• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Workflow with printer and Plotter

WestcoastSigns

Hi all,
I'm considering a plotter to help with workflow when my SP300 is busy printing. Yes, I know, I read this would happen when you have a print/cut machine and also need to laminate but starting out, this I felt was the best route to go.

My question is, how do you work with the files that you printed on one printer and then cut with another? (and different brand?)

I print through the Versaworks and my file is sitting there after printing. Do I connect a plotter to the VW software and it can cut from there and understand the registration marks? Sorry a newbie at this.

Thanks!

FatCat

I would think in order to use Versaworks files you'll need a Roland plotter. I'd be looking at a Gx-300 to match sizes with your SP300 and have the ability to read optical registration marks.

cfbeagle

I don't know either because my plotter doesn't have an optical eye sensor, but it is my understanding that you have to add the registration marks to the print file in your design program.

In other words say you have a graphtec plotter, you have to add the marks that a graphtec can understand as part of the print file.

/ Geez thats hard to say coherently... it probably makes no sense.
// Probably all wrong too.

WestcoastSigns

I would think in order to use Versaworks files you'll need a Roland plotter. I'd be looking at a Gx-300 to match sizes with your SP300 and have the ability to read optical registration marks.

That's what I was wondering if the plotters read files from different manufacturers or only their own.

I hope to get a larger plotter for down the road when I have a larger printer so I'm not so limited in future.

gnemmas

It is the rip software that has the driver to driver the plotter. a good rip software will have a larger selection of plotter it can cut with.

FatCat

Right, versaworks is Roland software - therefore it only works with Roland hardware.

AFAIK..

WestcoastSigns

Big thanks for the responses. Now I'm starting to understand how this all works. Looks like it will cost more than I thought to do this if I also have to invest in other rip software.

Off to learn more about rip software. It never ends, does it? :smile:

Bill Modzel

I'm running PosterJet as a RIP for printing only and Graphtec's Cutting Master plug in with Illustrator on my MacPro.
Cutting Master set's the registration marks in Illy. I open and print the file with PosterJet in Windows XP>Parallels on the same Mac. Print and laminate and load it in my Graphtec FC7000-100. Back in Illy, open the file and send the cut layer to the plotter with the Cutting Master plug in. Perfect registration and cutting.

Jim Doggett

SummaCut R or Graphtec CE with ARMS. If you're going heavy-duty on contour-cutting, maybe a Summa S Class (way expensive) or a Graphtec FC8000 / Vinyl Express Q Series.

Contour cutting is a real important aspect of the workflow. If it's off, even a tiny amount, you might reject some or all of your lables. Then it's back to the printer, let dry, laminate and do over on the cutter.

I'd definitely go quality on the contour cutter. Summa or Graphtec (Vinyl Express Q) only.

My $0.02,

Jim