• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wraps alone

WOODBS

Just wondering what techniques, tips are being used for guys wrapping with no help? I like the magnets for positioning, than tape,etc...

MikePro

be extra obsessive about cleaning your tile perimeters! if your edges don't stick/wrap...you're SCREWED!

plan your trims and pre-fineline. Too easy to forget and once you get to that point, you want to get frustrated and "just cut it", buuuuut car paint is much softer than your blade.

jasonx

I use magnets for holding my panels to the vehicle. I use them tape once in position to create alignment tabs so when I get the backing off I know where to re align the panel.

I someitmes use an alluminium extrusions and tape it to the vinyl to keep it nice and flat so it doesn't fold over itself

WOODBS

Jason, so yu peel all the backing off each panel? I used a pvc pipe today to roll the vinyl up on as I applied top to bottom..worked pretty well keeping the roll straight instead of bending on each side.

ericmitchell29

Whats the largest panel you guys have laid down horizontal by yourself?
I've got a 5x 16' panel to lay down, considering 8 and 8 but would love to just lay it down in one shot.

I've never seen anyone wrap a vehicle by himself. But I saw an old boy installing 5' x 12' wall mural panels solo. He had squeegees in both hands giving it hell.

Des6139

I used a pvc pipe today to roll the vinyl up on as I applied top to bottom..worked pretty well keeping the roll straight instead of bending on each side.[/QUOTE] Try just rolling the sheet up,from the bottom

jasonx

Jason, so yu peel all the backing off each panel? I used a pvc pipe today to roll the vinyl up on as I applied top to bottom..worked pretty well keeping the roll straight instead of bending on each side.

It depends on the material and the installation. If I'm doing a passenger vehicle with horizontal panels I tend to do a vertical hinge and apply from the middle out then remove the rest of the backing paper and apply the other side. When I say apply I don't mean the whole panel I mean enough so the panel will hold its position and won't fold over itself.

If I'm doing vertical panels on a box truck I position the panel. Horizontal hinge it say4-6 inches down and apply the top. I either then roll up the panel from the bottom or simply keep pulling the backing paper down behind the panel while pushing with one hand on the front of the panel. The folded backing paper creates a bridge keeping the vinyl off the surface because I apply it with the squeegee.

I sometimes in this situation uses my extrusions to tack the top of the vinyl to the extrusion. I then lift this up and tack it to the top of the truck or the van rain guard etc. It ensures I have the panel flat and am not introducing any tension so high up a long panel.

WOODBS

I used a pvc pipe today to roll the vinyl up on as I applied top to bottom..worked pretty well keeping the roll straight instead of bending on each side.
Try just rolling the sheet up,from the bottom[/QUOTE]
yeah did that for years, but tends to bend at each end, especially in 100 degrees

WOODBS

It depends on the material and the installation. If I'm doing a passenger vehicle with horizontal panels I tend to do a vertical hinge and apply from the middle out then remove the rest of the backing paper and apply the other side. When I say apply I don't mean the whole panel I mean enough so the panel will hold its position and won't fold over itself.

If I'm doing vertical panels on a box truck I position the panel. Horizontal hinge it say4-6 inches down and apply the top. I either then roll up the panel from the bottom or simply keep pulling the backing paper down behind the panel while pushing with one hand on the front of the panel. The folded backing paper creates a bridge keeping the vinyl off the surface because I apply it with the squeegee.

I sometimes in this situation uses my extrusions to tack the top of the vinyl to the extrusion. I then lift this up and tack it to the top of the truck or the van rain guard etc. It ensures I have the panel flat and am not introducing any tension so high up a long panel.

Like to see these extrusions..post a pic when you can

GypsyGraphics

I wrap alone, magnets are great, but when it comes to the top, i don't have much of a reach. Here's a pic of my solution to doing the roof without an extra set of hands... set up a section of scaffolding spanning the car, tucked a hockey stick in either side to hold up pvc, and just rolled the vinyl off as i went... looks funky, but worked pretty darn well.
shop_wrap-2.jpg

Whats the largest panel you guys have laid down horizontal by yourself?
I've got a 5x 16' panel to lay down, considering 8 and 8 but would love to just lay it down in one shot.

I did a couple 52"x20' last week for a transit bus. Taped it up, marked it with my grease pencil, then rolled it and peel out about 2' at a time, tacket it along my grease marks, then went back and re-tacked pieces here and there, flattened it out with the torch, and voila. Would have been way easier with two people, but did what I had to do.

jasonx

R
I wrap alone, magnets are great, but when it comes to the top, i don't have much of a reach. Here's a pic of my solution to doing the roof without an extra set of hands... set up a section of scaffolding spanning the car, tucked a hockey stick in either side to hold up pvc, and just rolled the vinyl off as i went... looks funky, but worked pretty darn well.
View attachment 52330

ROOFTOR(tm)

EmpireGFX.com

View attachment 52330

Is that the flat black wrap on the camry you were talking about in your other thread? Looks like it is coming out pretty well!

GypsyGraphics

R

ROOFTOR(tm)
Rooftor :ROFLMAO:
Jason, what do you suppose i can get for that contraption?

Is that the flat black wrap on the camry you were talking about in your other thread? Looks like it is coming out pretty well!
Yep, that's the one. The body kit bumpers turned out to be a frigg'n nightmare... that's a story for a new thread. I'll post the story and pics next week.

Last edited:

Mikeifg

You can market that with the drywall hanger. I see much potential in that you need to get it patented.