• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a car for $120 bucks

Letterbox Mike

Hard to say, it almost looks like Oracal 970 wrap film but he looks of it, I think I can almost see the Oracal grid on the backing paper in one of the photos. Laying it wet ain't the smartest...

And those wheels are sexy, almost bought them for my Mini.

GP

he says the vinyl is oracal. He gets it from his "buddy who does stickers on the side."

Have to hand it to him, the install is better than I can do...

GP

BROWNDOG

he mentioned waxing the car, is it better to leave the wax off, or does it make it easier to remove down the road

Its a great install and mad props to the guy for doing it!

Since so many cool colors come Matte in the 631, it makes me want to do my car

acothran

The guy did a nice job on the install but I'm skeptical on his pricing. He said he used Oracal and a 25yd x 48" piece (300 sq/ft). It should be 970RA which only comes in 60" and would be about 4X the price of ALL of his materials. Oracal 631 would fit his price range but it only comes in a max width of 30". I can't find an Oracal Matte Black vinyl that comes in 48" or larger rolls (could've been cut down) for the price he gave. I could assume his buddy just gave him a great deal on his vinyl (maybe it was left over from another job) but I think it is misleading to say you put $400+ of vinyl on a car for $120, especially to those DIYers.

Allen

Mason

The guy did a nice job on the install but I'm skeptical on his pricing. He said he used Oracal and a 25yd x 48" piece (300 sq/ft). It should be 970RA which only comes in 60" and would be about 4X the price of ALL of his materials. Oracal 631 would fit his price range but it only comes in a max width of 30". I can't find an Oracal Matte Black vinyl that comes in 48" or larger rolls (could've been cut down) for the price he gave. I could assume his buddy just gave him a great deal on his vinyl (maybe it was left over from another job) but I think it is misleading to say you put $400+ of vinyl on a car for $120, especially to those DIYers.

Allen
The 48" roll is suspect, which is why I am of a firm belief that it is the Hexis brand of matte that was used here, and no frickin way it cost $120.

GypsyGraphics

I don't care who he got it from, it ain't 970 RA (60") or Hexis 20000 (54"), if he got it at that price! And these are the only two flat black paint replacement vinyl that don't need lamination. Got a roll of each sitting right here, both way over $500!

He also couldn't have laminated it at that price, so it's gonna look like crap pretty darn quick. Saw a bottle of Rapid Tac in one of the photos... hope he used some Rapid Prep to get his wax job off! :doh:

Good practice I guess but, should done his homework. However, gotta appreciate the effort and not a half bad job at that.

Last edited:

jiarby

either way... he bought SOMETHING... and got it on there. Good for him!

I like the part about 2 qts of app fluid! but don't use it on the bumpers!