• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping cold painted plywood - cold weather!

Signsforwhile

We have scheduled wrapping a painted plywood wall at an outdoor mall this week. We've done this plenty of times, just never had to do it when it was barely 40 out.

Basically planning on using a large propane torch (like ones used in flat roofing) to warm up the wall slighty and then heat up the vinyl once installed. Go over with roller pro and pray it sticks? Not sure if we should bring our torpedo heater and run in. Not sure how much of that heat will make it to the wall.

letterman7

I think more is going to depend on what the ply is painted with rather than the temperatures. If it's a latex coat with the silicone in it, nothing is going to stick even if it's 80° outside. Better to find that out first, then deal with the actual application.

For what it's worth, I've applied vinyl (not a wrap) to painted ply in temps that were in the sub 20's years ago. Put it up, hit it with a heat gun for a few minutes, then carefully peel the transfer tape. Hit it again with the heat gun and rub down.. stayed that way for years until the sign was replaced.

Circleville Signs

Don't guarantee a damn thing. If they insist on doing it a certain way against your professional advice, then have them sign a waiver stating that you are held harmless against any material failures.

FWIW, coro is dirt *** cheap. I don't know how big this wrap is, but even if it's 10 sheets of coro, your cost couldn't be more than $100. I'd be charging them way more than that in PITA charges.

Signsforwhile

went well!! picked up a 175,000 btu torpedo heater. ran it facing the wall for 5 minutes where the next panel was going. warmed up the wall very well. killed the heater, hung the vinyl panel, then kicked the heater back on while squeegeing it. leaving the heater on while removing the backing and hanging the vinyl left for mushy vinyl so we had to turn it off during that. not a bad day for a high of 35!

sorry for offsite photos, couldnt get uploader to work today...

Attachments

• 2013-02-12142029_zpse650a464.jpg
    2013-02-12142029_zpse650a464.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 80
  • 2013-02-12160651_zps47fa2c09.jpg
    2013-02-12160651_zps47fa2c09.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2013-02-12160742_zpse58c4136.jpg
    2013-02-12160742_zpse58c4136.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator: