• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yard Signs- Print my own or outsource?

TimPiazza

First, by way of a quick intro so I don't sound like a complete newbie... I am not currently in the sign-making business, but I have a 30 year career in printing and digital prepress, starting out as a color scanner operator in the early 1980's.

Currently, I am self-employed as an entrepreneur. I developed a text message marketing solution for real estate agents, and while I initially planned on selling the solution (a wordpress plug-in that creates SMS Text auto-responders for any post), I am seeing a huge need for offering additional services, including those for independent, part-time real estate agents who do not have a website.

Here's where printing is involved. The way you get home-buyers to use text messaging is by placing a yard sign on the property. Every single sign is unique because either the keyword or the number texted to is different for each property.

I want to minimize costs. I could end up with a lot of minimum orders (5 signs, 2-sided), but I also expect orders of 25, 50, 100 and maybe 200 signs.

I am looking at 3 possibilities. Buy a digital printer, print-on-demand. Partner with a printer, standardize order process (most logical choice). Print generic signs and add custom keywords using permanent outdoor decals (bumper stickers).

Assuming the only thing I will print is 18" x 24" white Coroplast, is there a printer that would be a wise investment, where I am able to produce signs quickly for under $3 per. Is the idea of printing generic signs and then adding the unique numbers with carefully positioned decals a reasonable approach?

Last question: I already know the smartest approach is to work through an existing printer, where I can have a standard template in their hands, and I send in the order request with the variable data and shipping address, and have them create and ship the order. Is it fair to think I can get this kind of service for under $5 per sign? What corners would I have to cut in order to keep the price down? If there is no profit in $5 per, what is the competitive and fair price point?

Thank you for the time you just wasted reading my lengthy tome, and thank you in advance for the time you may take to respond.

Tim

binki

If you print direct on the coro you can probably do it. If you gang up your prints to use an entire sheet of coro each time then you can probably outsource it. I am not sure you can get your cost down to $3 though without orders at 1000 or more.

player

Spend $50,000-$120,000 on a printer. Then get a hydraulic cutter of some sort, ($5,000-$25,000) and buy very large quantities at one time of corro in 4' x 8' sheets to get the best price. Of course you will need rip software, design software, and a design computer ($15,000 - $25,000).

You will be making $ in no time. Of course you know how to design signs and run your printer...

Last edited:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We would love to work with you on this project. We can work with you to figure out the most efficient way to get this done.

Call me 888-509-7446 -Gene

rjssigns

Sub them out. We do. I concentrate more on the customer and locking down jobs than babysitting equipment.

Tip of the day: Do an opportunity cost analysis in regards to equipment. You may want to break it down into two distinct categories such as cash and time.

TimPiazza

If you print direct on the coro you can probably do it. If you gang up your prints to use an entire sheet of coro each time then you can probably outsource it. I am not sure you can get your cost down to $3 though without orders at 1000 or more.

Thanks, Binki. I would prefer to outsource, but getting the price point down on small orders with variable printing isn't going to be easy. Small orders are a pain and the most costly to produce.

I suppose the simpler question would have been to ask if there is a small format printer that can handle 18" x 24" Coroplast. If such a printer available, I could purchase the stock pre-cut to size and handle the small orders myself then outsource the larger ones.

Billct2

I woul go with the generic design, buy enough to get the price where you want and get a Gerber Edge to print the copy strips.

TimPiazza

Spend $50,000-$120,000 on a printer. Then get a hydraulic cutter of some sort, ($5,000-$25,000) and buy very large quantities at one time of corro in 4' x 8' sheets to get the best price. Of course you will need rip software, design software, and a design computer ($15,000 - $25,000).

You will be making $ in no time. Of course you know how to design signs and run your printer...

And don't forget the building to hold all this equipment, warehouse the pallets of Coroplast, the forklift to unload it, and the full-time staff to run everything. :)

Player, did I mention that I spent 30 years in the printing business? That I was a desktop publishing pioneer, produced workshops for Kodak and Scitex, consulted for RR Donnelley, and taught digital printing seminars from Maine to California? Oh, I guess not.

The only piece of equipment I need is an inkjet printer that can handle 18" x 24" Coroplast. The rest is not nearly the issue you make it out to be. :)

TimPiazza

I woul go with the generic design, buy enough to get the price where you want and get a Gerber Edge to print the copy strips.

Bill, that is a very interesting suggestion. Thank you. I will look into the Gerber Edge. I should also mention that I do not need a "state of the art" printer, I know there are lots of sign shops with well-functioning older equipment sitting in a closet because it was outmoded by a new purchase.

CanuckSigns

I would be suprized if you could get a real estate agent to open their wallet far enough to make this worth your while, they are a notoriously "frugal" bunch

TimPiazza

It is if you are looking to be under $3 each...

You are probably right about that, but Player has me at $170,000 to print my first sign. :)

Maybe there is a solution for cost-effective, low-volume production. Maybe there's not. Sarcasm aside, can you think of a better place to ask than this community of printing pros?

TimPiazza

I would be suprized if you could get a real estate agent to open their wallet far enough to make this worth your while, they are a notoriously "frugal" bunch
This is why I am trying to keep the signage cost as low as possible. The signs are a pass-through cost. I make my money on the monthly subscription service, and I have a great deal of price flexibility. I sell on a low entry price point and the prospect that they establish relationships with home-buyers before other agents have a chance.

CanuckSigns

This is why I am trying to keep the signage cost as low as possible. The signs are a pass-through cost. I make my money on the monthly subscription service, and I have a great deal of price flexibility. I sell on a low entry price point and the prospect that they establish relationships with home-buyers before other agents have a chance.

Well I can't offer you any advise on the printing side other than getting generic signs made up and applying decals to them after the fact, but even that I can't see costing close to where you need to be. All the best with your new venture, hopefully you have a better experience with real estate agents than I have.

TimPiazza

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I have reached what I believe is a fair trade price for signs at varying quantities, so I will be outsourcing this service.

Tim