• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Opinions Needed!

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I'm closing my commercial print shop at the end of the year and will become a print broker working out of my home. We've been in the same location for over 40 years but the lease it up soon and I want to "sorta" retire. I've worked hard over the past 5 years to move all print production (about $500K/year revenue) from in-house to wholesalers such as DFS, Navitor, Ennis, etc. which has worked out very well. The only thing we really make in-house now besides a few copies here and there are signs and banners which brings me to the purpose of my post.

I have a Mimaki JV33-160 and a 54" cold laminator, both well looked after and in great shape. I'm located on a Caribbean island and it won't make $$ sense to ship these off island. I'd like to sell them to one of my friendly local competitors who only has vinyl cutters and comes to me for his printed vinyl work. He's a very nice guy and we get along well together. Ideally, I'd like to continue to sell signs and banners but sub the work out to him.

Can anyone suggest what the $$ value of these might be in a sale scenario as I've described or perhaps some sort of scheme where he pays them off as I send him jobs? He's quite interested to have them, I just don't know what they're worth. I appreciate your feedback.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably between $5k and $7k if in top shape working condition. The laminator, maybe $1,500.00. Let him make you an offer.

Billct2

I'd be nervous to hand over the equipment in return for credit on future orders. What if they can't run it or it breaks down?
Better to sell for a reasonable price and he already has two guaranteed clients himself and you.