• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you switch?

Creative_Lance

I need an advice!
I am using the original Roland ink cartridges and the magenta is almost running out so i called Fellers and spoke to a good representative there and she said that they sell Solaris Max and it's $85 vs $120 for Roland's.
My question is: would it void the warranty on the printer if i used 3rd part ink?

Flame

Yes, it usually voids the warranty if you use 3rd party ink. A lot of these ink companies make "hack inks" that don't work well and are often not tested extensively for each model of printer, and can cause a lot of problems. Thus, manufactuers do not offer a warrenty if you do not use their inks.

My suggestion, stick with oem... and once your warranty runs out and you think you want to try it, try Triangle. They have a good reputation.

texas_D

They cannot void the warranty, it is illegal....

The Use of Compatible Supplies Cannot Void Your Manufacturer Warranty
MAGNUSON-MOSS
Warranty Improvement Act
United States Code Annotated
Title 15 Commerce and Trade
Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties 15 Section 2302
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if:
1. The warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
2. The Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
How This Affects You!
The use of our printer cartridges does not void your printer warranty. The manufacturer of the printer you are using cannot void the warranty on your printer because you use a cartridge or refill kit manufactured by someone other than the printer manufacturer. This prohibition includes the use of compatible cartridges and remanufactured cartridges.
U.S. law also prohibits the manufacturers of your equipment from requiring the use of OEM ink or toner or charging extra fees if you use products other than OEM products with their equipment. Those requirements and/or fees are in violation of existing anti-trust acts:
The Sherman and Clayton Antitrust Acts
(see also: Supreme Court decision: IBM vs. The United States 1936)
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/div_stats/1638.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
IBM vs. The United States
(The Sherman and Clayton Antitrust Law)
The Supreme Court (IBM vs. The United States) held that IBM could not threaten customers with termination of their data processing equipment leases just because they did not use supplies manufactured by IBM. Such practice constituted a tying agreement and was found to be in violation of the Sherman and Clayton Antitrust Law.
How This Affects You!
Free choice of vendor allows for competition and keeps prices affordable. Your printer manufacturers are aware of lower priced supplies. Threatening to void warranties and add additional service call charges for use of compatible ink or toner are their way of trying to limit competition. Save this information to protect yourself against these illegal actions. Our manufacturer is Heiber Compliant! Feel safe with our product. The Heiber patents (U.S. Patent Nos. 5,223,068, 5,525,183, 5,407,518, 5,676,794) cover methods and equipment for the splitting and resealing of many of the popular HP models. As a result, any toner product purchased from us is compliant with these patents.

The Sherman Antitrust Act is a USA Federal law prohibiting any contract, trust, or conspiracy in restraint of interstate or foreign trade.
TheSherman Act also provides that no person shall monopolize, attempt to monopolize or conspire with another to monopolize interstate or foreigntrade or commerce. A felony, an individual violating these laws may be jailed for up to three years and fined up to $350,000 per violation.Corporations may be fined up to $10 million per violation.
• Section1 of the Sherman Act outlaws "every contract, combination . . ., or conspiracy, in restraint of trade," but long ago, the Supreme Court decided that the Sherman Act prohibits only those contracts or agreements that restrain trade unreasonably. What kinds of agreements are unreasonable is up to the courts.
• Section2 of the Sherman Act makes it unlawful for a company to"monopolize, or attempt to monopolize," trade or commerce. As that law has been interpreted, it is not necessarily illegal for a company to have a monopoly or to try to achieve a monopoly position.The law is violated only if the company tries to maintain or acquire a monopoly position through unreasonable methods. For the courts, a key factor in determining what is unreasonable is whether the practice has a legitimate business justification.
• Section5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act outlaws "unfair methods of competition" but does not define unfair. The Supreme Court has ruled that violations of the Sherman Act also are violations of Section 5, but Section 5 covers some practices that are beyond the scope of the Sherman Act. It is the FTC’s job to enforce Section 5.

cgsigns_jamie

I need an advice!
I am using the original Roland ink cartridges and the magenta is almost running out so i called Fellers and spoke to a good representative there and she said that they sell Solaris Max and it's $85 vs $120 for Roland's.
My question is: would it void the warranty on the printer if i used 3rd part ink?

$120, are your running 440's?

I personally would stick with the OEM ink. I've heard a lot of bad stories from members here who have had bed experiences with third party ink. I'd rather pay a few dollars more for the piece of mind that comes with OEM ink. Your charging the customer for the ink anyways ;-)

Capital Signs

I am using the Solaris Ink as we speak, magenta actually. So far so good! Highly recommended by 3-4 reputable sources here... Still have another 3 months to go on my warranty... And they cant refuse to service it!

Capital Signs

I bought the 220 set to try it out. I dont know why you would use the 220... Too much money to waste on ink, might as well get the big dawgs :)

mystysue

we use the smaller ones.. as it really only saves you like 5 dollars..
and I dont like how far out the 220 stick out.. ..
we have tired the 220 and found the savings was mimimal.. when you think how long the ink last..

Capital Signs

I'd prefer to keep the 5 dollars... I guess it's to each his own. I dont like how the 440's stick out, the 220s dont stick out but about .5 inches... Not sure why you have a problem with the 220's sticking out, you sure it's in all the way? (I'm sure your talking about the 440s) LOL

mystysue

Yups i meant the 440's sticking out.. ..
my mind is fried .. been so busy i cant see or think straight..

cdiesel

We run Triangle inks on both of our machines. It's WAY less expensive than OEM, and it's warrantied through our dealer. Also, Triangle has a very good rep for having a high quality ink.
Don't buy into that Magnuson-Moss stuff--that was meant in a totally different context, and Roland's lawyers wouldn't have a hard time in court. It was meant to keep auto manufacturers from making you use THEIR oil filters, air filters and such, instead of FRAM or the like. The burden would fall on you to prove that the 3rd party inks did not harm the machine.

mystysue

Tech..
I agree the price differance per job is so minimal.. its not worth fiddling with differant inks to me.

pacmn

we use Triangle inks ,have used it for about 7moths with not a single problem half the cost of oem , you can't go wrong. plus my dealer picks up the warranty

cdiesel

On a job by job basis, it's not a huge amount of money. When you're using just a liter of ink per color, per month (on a six color machine) using 440ml Roland carts, you're going to spend $1759. Using Triangle inks, we spend $654 for the same amount of ink. If you use more ink, you save even more. The ink system itself runs about $1200, so it pays for itself in about a month.
Bulk systems aren't for everyone, but if you're doing the volume, you can save a bundle. Also, if you're doing unattended printing (which you probably are if you're using that much ink), you don't have to worry about running out of ink in the middle of the night.