• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yaa! Got my 1204 today!

letterman7

Used, but looks to be in great shape thanks to one of the forum contributors, Graphic Resource Systems over in NJ. Now, what I didn't expect was it to have a choice between a USB and a network cable hookup. From a practical standpoint, which would be the better way to go? My USB ports are pretty well stacked out, and I'm already running a hub, so if I went that route, it would have to be plugged into the hub. I could add a network card easily enough; I'd just have to figger out how to identify the printer off the card.

Any preferences?

Thanks,
Rick

jasonx

Not sure with that printer but don't most printers that have a network connection have their own IP address?

If you got a router with DHCP it will come up automatically. If you want to plug the printer direct to the computer you will need a network card with a cross over cable.

Network card option would be good if you ever want to expand or have your printer further away from your computer or in another room.

FatCat

I recently got a 1204 myself and was told that the USB port is not capable of receiving print data. It is used for updating firmware only.

ProWraps

you must use the cat 5 port. you will need to set the ip, gateway and subnet in your rip program.

Stealth Ryder

It can be used via USB but not recommended, the USB Port could be rendered useless with a new Firmware Update. Intall a second NIC in the PC and create a separate Network Scheme for the Printer isolating it from any other networks you may be utilizing, this will serve you better in the long run. Here's how:

The Printer

1. The printer indicates “READY TO PRINT”

2. Press the “MENU” button

3. Using the “RIGHT” arrow button scroll right once

4. Using the “DOWN” arrow button scroll down to “IP ADDRESS”

5. Press “ENTER”

6. Configure the address to 172.018.003.101

7. Press “Enter” to save this setting

8. Press “CANCEL” one time

9. Using the “DOWN” arrow button scroll down once to “SUBNET MASK”

10. Press “ENTER”

11. Configure the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.000

12. Press “Enter” to save this setting

13. Press “CANCEL” all the way back to “READY TO PRINT”

The Computer

1. On your computer go to “START” then “CONTROL PANEL” then “NETWORK CONNECTIONS”

2. Locate the “Local Area Connection” that you have your Printer connected to using a “CROSS-OVER” Ethernet Cable

3. “RIGHT CLICK” on the that “Local Area Connection” and scroll down to “Properties” and left Click

4. Scroll down to “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” and highlight it. Then click on the “Properties” button

5. Put a “DOT” in beside the term “Use The Following IP Address”

6. Now enter the IP Address “172.018.003.100”

7. Now enter the Subnet Mask “255.255.255.000”

8. Press “OK”

9. Go back to the “Windows Desktop”

10. Open your RIP Programs “Production Manager”

11. Go to “SETUP”, then “ADD SET-UP”

12. Choose “COLOR PRINTERS”

13. Choose “MUTOH”

14. Choose “VJ-1204”

15. Choose “TCP/IP”

16. Enter “172.018.003.101, Port should already be “9100”

17. Save these settings.

18. Choose a good Profile based on your media, adjust your Rendering Settings, adjust your Heater Settings and save.

19. Now send a JOB and make some money to pay for this darn thing...
:supersmilie:

MikeManGraphics

Congrats on the 1204! I just got mine last Saturday. I would ditch the hub and replace it with a switch, and go for it. You could follow the excellent instructions Stealth_Ryder posted for setting up the IP address but use your existing subnet and gateway settings.

letterman7

Excellent! Didn't know about the USB port...interesting how the firmware would update that way instead of using the network connection. Off to the store for a card and cable....!

rcook99

Best of luck with your new toy. I met Dave:thumb: from GRS at Gino's in August. He is a super guy and more than willing to answer any questions about whatever he sells. I actually thought very hard about that 1204 after watching there big brothers run at Gino's but need to wait a little longer before jumping in.

letterman7

:) Yep, got Ryder's stuff printed out ready to go. Went out and bought a card and found out that the PC doesn't have any more open slots for cards, even though it has the metal tabs at the back of the case. Figures...off yet again to return said card and pick up a router!

jbennett

I did the USB with the 1204. DO NOT DO IT!!!!! I couldnt send much over a good 6 ft design to it before it would throw up on me. It has something to do with the spooling and the way it sends data. The USB couldnt handle it and isnt supported on the 1204. A crossover cable and network once working is problem free!

letterman7

Thanks, guys. Got it up and test printing with a network hub. It's humming away now, just with a test print. Now I've got to download the right profiles!

A big step up from the Falcon Jr. I was running a short time ago..

OK, went to the SAI site to download some profiles for my Flexi 8.1...the profiles are extensions marked .ptf, where the preset in the color manager of Flexi is asking for .xml . I tried changing the extension on the file name - that doesn't work...where else can I download profiles for Flexi?

Last edited:

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Rick,

To import the PTF into Flexi go into Production Manager and click on File > Import Preset and browse to the PTF file, Production Manager will import it and make it avaliable in the list of Presets.

letterman7

Yep, found that little tidbit, Chris, thanks! I thought you guys were going to send me over a couple profiles to get started, btw?

letterman7

Yep, so far I'm impressed with the few prints I've pulled just playing with the color settings. Question: I'm setting up the sleep mode and the self-clean mode (to 18 hours...figure that's a good round number). The machine won't sleep with the pinch rollers up so...has anyone experienced flat-spotting from sitting in the closed position for any length of time?

Definitely the network route as the others have mentioned. Unfortunately, I am running a USB temporarily because my design station is also my RIP station and I running vista 64. Runs MUCH faster the other route, but I have no choice right now..