• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Worst fonts ever!

WCSign

I know some of you guys have to have fonts that you hate and refuse to use

Comic Sans - for obvious reasons
Papyrus - may be known by another name
Old English styles - all caps infuriates me when I see it done
The buffy the vampire slayer one
The harry potter one

Any others? Im on my phone right now, ill try and post some pics when i get to a pc

edgette

Brush Script. I've had to use it several times to match existing logos or vehicle graphics but it seems like the easy way out when someone says, "give me some kind of script".

anotherdog

Times and Helvetica, does anyone know how many slightly different versions of Times and Helvetica there are?

You always have a different version that the customer. Many times you only discover when it has printed.

You have to have Papyrus installed, how else would you create for Yoga Studios?

aha!creative

Papyrus and Bleeding Cowboy both make me want to punch kittens. BUT... it's a great way to peg your clients taste within 5 seconds of discussing design with them!

sardocs

I letter boats for a yacht manufacturer on a regular basis. Sometime I get to design something I feel is appropriate for the name the boat buyer has chosen, and for the look of the craft and its colour scheme. Then other times the client insists we do this to their new 1.2 million dollar toy.....

Attachments

• dscn9160-web(1).jpg
    dscn9160-web(1).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 74

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Papyrus and Bleeding Cowboy both make me want to punch kittens. BUT... it's a great way to peg your clients taste within 5 seconds of discussing design with them!

Papyrus actually is a very nice type face, its problem is that everyone and their dog used it, and still use it, everywhere and for everything. Its major problem is that it's irrevocably passe from gross over use.

Bleeding Cowboy has no reason to live. None. Not only is it disgusting, it's seriously bad typography.

Copperplate used in any point size more than 12 is abuse and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of just why that face was designed.

The rest of the list of usual suspects; Comic Sans, any sort of black letter, even Brush Script, etc., all have their rare few and far between legitimate uses.

WCSign

always hated Mistral
LOL hate it now, but 15 + years ago I got a tattoo with it!

Brush Script. I've had to use it several times to match existing logos or vehicle graphics but it seems like the easy way out when someone says, "give me some kind of script".
yeah its a go to

Times and Helvetica, does anyone know how many slightly different versions of Times and Helvetica there are?

You always have a different version that the customer. Many times you only discover when it has printed.

You have to have Papyrus installed, how else would you create for Yoga Studios?
Agreed on the helvetica... they are tricky

LMAO on the papyrus.. dont forget the Thai food joints

SignosaurusRex

About 95% of what is legitimately free and 40% of pay for fonts are totally worthless and have no use what so ever in any respectable library. The rest all have a legitimate use somewhere, sometime.

S'N'S

Algerian and the 20 other names for it on the net.
Curlz loopy hairdressers seem to like it, says it all really.
Cooper looks like what kids drew at school when bored.

heyskull

My pet hates are:-

Brush Script......Scream,
Commercial Script......for a script it is so dead,
Clarendon, as it is just a horrible font,

My most hated of all fonts is Old English, I now have a personal vendetta against this font as loads of customers want it especially all caps!!!! I hate it, hate it, hate it......rant, rant rant,

SC

gabagoo

OK, here is how I generally see Arial....seems to be used by someone new in this business who can't scroll down farther than an inch before he finds a font..... Look at the beautiful way they laid this out and notice the truly incredible bumper graphic.

The side of the truck looked like vomit on chit as well.
Would you want this guy to roll up to your house to do work? NOT ME!!!

This guys marketing ideas are as putrid as his vehicle lol

and now back to your regularly scheduled thread!!!:thankyou::design:

Attachments

• ariel nightmare.JPG
    ariel nightmare.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited: