• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

31' x 5' signs question

advadv

Hello all...I have a question about making a couple of large signs. I have an order for two 31' x 5' signs, which will be mounted to the face of a business. I would like to make them seamless, but I can't think of anyway to prefab and install. The easy way would be to do in two or three sections, and join them when installed. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Joe

advadv

That could be a good suggestion. Do you mean weld a frame on site, then roll out the Lexan and attach with pop rivets or something? I guess I could build the frame in the shop in three pieces, install the frame, then roll out the panel. Is that what you mean...? Great idea.

advadv

No, it' not internally lighted. It will have down lights mounted above. The sign will be mounted directly to the face of the building. If I were using Alumalite, we would simply put spacer behind and bold directly into the face of the building. I was thinking that we could use Alumalite, mount the blank panels, Bondo the seams, then apply the printed graphic to the service, but that's a lot of work on site on scaffolding, and probably not a good way to go about it.

TheSnowman

Sell them a banner! I have customers that freak when they see my alumalite price for a sign that will "last" but then I quote them a banner, and remind them that it's not a permanent sign, but it can be updated every couple years, and can be updated several times for the cost of a big alumalite sign.

Normally, I just design it, sub it out, make a lot more money than if I had done the job myself, and the customer installs it so they can save money. It's a win-win for both parties...however, like I said, not permanent...so make sure they always know that.

Just a suggestion...it's worked for me several times, and the customer was very happy with the outcome.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Why even worry about the seams? 30/30 rule applies here. You should be able to cut down eight sheets of whatever to 5', sweep your shop floor, layout out your sign taping the panels securely together where vinyl won't cover, and apply graphics. Slit the applied vinyl apart, take panels to site and install being carefull to butt your joints properly.

30/30 rule says that you won't even see the seams from 30 feet or 30 mph.

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
you can get poly carb on a roll at regal peidmont in san diego, comes in a roll and has no memory so it lays flat. would probably be a few thousand tho

ProWraps

i would deffinatley avoid the bondo at seems. with expansion and contraction that will be done in no time. bondo is meant to be used on a solid surface not to join two of them. would probably keep you coming back over and over to repair. go with a banner!

Craig Sjoquist

flex face vinyl '
get aluminum of a 6 ft wide roll

wonders why ya making a mountain out of a mole hill, is there a real appearance need

iSign

if you ask 1000 sign makers how to do what you need to do, you might get 100 answers...

but if you ask 1000 sign makers what your client wants (& can afford) you may get 1000 answers, and they may all be wrong...

last guy who asked a question like this, I suggested he cut to the chase & find out if his client wanted to spend $10K or not...

The guy thought I was a fool to question his client's sincerity... but it turned out he was spending ton of time thinking the guy wanted to spend 10 times more than he really did. The more expensive a job is, the more often that is the case (& the more time you waste if you don't get clarification)

A lot of people think we shouldn't be some rude as to establish a budget before doing a bid... but why should I research costs & crunch numbers for 2 hours when the guy can give me a ballpark figure in 2 seconds?

Anyway, ask him if he's looking to spend 8 or 10 grand... If so, you get some options... if not, looks like 2 banners to me... and think about that snafu with that banner at the G-20 summit when you install them!

BobM

Suggest making them 58" high by 30' long. Build a 1X1 frame, attatch it to the building. Bend a 1" lip top and bottom of a 10' aluminum sheet and install it over the frame. Use a plastic divider between sheet. Paint or vinyl over the divider where needed. From the ground the seam won't be noticed.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Most semi-trailer manufactures or repair facilities carry roll stock of .040 aluminum and will cut to any length you need

ZsVinylInc

If I was bidding this job I would suggest using a product called Banner Grip. www.bannergrip.com And sell it as a way for them to not only get their name up on the building but an easy and good looking way to run advertising several times a year. The can then just roll the banners up and store them from year to year and change them, themselves. Will give a clean look but is still a cheap banner.

advadv

wow... great suggestions. Thanks to everyone. This client is a heating fuel company that has a chain of convenience stores. This is for a new store that is just under construction. We've branded their entire fleet of over 30 vehicles, as well as signs for the stores and wall murals inside. Of course, budget is always an issue, but I know a banner will not be accepted. I like the roll material direction, and a 1x1 frame, with a folded edge seems like a good solution. I like the bannergrip product, too. Will certainly use that for other projects.

luggnut

i think seams would not be a big deal on something like this... i have a job to bid redoing a storefront with the attached pic. the total length is about 75-80ft and about 10 ft high but the original substrate is multiple small panels like older billboards and no one even notices.

Attachments

• russ.jpg
    russ.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 96

k.a.s.

I think your to worried about seams, material only comes so big so it is what it is. I would see if you can do a 30' sign rather than 31'. Then I'd get 5'x10 sheets of Poly Metal, letter them in the shop and screw them to the building, only 2 seams in a 30' sign is not bad. I just did some signs like this, you can't see the seams from the ground, they look fine.

Kevin

Last edited:

advadv

I think you're all right... I was too worried about the seam. I will go with the 30', three panel suggestion. Thanks to all...it's great to have some help thinking this through.