• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Woodgrain Wrap

Lounge

I have many customers interested in a realistic wood grain look for their boat transoms. I am having no luck finding the right looking clip-art. I was hoping either a background/seamless pattern. Any good places to find realistic wood grain art?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I found one some time ago that looks great. Think you need to spend a few bucks on a high quality one from adobe stock or i stock.

MikePro

i've been making my own woodgrain for years.... super easy with youtubes available, but pretty much just make a buncha noise, gausian blur, motion blur and then swirl it around a bit.

+1 shutterstock images, otherwise, if looking to just download something.
cgtextures has also been a solid go-to for me. lotsa great stuff between those two, and tile-able.

ikarasu

Most boats and architectural wraps are looking for a dinoc... It has a grain/3d effect and looks more like real wood than you'll ever be able to print

Ontop of that... It's thicker / more durable, and lasts 15+ years. It's more expensive than printing your own... But I can't imagine any client being happy if you use a printed pattern of wood to change the look of their boat or anything else they be touching and viewing from up close.

rjssigns

Most boats and architectural wraps are looking for a dinoc... It has a grain/3d effect and looks more like real wood than you'll ever be able to print

Ontop of that... It's thicker / more durable, and lasts 15+ years. It's more expensive than printing your own... But I can't imagine any client being happy if you use a printed pattern of wood to change the look of their boat or anything else they be touching and viewing from up close.

These yacht owners seem quite happy...https://fishywraps.com/pictures/

ikarasu

If its for the outside I can see it, but interior redesign I'd stick with Dinoc. I'd say for outdoors those look better than Dinoc would as well... Dinocs not so shiny and is more real-wood-looking texture. Those are nice and flashy and give the wrap pop, looks good!

I'm not "hip" on the boat lingo, I thought he meant "boat transforms" I just googled transom :( We've re-done a few interiors and used dinoc, didnt even consider people wanting the outside wrapped like wood. So yes, I misread and my advice for using dinoc is bad... not sure dinoc would last on the outside of a boat even.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have many customers interested in a realistic wood grain look for their boat transoms. I am having no luck finding the right looking clip-art. I was hoping either a background/seamless pattern. Any good places to find realistic wood grain art?
Check with 3M DINOC for woodgrain vinyl. It's thick and expensive.
Shutterstock has some woodgrain images.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
If its for the outside I can see it, but interior redesign I'd stick with Dinoc. I'd say for outdoors those look better than Dinoc would as well... Dinocs not so shiny and is more real-wood-looking texture. Those are nice and flashy and give the wrap pop, looks good!

I'm not "hip" on the boat lingo, I thought he meant "boat transforms" I just googled transom :( We've re-done a few interiors and used dinoc, didnt even consider people wanting the outside wrapped like wood. So yes, I misread and my advice for using dinoc is bad... not sure dinoc would last on the outside of a boat even.
You could probably laminate the dinoc to give it a shiny finish.

rjssigns

We haven't been asked to do any boat interiors. Until you mentioned it I never thought about it. We're hired to do transoms, boot stripes and hull striping. Di Noc interiors might be worth looking into as another service.

ikarasu

It's great money. We do a lot of boat interiors (haven't wrapped the outside yet, aside from the owners boat) aside from numbering.

Even if the interior is brand new... A lot of people like it wrapped so there isn't any wear and tear. We've done a few cruise ships with dinoc.... Not the whole interior, that'd take us years, but cruise ships, ferry boats (we live on the coast, lots of huge ferries) and quite a few Malibu interiors. The season is coming too..... I'm sure they'll start pouring in.

It's.not the worst job, but I'm sure you know from wrapping the outsides... The people with 100k boats are very picky and it needs to be perfect... So sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not.

It's amazing the stuff that dinoc does. We did a private jet last year... It was aging and the insides didn't look to good. Dinoc made it look completely new.... Wish I could find the pics for that.

I don't think printed wood looks bad per say. But dinoc has a texture to it and it makes it look like real wood. I can't imagine wrapping a counter top with printed wood. But again.... Those hulls or transom.or whatever they are looked great. We re wrap the owners boat every year... I might show him these and see if he's interested. Usually we use some sparkly red or blue or something else that's flashy for him to show off to his friends... I think the woods more eye catching.

Did you do them? If so what material did you use? We usually.go with 180/8518.... But 8518 isn't as glossy as that. I've seen some really glossy avery,. But we generally stick to 3m so I'm not sure which it was.

rjssigns

It's great money. We do a lot of boat interiors (haven't wrapped the outside yet, aside from the owners boat) aside from numbering.

Even if the interior is brand new... A lot of people like it wrapped so there isn't any wear and tear. We've done a few cruise ships with dinoc.... Not the whole interior, that'd take us years, but cruise ships, ferry boats (we live on the coast, lots of huge ferries) and quite a few Malibu interiors. The season is coming too..... I'm sure they'll start pouring in.

It's.not the worst job, but I'm sure you know from wrapping the outsides... The people with 100k boats are very picky and it needs to be perfect... So sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not.

It's amazing the stuff that dinoc does. We did a private jet last year... It was aging and the insides didn't look to good. Dinoc made it look completely new.... Wish I could find the pics for that.

I don't think printed wood looks bad per say. But dinoc has a texture to it and it makes it look like real wood. I can't imagine wrapping a counter top with printed wood. But again.... Those hulls or transom.or whatever they are looked great. We re wrap the owners boat every year... I might show him these and see if he's interested. Usually we use some sparkly red or blue or something else that's flashy for him to show off to his friends... I think the woods more eye catching.

Did you do them? If so what material did you use? We usually.go with 180/8518.... But 8518 isn't as glossy as that. I've seen some really glossy avery,. But we generally stick to 3m so I'm not sure which it was.

Thank you for sharing the info regarding Di Noc. Unfortunately I didn't do any of the transom wraps in the link. It is another service I want to offer. For material I would use our go to Arlon 6000 series with 3220 laminate. Through the years I've run everything but Avery and still think the 3220 lam has the best look. That or I need new glasses.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have done a few boat wraps over the past couple years...including my own and used both Avery & 3m with excellent results on both. Don't skimp on the lam...make sure its the 1380 from Avery and not the 1360 optically clear. You want the UV protection afforded the Avery or 3m lams. I don't know about Arlon and 3220 on a boat. Never have done that though I understand it is a very good material and lam combo. A transom we did 2 years ago with wood grain looks great. Charter capt is very happy with it (he's a good buddy of mine).

rjssigns

We have done a few boat wraps over the past couple years...including my own and used both Avery & 3m with excellent results on both. Don't skimp on the lam...make sure its the 1380 from Avery and not the 1360 optically clear. You want the UV protection afforded the Avery or 3m lams. I don't know about Arlon and 3220 on a boat. Never have done that though I understand it is a very good material and lam combo. A transom we did 2 years ago with wood grain looks great. Charter capt is very happy with it (he's a good buddy of mine).

With all the horror stories through the years I've been afraid to try Avery. No issues with Arlon through the years. I print for another shop and their installer likes the material and there have been no call backs. Years ago we used 3M only but constant price increases started the search for alternatives. Kept coming back to Arlon since it has the best performance to price for our needs.
For the price difference 3M doesn't make my prints $300 prettier, $300 shinier, or installs go $300 better.