• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Winter installations

gnubler

We'll be out on a lift tomorrow installing some building signs and backlit panels. Snowed all day today, forecast for tomorrow is clear & sunny and a balmy 23 degrees so we're jumping on it. Gets dark around 4pm here this time of year.

Do you do winter installations? Do you have limitations on what can be done during the cold/dark months? Please share your stories and suggestions, good & bad.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yes, I do winter installations all the time... that consisted of guzzling water bottles and wiping sweat off my face yesterday when it was almost 90 degrees.

On the other hand, if it snows and I can safely move about then I will go out and get stuff done. Only thing that really stops me is thunderstorms, high winds or ice. Bundle up and put your big girl/boy pants on. Carhartt makes some warm stuff.... and a mask will make your face warmer

gnubler

Wind is another issue in my area, tomorrow is looking calm. I'll be wearing 3-4 layers of clothing, I think cold fingers will be the biggest complaint.

Anyone have issues with certain materials/substrates not behaving nicely in colder temps? I'm bringing the charger for all the cordless tools in case batteries start pooping out too quickly.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Hey, how many inches did you get today? I mean, Snow. We only got a couple, but the roads were sheets of ice for the evening commute here. Shit show of a commute getting home tonight. Fortunately I wasn't in one of the accidents I passed by getting home. Over 100 accidents in Spokane tonight.

gnubler

It snowed pretty much all day, I'd say 5-6 inches. Saw a few car crashes around town today, more than usual due to the golden horde that you're probably dealing with as well.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Cold fingers are my biggest complaint, but I have a battery powered heat gun that I sometimes use to defrost them.

No big issues with substrates or tools or anything (except vinyl). If you have a hydroloic controlled bucket that might be hard to get moving until the fluid warms up. Mine is electric and doesn't give me much of a fit.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We do winter installs all the time. Oh wait, today's high calls for 75°F. Hasn't snowed here in over 30 years.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is what I learned from the school of hard knocks last winter...most important thing is have hand warmers in your coat pockets so you can warm up your fingers for a minute here and there. I tried the Rapid Tac 2 but found it easier to just dry apply. I keep the vinyl inside, so as much measuring as possible like finding center, etc. so when I bring the vinyl out I can just line it all up on center lines, do a couple quick measurements and then apply. The vinyl gets brittle so I move quick but slow especially when taking the masking off. I also make sure I don't get locked out of the building as not to walk around it in 2 feet of snow to get back in - and if it's windy I have an extra set of hands.

Billct2

We install in the winter. There are limitations, paint doesn't dry below zero so that has to be skipped till a better day. Digging can suck but the ground doesn't get as frozen as it used to.
I have some great stories, installing a ground sign for a funeral home that had a drop deadline in near blizzard conditions. But as I get older I'm less inclined to do that kind of craziness.

rjssigns

This is what I learned from the school of hard knocks last winter...most important thing is have hand warmers in your coat pockets so you can warm up your fingers for a minute here and there. I tried the Rapid Tac 2 but found it easier to just dry apply. I keep the vinyl inside, so as much measuring as possible like finding center, etc. so when I bring the vinyl out I can just line it all up on center lines, do a couple quick measurements and then apply. The vinyl gets brittle so I move quick but slow especially when taking the masking off. I also make sure I don't get locked out of the building as not to walk around it in 2 feet of snow to get back in - and if it's windy I have an extra set of hands.
Exterior: For single pane glass I put one or two of those electric panel heaters on the inside. Once the glass gets the tiniest bit warm I apply the vinyl dry.
IG panels(insulated) get a torpedo heater pointed at the install area. Did a jewelry store like that in below zero wind chill. Gotta be smart about heat input though.
The torpedo heater was at least 8' away from the glass.

Fingers stay warm with either method.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have had trouble with formed plastic letters when its really cold. If your stud holes aren't perfect, a little persuasion will end up cracking them. For vinyl, I try to aim for sunny days, and I leave the heat on in the truck and only get the vinyl out as needed and work fast. Frozen ground is a drag, but is managable.

As far as the layers go, I don't mind the cold, but my fingers suffer when doing something that I can't wear gloves with.

gnubler

We did an installation last week, didn't finish up until just as it was getting dark. The lift start dragging during the last two hours, never got above 20 degrees all day. Luckily we were able to run a cord from one of the businesses so it didn't die on us. The day after I took these shots we got dumped on by a good 6-8" of snow. There was also no wind, which was a huge bonus.

20211217_124151.jpg
20211217_160707.jpg

gnubler

Indeed it is. We worked it out with the landlord, who agreed to cover the materials and labor for the metal retainer. Everyone's happy now.