• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

.012" aluminum signs

Signed Out

I have a request for a large run of 12"x12" .012" thick aluminum signs. I double checked and it is definitley for .012 and not .125. So these signs are going to be paper thin. Does anybody know of a good source to wholesale signs like this? My supplier doesn't carry .012 alum. and I think I'd be afraid to even look at the materail wrong and watch it bend. Merchant members perhaps?

J Hill Designs

are you sure they didnt mush the facts around a bit? dibond is skinned with .012 alum...maybe they just read that part of it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's got to be a mistake somewhere along the line. I imagine someone is just writing numbers down with no idea of what they're writing.

Last edited:

Signed Out

That's what I thought too. Originally they asked for aluminum without specifics. So I gave a quote with dibond, and .080 alum and offered to provide samples and what not. Then they asked me to requote with .012. I replied that that would be paper thin and I just want to confirm that you want .012 and not .125. They then replied that another sign shop questioned it also, she verified and said they know it will be paper thin.

So... I don't even want to think about doing this inhouse... does anybody know of a supplier that might be able to accommodate this?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not only show them a sample, but ask them how they intend to use these things. The lightest I know of is .019 and that's ultra thin.

CanuckSigns

We quoted on producing and installing a bunch of standard parking signs for a school once, quoted the job on 0.080" aluminum, reflective as per the spec, we lost the job to a lowballer, went back a few months later, they used 0.020" thick trophy plate aluminum, every one of the signs were bent in from the wind!

We ended up replacing all the signs with the proper material in the end.

SignManiac

As Gino said, I'd ask how they intend to use them and then determine the best suitable material for the job. More than likely, they client could possibly be clueless.

Signed Out

Ok so the skinny is they are similar to posted signs, trailhead markers and they definitely want .012. Thank you to all who responded, I have contacted some of the suggested vendors.

Pat Whatley

Check with Grimco. They do custom screen printing on aluminum signs and if your quantity is high enough it shouldn't be a problem for them to order the aluminum for you.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Sorry to bump such an old thread but we also have an opportunity to produce a few signs on .012 aluminum. I'd definitely want to job it out though. By a few I mean like about 32,000 7.5" square signs with about 25 different designs. Anyone know of a wholesale provider for this??