doesn't flinch.

I've towed different models (Nifty) and the larger ones can get squirrely real quick.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Your speed limits in Arkansas suck. My lift says not to exceed 65... but I do 85 all day long and it doesn't flinch.

I've towed different models (Nifty) and the larger ones can get squirrely real quick.
There's these friction couplings that reduce the swinging quite much. Usually on campers but you can put them on any trailers or whatever that's being towed.
I guess it's not a thing in US?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Bout time they rose the limits to match TX. People do 80-85 here. There is one road I go on down near San Antonio that is 85mph limit