• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood Sign Materials

AKProbeGT

I have a customer requesting a sign similar to the attached and I'm interested in how you might produce. We've done a number of custom fabricated aluminum frames but for this project the want something less formal and more rustic . I'd like to do the circle out of frosted acrylic which is no problem. I'm not sure how I would mount it though. I'm sure it would need more than the 2 black dots for standoffs. I'm also not sure how to do the background piece of wood. We don't do much with wood other than routed cedar blanks. They are looking for a sign that is about 5'x'4 and that seems like an expensive piece of wood just for a background. Is there a better wood to use for the background that would still be durable? The shape of the background can be changed. They aren't set on that. I think the sign will be single-sided though I'm waiting on confirmation.

Attachments

• FARM TO HOSPITAL V2-01.jpg
    FARM TO HOSPITAL V2-01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get some nice oak, glue it up for 2 days drum sand it, stain it, clear it and rout out the circle in the wood and drop it in with screws coming through the back into the 2 black circles.

rcali

Could do veneered mdf, seal and clear coat. Wouldn't be able to have the nice rounded chamfered edges though.

I would hide threaded rods/ dowels under your letters for attachement. Or do something involving drilling into the wood from the back with a countersink and having the screw go all the way threw the wood and partway through the acrylic, hide the hard ware under spots with letters.

Or you can direct print to the sealed and clear coated wood with the image, lowered opacity on the white, them clear coat over that to hold it all in.

Jean Shimp

A natural wood background is beautiful, but high maintenance if used outdoors. In Florida the clear coat would need to be redone probably every 6 months to a year depending on exposure to UV. There are new building materials that look like natural wood but are made for outdoor durability. Or digital printing a wood grain might be a good option.