• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$1500 shaper origin handheld cnc router at the end of this month who's buying?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
We have a post release Nix and it's awesome, are they not replacing your v1 model?

Indeed, mine have been replaced for free and I use it very often.

I was sent a replacement. I tested it by scanning multiple Sherwin Williams colors, used the CMYK colors to print those colors and then compared them to the originals. They weren't even close.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I was sent a replacement. I tested it by scanning multiple Sherwin Williams colors, used the CMYK colors to print those colors and then compared them to the originals. They weren't even close.

Are you sure that is not more of an issue with your profiling vs the sensor?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Are you sure that is not more of an issue with your profiling vs the sensor?

The vendor I use for digital printing is always spot on with their colors, so I wouldn't think that's the problem.

I bought the Nix to use when doing surveys and when the customer needs a color-match for the exterior walls. I figured it would be a better alternative to use the Nix and get the color 'exact' instead of using a Sherwin Williams fan deck. But if the end result doesn't come out correctly, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use it, but I haven't seen that it works correctly.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The vendor I use for digital printing is always spot on with their colors, so I wouldn't think that's the problem.

I bought the Nix to use when doing surveys and when the customer needs a color-match for the exterior walls. I figured it would be a better alternative to use the Nix and get the color 'exact' instead of using a Sherwin Williams fan deck. But if the end result doesn't come out correctly, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use it, but I haven't seen that it works correctly.

I get where you are coming from, have you tried the match to catalog function... they have almost every sherwin williams color listed.

aluminumwelder

anyways, back on topic! how thick of 6061 aluminum sheet do you think this kind of router can cut through? 1/8" is about as thick as I would use most of the time. I have not used a cnc on aluminum what are some recommended router bits for this?

I currently use a 1/4" brass bushing with a 1/8" carbide upcut bit in a 10,000 bosch palm router to cut 1/16 aluminum sheet and it works great. I use rectangular template to cut out holes that look perfect.
I've cut .080 thick sheet as well and it works well, never tried anything thicker.

CanuckSigns

I'm I the same boat, I returned my nix sensor, I really could not see how it is useful in a normal sign shop environment. If I go to a clients and scan the colour of something they want matched, I go back to the shop and enter the values I to my design and print, now how do I know the colour off the printer is correct? I can scan and compare, but that doesn't let me see the difference, it just tells me how different the colours are mathematically from each other, and at the end of the day you are still printing swatches and comparing.

rossmosh

I try my best not to pass judgement on new tech because this might be the next big thing. I have noticed two things.

1. Being first through the door might save you a few dollars but you might end up with a paperweight. So many first generation items are very flawed. While you might save $500-700 by buying it now, almost always the 2nd generation is worth the extra money.

2. Generally speaking, you have to be very very careful about giving these people your money. Companies like this with clever products can do a massive presale and then they're left with a $1mil of orders to fulfill and they're clueless as to how to handle it all. They have some half developed product and are completely ill equipped to run a business of that magnitude. People are also corrupted by money. You have a million bucks sitting in a bank account and you start making bad decisions. Magically now the owner is driving a brand new car, has a swanky new office, and has an expense account which covers mostly buying drinks for pretty girls at the bar. Not saying this company is like that, but so many are.

Generally speaking, I can see this as potentially a useful tool. I don't think it will replace the CNC router table but I do think it has the potential to be a decent complementary tool.

Andy D

This might be a dumb question, but it looks like it is moving itself, why
do you have to hold it? If not, that needs to be the next step, no need for
a CNC table or a hold down vacuum and/or clamps.

phototec

This might be a dumb question, but it looks like it is moving itself, why
do you have to hold it? If not, that needs to be the next step, no need for
a CNC table or a hold down vacuum and/or clamps.

Yes, you have to move it and follow a the lines on the monitor (at least get close) and the software moves the actual cutter, as long as you stay within the guides it cuts very accurate. If you go outside the guide line it automatically stops cutting and the bit raises up, then you put it back on line and it will continue on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what happens if they improve upon this version and it costs another $500.00 ?? Another $800.00...... or more ??

[FONT=&quot]By clicking confirm, you acknowledge that you are purchasing a product that hasn’t been manufactured yet. If you order today, your estimated shipment date is September 2017. While Shaper has described Origin accurately, you also acknowledge that changes may be made to the product you’re ordering. If so, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]we will notify you in advance. You may collect a full refund up until we collect your address for shipping[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. By ordering, you agree to our[/FONT] Privacy Policy[FONT=&quot] and[/FONT] Terms & Conditions.