• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a car for $120 bucks

btropical.com

My nephew wants his fox body done 1986 ish mustang we figured $300 in cost 75 sq ft if we do it on the cheap but dammmmmmmmmm 120 ?

GypsyGraphics

My nephew wants his fox body done 1986 ish mustang we figured $300 in cost 75 sq ft if we do it on the cheap but dammmmmmmmmm 120 ?

$120? $300? Using what?
It doesn't help anyone to hear these kind of rock bottom prices without details on the materials used. Which is why we're all speculating or suspicious.

So, glad we can at least ask you for details btropical, hope you don't mind letting us know.

thanks, Gigi

Last edited:

jasonx

maybe a year or so. The vinyl i chose last up to 4 years....

I fully detailed the car prior to vinyling including:
- Full car wash, Clay bar'ed the car, and waxed just to be sure the car was flawless.

A friend of mine does stickers on the side, so he has a supplier...i could ask him who they are, so i just bought my vinyl from him

i used Oracle 631... 3 yr vinyl

There you go guys. He Still did an awesome job installing a monomeric vinyl on a vehicle. It just won't last if his going to use that car outside in the sun and what not.

B Snyder

I can't find 631 in a bigger roll then 30.. do i smell BS from that guy?

I agree... doesn't pass the smell test!

Available Widths (in inches)
15 punched, 24, 30, 48

Available Lengths
10-yard rolls and 50-yard rolls

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=182&tabID=ts

Sure Oracal has those sizes, but not in anything that was intended for wrapping without lamination.

What's with the "sure....but," Gypsy?

acothran

Hexis brand of matte that was used here

Mason - The Hexis HX3000 comes in 54" rolls and is not anywhere close to that price. On average, the Hexis HX20000 (standard colors/metallics) & HX30000 (mattes, carbon fiber, & pearls) are cheaper than Oracal but not dirt cheap. The Hexis would be at least 3X higher than the price he listed.

Allen

skyhigh

everyone is missing the BIG question.....

What is HOG doing on a BMW forum? Lets see your ride House.
And the real big question.....Could he possibly be the "sticker buddy"?

anyways, the guy did a nice install.....unfortunately, we all know it won't last long.
Maybe he put 2 coats of wax on, so it was super flawless.....hahaha

everyone is missing the BIG question.....

What is HOG doing on a BMW forum? Lets see your ride House.
And the real big question.....Could he possibly be the "sticker buddy"?

anyways, the guy did a nice install.....unfortunately, we all know it won't last long.
Maybe he put 2 coats of wax on, so it was super flawless.....hahaha

I got a email from a friend with a M3 that wanted to do this.
He asked me to order the vinyl.

Here is my car

IMG_9038.jpg

skyhigh

Come on HOG....lets see whats pulling that trailer. I think your holding out on us.

ps. tell YOUR buddy not to wax the car first.

SurfaceSigns

If he used the Oracal 631, there is no doubt he could have bought the vinyl for $120, as claimed. Just a quick look online and I found SignWarehouse.com sells if for .38 per sqft, making 300 sqft $114. Was it made for this use, not a chance, but, this kid made it work, and frankly, the job looks pretty good from the pictures.

The bottom line is that he was willing to put in the time (8 days), and doesn't put a value on his time (none of us do when doing a DIY project). The better question for the kid is, how much would you charge to do this job? Are you willing to work for free?

Much of what we do as sign guys/gals is priced on "perceived value", as well as a full costing on materials, labor, shop expenses, etc. We can't expect a DIYer to consider those things.

Cadmn

well the calls will be rolling in for DIYers wanting material & we'll get the but you only got $120 in materials so why you want XXX to do it on my car hell a "cave Man" can do it, so why ya ripping Me off

got some 631 and doing my car. :rock-n-roll:

stuff is not that bad to work with.
45mins into it

attachment.php

Attachments

• 28207_564764645451_49006160_32704857_67892_n.jpg
    28207_564764645451_49006160_32704857_67892_n.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 105