• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 4 sided sign frame

netsol

we are selling a client 4 sided suspended signs
picture a frame 24" x 16" x72" (1x2 pine dado cut to retain sintra panels (it's about the size of a coffin when it is finished)
we are producing them in house, but i could build a house in the time it takes to make 20 of these...

a competitor produced something with a metal frame, (like electrical conduit) and they dry wall screw the panels to the frame
not as nice finish quality, as ours...

client loves ours, but after the first run, we are having trouble adapting it to mass production

so, suggestion for a supplier for extruded metal frames, or simply a fitting that would allow me to build these out of conduit?
(a 3/4" elbow with an additional fitting pointing straight up, at a 90 degree angle, if you get my drift

Attachments

• coffeePOS3.jpg
    coffeePOS3.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 271

rjssigns

Would the client go for a dye sub fabric sign?

Another option would be to have a cabinet shop make your "sticks". They are set up for production. Then all you have to do is assemble.
Couple simple fixtures and Robert is your sisters brother.

Or you could look into 80/20 extrusions.

Honestly though if the client is stoked because they're getting a quality product I would keep giving them what they want.

I don't know the name of the company anymore but they make corner pieces with top spaces for extenders out of white, black and clear pvc and all you have to do is insert a gatorboard panel in it. Some kind of glue will make it stay without any effort. I used them years ago making the same kind of structures. I think it was in Florida. I'll look around to see if I can find anymore information.

netsol

Would the client go for a dye sub fabric sign?

Another option would be to have a cabinet shop make your "sticks". They are set up for production. Then all you have to do is assemble.
Couple simple fixtures and Robert is your sisters brother.

Or you could look into 80/20 extrusions.

Honestly though if the client is stoked because they're getting a quality product I would keep giving them what they want.
the client really likes these.
we have the setup to produce them, we have a complete woodworking shop, it's just more labor intensive than i like

it is never good, with a new product, if you are saying "i hope they don't order too many"

netsol

our client likes the "finished look" of having a wooden frame around everything. he hates the look of seeing the edge of the sintra (also not a fan of visible lines from coro)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Every time I'm confronted with a project like this I tend to over design it. I'd design a wood frame complete with dados, rabbited joints, and other fanciness. Then, generally after I labor through the first copy, I realize that this thing doesn't have to be a wooden frame with panels neatly dadoed in place, all it has to be is something that looks like a wooden frame with panels neatly dadoed in place. With that mindset more often than not I can figure out a much simpler way to make one. Somestimes I come up with nothing simpler and easier and I have to bite then bullet. But you should try to approach it as an illusionist and not a cabinet maker.

netsol

Yes, bob, we rabbited and dado'd the s**t out of it
Ethan Allen would be proud. But we are not building a piece of furniture

Evan Gillette

Then if you are doing higher volume and need to scale, contact a local extruder and give them samples of what you need and price out running a batch that will last a quarter or half years time.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
20ga aluminum bent into angle, rivet corners and spray flat black. Even tack it together. You could bang that out in no time

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Same thing happened to me recently. Wife showed me a picture of a nativity, asked for one. I make one, it takes like 30 minutes. She takes it to her bible study for a dirty santa gift, or whatever you call the gift stealing game. So suddenly I need to make 10. Fine, set up the file, run ten, sand, clean, glue all thread to go in the ground. Sh*t was not nearly as fun when it was 10, in the end it took a little over 2 hours, but it was mind numbing.
This is the canyon between high volume and highly custom shops. Do you really want to be a high volume shop? Can you support your business without such an opportunity? Can you hire numbnuts to do all the mindless work and not fowl up your business/equipment?
Personally, I've decided we are a boutique sign company. We do any and everything you can come up with, we aren't the cheapest, we aren't the fastest, but we make things good.

I'd use prepainted .040" myself (but that'll leave a raw edge I suppose), or just buy some 1/16" aluminum angle and tack it together, or even just some Lords adhesive.
So what are you when you do production work slowly, do it bad and overcharge for it?

alevit53

You could use black 8020 pieces and slide panels into the grooves. They make corner pieces to give it a finished look.

netsol

Same thing happened to me recently. Wife showed me a picture of a nativity, asked for one. I make one, it takes like 30 minutes. She takes it to her bible study for a dirty santa gift, or whatever you call the gift stealing game. So suddenly I need to make 10. Fine, set up the file, run ten, sand, clean, glue all thread to go in the ground. Sh*t was not nearly as fun when it was 10, in the end it took a little over 2 hours, but it was mind numbing.
This is the canyon between high volume and highly custom shops. Do you really want to be a high volume shop? Can you support your business without such an opportunity? Can you hire numbnuts to do all the mindless work and not fowl up your business/equipment?
Personally, I've decided we are a boutique sign company. We do any and everything you can come up with, we aren't the cheapest, we aren't the fastest, but we make things good.

I'd use prepainted .040" myself (but that'll leave a raw edge I suppose), or just buy some 1/16" aluminum angle and tack it together, or even just some Lords adhesive.
jburton,
i would certainly like to be a MEDIUM volume shop. i want to be a commercial printer/sign shop, perhaps a step up from short run.
we really don''t do work for ANYONE unless i see at least the possibility of repeat business.

IT IS FUNNY HOW A PRODUCT TAKING OFF, beyond your expectations can be a PITA

netsol

20ga aluminum bent into angle, rivet corners and spray flat black. Even tack it together. You could bang that out in no time
you may have a point...
we do have a heavy duty sheet metal brake, i am just not a fanatic about actually using it...