• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work Bench Top

N2Harpz

The new shop has work bench tops that are pretty cut up. I would like to replace them. Plus I will probably build a few more.

I need suggestions on a suface that holds up well. And anything on design might help also.

Thanks,

David

imaSIGNr

Depends on what you're going to be doing on them. Are they for woodworking , sawing, cutting,Hammering etc ? Or are they for drawing,weeding vinyl, layout work ( clean stuff ). or painting. Do they have to be sturdy and not move ? Are they up against a wall ( BENCH tells me they are ) Are they tables ?.......Everyone will have a different answer for this topic. Make what you need to fit your space and budget.

signsbygeorge

We use HDPE ? cutting board matl at approx. 1/8" thick. This matl is esp. good for weeding as you can use your xacto or break-off knife directly on the table. Attached with double sided foam tape; table must be clean for adhesion. Also paint will not stick and can be scraped off if dried on. A thicker version of the same matl is probably better if you can afford it. The table eventually will get cuts and scores everywhere, but I am still using the original tabletops 7yrs later.

N2Harpz

There are several past threads on this subject

Thanks... I guess I need to be a little more specific next time.
I'll do some research and find those threads.

( figuring out this forum is almost as tough as figuring out the new sign shop...... LOL )

graphixplus

I USE OLD SIGN FACES (LEXAN)
CHANGE THEM OUT WHEN I REPLACE A FACE....

THEY CLEAN UP GOOD & MASKING STICKS VERY WELL

OH AND THEY ARE USUALL FREE:Cool 2:

Vinyl Dad

WE have two bench tops.One is lexan,Also a left over from a used sign.And one I made with a fiber glass of some kind.Its used at our local skate park.Did some signs for them and this was given to us.Its super strong.Green in color.Id like to get some more of it.The lexan is great if you don't have to buy it.

imaSIGNr

If you can find an old plate glass from a door or window works great also as a vinyl cutting surface.....You wouldn't want to buy one though.

asignstop

Sentra, The self healing mats, or tempered Glass - with glass you have the option to light from underneath if thick enough, this makes weeding very easy as you can see where the cut lines are - but I heard its hell on eyes after a while, and you will go thru blades like crazy (not to mention very expensive, and most fragile).

You should consider what size also if you are short on shop space I would recommend working on a 30" by 7 foot table this size works great with 30" machines.
Also you may want to decide if you’re going to use a "weber" type application tape holder, and build the table accordingly.

Flame

I have a self healing mat and I LOVE it. It's covered with a grid (which makes cutting easy), and it's painless to cut on. Plus it looks professional.:wink:

The mat alone is over $100 though. Check out www.signwarehouse.com they carry them.

Sign Works

Gotta love the self healing cutting mats, got one a couple years ago when they finally became available in 6' x 12' from Speed Press, I'll never have anything else on my main production table.

WB

We use Low Density polypropylene. They come in 4x8 Sheets, we can get about 1 year from the mats maybe more if you push it.

Checkers

Here's a list of what I've used in the past...
Glass (my preference)- works great as a weeding tabletop only. Insures straight, clean cuts and smooth tape application every time. With care, it will last forever.
Acrylic/Polycarbonate (also my preference) - A cheap (you can get paid by charging a disposal fee to get one) , nearly indesctructable tabletop that can last for quite a long time. You can flip it over when one side gets too grooved and sand it smooth again, when needed. But, you can just do another lighted sign face replacement to get another. I have yet to wear one out and that's at least 5 years. I'm still waiting to land my first back lit face replacement :(
Wood/OSB/Particle board - Some of the franchises use this. It's high maintenance though. When it starts getting grooved (about once a month), just coat it out with some high quality, oil based paint.
Metal - Very durable, but can be tough on your tools/product.
Cutting mats - While they do exactly what they say, I feel the other methods are more cost effective.
PVC - Too soft. In a busy shop, I would replace the tops every other month.
HDPE - Not my first choice, but it works too. I have a HDPE cutting board that I use in my current shop. The thinner material is a little less stable than other choices of similar size. It can buckle when there's a sudden change of temperature.

Checkers

WVB

I wrap the top with sheet metal. If and when it becomes bad I just replace it. Been working great for the past 2 years so far...

animenick65

We use self healing mats here. Just replaced the two on our workbench after 7 years of use. Definatley got our money's worth out of them.

Zapp

Greetings All,

I use glass and acrylic (white), It allows for the use of a 24x48 light fixture under the table which is one sweet way to see it all. A light sanding with 250 to 400 grit on the acrylic will set it back right.