• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Worth of my old coins

Drip Dry

Recently I found a shoebox of old coins. At least one of them go back to the 1800's. Came from my mother before she passed. Didn't even remember I had them.

So I would like to know the worth of them. I can download a variety of apps to take a picture and apparently it will give me a guide of what their worth. I don't want to walk into a coin dealer blind and get screwed.

has anyone used any of these apps and do they work. I have no problem paying the price they want if it works

Thanks
Jim

Drip Dry

a long time ago you used to use a book
there is no shortcut
you need to look at condition of each coin and evaluate
Yes, I'm just looking for an approximate value. If I have a silver dollar, I would like to know if it may be worth just a dollar or 5K
I don't want to leave it to some rip off masquerading as a reputable dealer in a store front
Has anybody used one of these apps ?
Remember, it's just for a guide

Johnny Best

I had $100 of silver quarters and sold them for almost $3500. Silver coins such as dimes and quarters are worth a lot as I found out.
My father had bought the $100 of quarters for a $1,000 in the 60s (the receipt was still in the bag).

Scootershooter

I had $100 of silver quarters and sold them for almost $3500. Silver coins such as dimes and quarters are worth a lot as I found out.
My father had bought the $100 of quarters for a $1,000 in the 60s (the receipt was still in the bag).
I have a few old silver dollars, and have been seeing prices in the $35. area, just as your experience.

JBurton

Signtologist
If I'm following right, you could have sold them for a lot more?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My wife's father had several rather extensive coin collections, worth $1,000s..... many thousands. However, her son had stolen coins out of the various collections making them worth quite a bit less. We found this out going through them, getting ready for the sale. We still got $ 1,000's of dollars for what was left. I remember one dime alone was worth something like $3,000. That was 1990 and we did it at an auction.

JBurton

Signtologist
You following me? Is that you on the electric bike with Pokémon stickers?
Naw man.
hoverboard-fatkid.gif

I was trying to understand whether you sold each for 3,500, or the whole lot? $1,000 in 1960's dollars is a lot more than $3,500 isn't it?

Johnny Best

The whole lot for that. Do not remember the price of silver when I sold them but it was the highest in 20 something years. Also have some gold coins to sell when the price of gold goes way up. I have them in a safe place so Gino's stepson does not take, steal them.