• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Xd-540 test print troubleshooting.

Jharris81

So first post on here. The company I work for bought a printer used and I have been doing my best to keep it going. At this point we don’t do very much printing with it. I keep up on cleaning and if we don’t print anything for awhile I run something through just so it is putting down some ink. Well went to do a paying customer job and ran a test print and the print did not go well. Any assistance would be greatly appropriated. We are ver new to printing so kind don’t know what to do next. I have run the head cleaning a few times and that helped a little but not much.
111ad538879da8c1787022e1003d1aeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jharris81

The company we got it from said they had just had tech out a week before we bought it and they had replaced them in the last year I think. I don’t know what they would look like if they were bad though.

Jharris81

9815dd9d8f786234d09d7df8ac300917.jpg

0d21994eb41d532d84f6ecd9d82963de.jpg

Well I just ran a test print from verse works and seemed to of solved the problem.

E Coloney

Roland says to change cap tops every six months (although they'll generally last longer). Change the springs every so often, too, probably after several years. Change them now to establish a baseline. One of the problems with the heads is lack of use. The solvent ink is self-cleaning to some degree and thus while the heads are "consumable", lack of use is detrimental.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Your magenta cap is wet. That means it's not draining properly. Def need to replace that cap. Might as well do that batch if you haven't ever done them. Keep the hoses from a couple to keep in your tool box so you can use them for a syringe. They help.

Looks like you are having trouble with your light Cyan channel too. The cap replace might fix that. I would pinch off the drain hose and fill the cap with cleaning fluid. Soak that head for a bit and see if it will recover that channel. You might also have to replace the left damper on that head.

Here's a video on how to replace the captops:

Jharris81

Thank you for the diagnosis. I will get working on those fixes and see what I end up with.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I suggest checking both light cyan cartridges to make sure they have ink in them. What ink brand are you using? I have run into this issue several times where the ink cartridge was empty, but the "really empty" ink end tab did not come out of the cartridge far enough to close the ink sensor micro switch.

Jharris81

I just replaced one of the light cyan 3 days ago. I was curious if the other one was empty as well. Can I pull it out and shake it to see how much is in it? Heard you weren’t suppose to remove partially used cartridges. If is empty is there a way to “prime “ the line or does it not need that type of thing?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Power the printer off, both switches, and then pull cartridges to check. If you pull cartridges with the power on, it will reset the display counter. The empty tab will stop the printer regardless of ink level display, as the display is an indication only.

Jharris81

Thank you, will try that today and see what happens. I would prefer the easy fix then something else.

Jharris81

Well I pulled the cartridge out and feels like there is plenty of ink sloshing around in there and the other one is full. So does each cartridge feed one side of the head or do the 2 cartridges feed together and then feed into the print head?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Each cartridge supplies 1 side of the head. I would suggest replacing the ribbon on that side and also the damper and the O-ring on top of the damper. Is there ink in that line and damper?

Jharris81

Haven’t got that far yet. Been researching that stuff and kinda tearing into it but by bit. Don’t want to get to far without some backup. Lol

Jharris81

So I pulled the damper off and was able to use a syringe and pull ink through both dampers. I pulled the cables and reseated them but still nothing on that side of the head.

Jharris81

Would I be able to swap the two cables. If it were the cables the problem would follow that cable, unless it was back down the line into the boards that is.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Now that you are getting into Electrical be very careful to unplug the printer before playing with ribbon cables. Also... when you put things back together make sure those cables are straight in the plug. Any cross fire can fry boards, heads etc. Be very methodical and careful.

Yes, you can swap cables.

Before doing that though, pinch off the ink line to the good side and draw ink through the captop while the carriage is in the home position. Make sure ink flows out that side. If so, then it could be elecrtrical.

Jharris81

Well I was very careful as I am with any electrical things and this is what I have now!
ec3c73199359f73e758ff1ec717604c1.jpg

I’m going to have a tech come out and look at it. Don’t know what I did but it’s worse now. Had the printer unplugged, made sure the cable were properly seated and something didn’t go well I guess.