• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M problem or install problem.

Git-R-Done

I installed these 36" decals a few months ago. Within a month they were peeling off the tankers. They were applied to brand new polished aluminum fuel tankers. I did them indoors and as always used denatured alcohol to prep the surface followed by a isopropyl alcohol wipe down. The material used was 3m controltac IJ180cv3 and laminated with 8519 laminate. As you can see from the photos the laminate is peeling off the print and the print is peeling off the tank. I know these tanks get acid washed but these new ones have not even left the lot yet and this was happening. Further more customer said none have had a bath yet. I also have applied miles of cut vinyl to these tanks with little to no problems. So my question is simple: did I screw up on install or was it my choice of material, or do you think this is a material failure. I personally think I may have chose the wrong material but that does not explain why the laminate is coming off the print.
Anyhow, I have to re-do all 12 decals and do not want the same problem. Any suggestions would help out a lot!

Thanks,
G-R-D

Attachments

• BEW_0004sm.jpg
    BEW_0004sm.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 254
  • BEW_0003sm.jpg
    BEW_0003sm.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 6740_6779_ART2.jpg
    6740_6779_ART2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 224

Circleville Signs

Shouldn't be an issue of correct material.

Sounds like you might have laminated the prints too soon. Can you provide any details on that?

Ponto

The failure looks isolated to the edges of both the vinyl and laminate (where no print or ink exists) so my guess would be end user issues (ie. cleaning). Perhaps an edge seal would help matters in the future.

JP

Git-R-Done

Yeah, some (4) went from printer to laminator I know for sure. I did give that a thought. Not sure all did though. Would that have an effect on adhesion to the tanker or just laminate to print and why is it only happening on the high side not all the way around?

Circleville Signs

When your prints dont' outgas properly you will get shrinkage on the edges. This will affect the laminate adhering to the print as well as the print adhering to the application surface.

Anytime I'm doing vehicle graphics, especially with a soft material like V3, I let my prints dry at least 10-12 hours - 24 in a perfect world. When you are doing contour cut stuff, this is even MORE important.

gbarker

I would have done the same thing you did for the job. This might be a wild idea but what about heat? Internally radiating out of the empty tanks.

Techman

If that peeling is just on the top it is the truck washing machine.
I've seen it a dozen times..

I would like to see a pic of the lower radius of that graphic..

And is why I applied a clear lam just a little larger with about a 1/4 inch contour than the actual graphic.

edited after another look.
Oh yes,, if you look at the vertical lines they are not peeled at all. Just the top edges. = washer tunnel.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
You sure its aluminum ... I know there is a special material for steel which is usually what tankers are made from ... did one a few years back and got the prints from gregory ... can't remember the namw of it though

gbarker

You sure its aluminum ... I know there is a special material for steel which is usually what tankers are made from ... did one a few years back and got the prints from gregory ... can't remember the namw of it though

Not positive, it's just looks pretty like polished aluminum...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As tech said... it's either their washing this.... or spillage and wiping it down.

From the pictures you have posted it's only happening to the top side and not the vertical lines at all.

Show a picture of the lower edge and I believe you'll find they aren't near as bad.

Customer abuse !!

However, did you ever take the time to explain to them how to care and maintain these decals ?? If not, then you might be considered at fault.

Letterbox Mike

I agree it's damage from washing or spillage because it's only on the top edges. I doubt it's got anything to do with outgassing or ink curing because there's a healthy white margin around the edges and that's where the laminate is lifting and the vinyl is coming up.

Git-R-Done

Thanks for the posts so far.

As far as clien abuse, I am 100% shure it was not that as these things were inside when I did these decals and lots of other things to the tankers and tractors. I spend a lot of time at this place. Most were inside for two weeks after they were lettered and then they went to the parking lot and are still there untouched by anyone, just rain. Two are on the road and look the same as the ones that are sitting.

Is there any reason to switch to a cast material with a perminant adhesive or is this IJ180-10Cv3 just fine?

I will definantly let prints sit for 24hours before lamination this time.:banghead:

Thanks,
G-R-D

:doh:

tintguy31794

I'm not as technical as most that have posted here, but I would automatically assume that it was the guys washing the trucks.... I would at least ask the customer this... if they say its not then its not... you can't call them out. who knows they might admit some fault.

J Hill Designs

cut the lam @ 1/4" outside the printed graphic (print, cut, weed, lam, cut)

and also let properly dry (outgas...) before lamination

luggnut

cut the lam @ 1/4" outside the printed graphic (print, cut, weed, lam, cut)

can this be done.. how do you cut the lamination after the graphic has been weeded ... no registration marks?

Mason

Are you aware that if the truck goes through a commercial truck wash, they use acid to wash them?

If not, you do now.