• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Wrap removal on an aluminum tank truck

okeesignguy

A local oil company (not a customer of ours) that brought a truck in for wrap removal... A job that should have been done years ago...
I do know it was done with 3M vinyl of some sort...

They want to know a price but we're not sure we even want to tackle it...it looks like it will be a nightmare...
I have attached some pictures here for your review...

We have making signs for 43 plus years but have limited wrap experience doing only a few vans and trucks per year, by choice :)
It would be done outside...in the Florida heat as our shop is too small to put it inside...

I would love any tips as to whether or not we should even bother with it and tips as to how to do it the easiest way... LOL
We tested a few spots on the sides and it didn't seem too bad however the back looks as tho it could be a real nightmare...

Thank you for any help given...Gary

Attachments

• 20220914_144421.jpg
    20220914_144421.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 490
  • 20220914_144453.jpg
    20220914_144453.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • 20220914_144430.jpg
    20220914_144430.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • 20220914_144433.jpg
    20220914_144433.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145

rjssigns

I bid removals as time and materials because you never know if it will be a breeze or PITA.
Did a removal on a boat transom that took 3 hours. Heat, steam, solvent, nothing worked except hard labor. Came off in tiny strings and chips.

signheremd

Wall-paper steamer... dangerous to use heat (though sun will warm it up for you), but when you need heat on any fuel vehicle a wall-paper steamer is the way to go. Lil Chiseler scrappers help. We also have 4" Plastic Safety Scrapers (Item SRWGPO) we got off of Amazon. Some Rapid Remover to get left behind adhesive off, followed with Alcohol to get the oils let by the remover. I would estimate this truck as 2 days for 2 men due to the cracked condition. Might be able to do it quicker, but don't under estimate the workload. We usually charge time and materials, so bill actual time.

We also have a MBX Vinyl Zapper tool - basically a large electric eraser for vinyl, heavy duty. This thing works well, but each wheel is like $35 and you do want to take care not to spin it in one spot too long - the heat can transfer color from the vinyl to the paint. Probably take two wheels to do this job.

You might consider putting up a tent to cut some sun, an big fan to blow on you while you work, some sunscreen, big trash can nearby to toss the old vinyl as you go. We also have a table on wheels (like a mechanic's tool cart) so we have a place to sit stuff. Have a thermos with cold water and a bluetooth speaker and enjoy some tunes .

okeesignguy

Are you talking about a commercial hot water pressure cleaner?
We have access to one of those...
Please tell me more...
Also....you are located in Fort Pierce???

okeesignguy

Wall-paper steamer... dangerous to use heat (though sun will warm it up for you), but when you need heat on any fuel vehicle a wall-paper steamer is the way to go. Lil Chiseler scrappers help. We also have 4" Plastic Safety Scrapers (Item SRWGPO) we got off of Amazon. Some Rapid Remover to get left behind adhesive off, followed with Alcohol to get the oils let by the remover. I would estimate this truck as 2 days for 2 men due to the cracked condition. Might be able to do it quicker, but don't under estimate the workload. We usually charge time and materials, so bill actual time.

We also have a MBX Vinyl Zapper tool - basically a large electric eraser for vinyl, heavy duty. This thing works well, but each wheel is like $35 and you do want to take care not to spin it in one spot too long - the heat can transfer color from the vinyl to the paint. Probably take two wheels to do this job.

You might consider putting up a tent to cut some sun, an big fan to blow on you while you work, some sunscreen, big trash can nearby to toss the old vinyl as you go. We also have a table on wheels (like a mechanic's tool cart) so we have a place to sit stuff. Have a thermos with cold water and a bluetooth speaker and enjoy some tunes .
You really sound like you've been down this road a few times :)
Thank you for this great advice!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Are you talking about a commercial hot water pressure cleaner?
We have access to one of those...
Please tell me more...
Also....you are located in Fort Pierce???
Yes and Yes. All of the adhesive will be on it still. It isn't easy but I have a shop full of laborers, a wash rack and am in Fort Pierce. The detail guy we use isnt cheap but he will rubber wheel the hard parts off then spend 3 days cleaning it up.
I think that tank is gonna look like crap after. We have a high speed polishing guy if needed and also do it here but I think this thing is gonna be a can of worms. That company has the money though. There is no way that I'd quote a hard price.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Plus, you can see what appears to be rust bleed on the back half which will need to be blasted and painted. We also do that. I have no problem telling them to go back to you for lettering if that is the part that you want to do.

A local oil company (not a customer of ours) that brought a truck in for wrap removal... A job that should have been done years ago...

They want to know a price but we're not sure we even want to tackle it...it looks like it will be a nightmare...

We have making signs for 43 plus years but have limited wrap experience doing only a few vans and trucks per year, by choice :)
It would be done outside...in the Florida heat as our shop is too small to put it inside...

I would love any tips as to whether or not we should even bother with it and tips as to how to do it the easiest way... LOL
We tested a few spots on the sides and it didn't seem too bad however the back looks as tho it could be a real nightmare...

Thank you for any help given...

Well as far as decal removal goes this is not at the beginner level. Not saying that you cannot do this but it will cost you time and money and earn you experience for certain. Somebody offered to help that has some experience with this I would consider taking them up on this just to use the wisdom of another.
From your photos I can tell that the material is quite old and anything that is installed onto a aluminum or stainless surface always is more difficult. From what I can tell on the sides it looks as if the material is cracked but it may be that only the laminate is cracked and it will come off in a sheet mostly. The rear photos show the material being spider cracked completely, this we no longer consider to be vinyl and will only come off, economically, with pressure blasting or an application of paint remover. When we do a job like this we don't hesitate to brush on paint remover(in a well ventilated area) because the surface underneath is bare/unpainted and not subject to damage from the paint remover . This will probably leave all the adhesive like what was mentioned already and you will need some adhesive remover to get the residue off. Remember that when spraying your adhesive remover it should be applied when the adhesive is dry.
I guess the real issue here is that when material is this degraded you have to touch the surface and sometimes this causes scratching scraping or scuffing and that may be the biggest concern. If using little chizzlers remember that every time you touch the surface with one to lift the material, it's probably going to scuff a polished metal that may be underneath. I would inform the customer that the material has been left on their way past the durability rating and removal is most possibly going to leave some form of damage behind on the surface. The surface condition is not part of the removal contract when removing material left on past its rated use. Any high-speed polishing and special cleaning would have to be the customers concern and they may have a company that does that for them already. They may not be concerned about what it's going to look like if they are selling it or if they are reapplying decals so before proceeding make sure that there is an open line of communication with the person who makes the decisions with that company. Good luck and please follow up with your successful photos of the Endeavor that you are ready to take.

okeesignguy

Plus, you can see what appears to be rust bleed on the back half which will need to be blasted and painted. We also do that. I have no problem telling them to go back to you for lettering if that is the part that you want to do.
That is not rust...they tried spreading airplane stripper on that section to help removal LOL

okeesignguy

Well as far as decal removal goes this is not at the beginner level. Not saying that you cannot do this but it will cost you time and money and earn you experience for certain. Somebody offered to help that has some experience with this I would consider taking them up on this just to use the wisdom of another.
From your photos I can tell that the material is quite old and anything that is installed onto a aluminum or stainless surface always is more difficult. From what I can tell on the sides it looks as if the material is cracked but it may be that only the laminate is cracked and it will come off in a sheet mostly. The rear photos show the material being spider cracked completely, this we no longer consider to be vinyl and will only come off, economically, with pressure blasting or an application of paint remover. When we do a job like this we don't hesitate to brush on paint remover(in a well ventilated area) because the surface underneath is bare/unpainted and not subject to damage from the paint remover . This will probably leave all the adhesive like what was mentioned already and you will need some adhesive remover to get the residue off. Remember that when spraying your adhesive remover it should be applied when the adhesive is dry.
I guess the real issue here is that when material is this degraded you have to touch the surface and sometimes this causes scratching scraping or scuffing and that may be the biggest concern. If using little chizzlers remember that every time you touch the surface with one to lift the material, it's probably going to scuff a polished metal that may be underneath. I would inform the customer that the material has been left on their way past the durability rating and removal is most possibly going to leave some form of damage behind on the surface. The surface condition is not part of the removal contract when removing material left on past its rated use. Any high-speed polishing and special cleaning would have to be the customers concern and they may have a company that does that for them already. They may not be concerned about what it's going to look like if they are selling it or if they are reapplying decals so before proceeding make sure that there is an open line of communication with the person who makes the decisions with that company. Good luck and please follow up with your successful photos of the Endeavor that you are ready to take.
All great advise and I agree 100%........we are so busy making signs (in the comfort of an air conditioned shop) that I am beginning to consider passing on the job any way...
It's looking like a road we would wish that we never went down! LOL Thanx!

signheremd

One thought this morning: remeber the angle you pull the vinyl up at impacts its ability to come off in one piece and with the adhesive (to some degree). Try pulling at 45 and 90 degrees, usually 135 degrees and 180 degrees are both too much. Scrapers and Lil Chiseler are to start the vinyl, not scrap it completely off.

johnnysigns

If you're busy, I wouldn't take the job. No matter what method you use, it's going to basically stink no matter how it's taken off. We've done citrus paint remover and a hot pressure wash to blow it off when I was doing fleet work. I know that method works, but it's going to blow all that remover and all those little bits and chips any and everywhere during the removal.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

We would probably not do this job. We quote a per hour removal ($110) and it looks like this one might take more than an hour :).
For removal we use goo gone, heat gun. We do have a steamer. This looks pretty baked on. Regardless of the brand used, once it's fried, it's fried and difficult to come off. Fellers has a tool. It's almost like a belt sander but has strips to remove. horus works eraser wheel.

okeesignguy

OK.....discussion has ended as far as we are concerned...
WE PASSED ON THE JOB.......
Thank you all for your valued input....
I didn't really want to do it in the first place and ya'll helped confirm that for me...
THANX EVERYBODY!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome.

Til they get to doing it, it might fall the rest of the way off and then ya just hata wash the danged thing.