• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

53' Trailer Wrap

signs&designs

Ok Guys, I'm pricing out a great big trailer wrap and don't want to screw it up. 53' long, 12' tall, both sides & the back, which measures 8' x 12'. It's a fairly simple install, all flat & not too much to cut around.

Also, would I be stupid to try and print it out on my VP-540? I'm a fan of keeping what I can in house, but that's a lot of damn vinyl to print.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Couple factors I would consider..how busy are you, and the selling price of the wrap. Is it going to cost you more money and cause you to have to hussle more than it's worth to keep up by printing it in house and taking up valuable time?

On the other side of the table, *IF* a panel messes up and you outsource it, you're then caught with a messed up panel without the ability to re-print immediately.

A lot of wholesale companies out there selling at killer deals with that kind of square footage. Myself, I would probably sub the print out just for the sake of keeping my printer free as it already runs constantly and I would definitely be put behind some.

GL with it, it'll be a fun job!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do it yourself in-house and get your feet wet. Your Roland will crank that out in a day's time and you'll need a day to cure and them laminate. You could feasibly have the whole thin finished under a week in-house. 12' high sounds a little high. Most trailers are only about 9' to 10'. If you're counting in waste, that's still a little much. They're only 13' to 13'6" from the ground up.... minus the wheel base.

Have fun...............

dmayhew26

I have done 3 trailers for race teams just like your wanting to do on my SP540V. I would do them all day long if there were more customers wanting something like that. 12' tall is about right if your going all the way to the bottom and all the way to the top of a featherlite race trailer. Pretty easy to do just make sure you have a take up reel!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No tome, I think dmay is right. We've never done one of those featherweights, so I never thought of one of those...... and they do look to be close to 12' My bad. I thought the OP was referring to a regular 53' trailer.

dmayhew26

On my SP540 to do a complete Semi Trailer wrap, I think it was 28 panels 12' tall took right around 35 hours of print time. A full day to install. With the take up reel you can print quite a bit while your not there so its not as bad as it sounds. The price on them is right though and they come out looking reallly good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How long does it take to do a 53 footer on a Machine like that?

I would guess at least a realistic 12 hours?

On that machine..... if someone is keeping an eye on it and you're printing 50" wide by 12' long... about 12 hours to print and 2 hours to laminate.

Last edited:

tomence

My bad too Gino, i've never done those. So i guess they could be 12'

No tome, I think dmay is right. We've never done one of those featherweights, so I never thought of one of those...... and they do look to be close to 12' My bad. I thought the OP was referring to a regular 53' trailer.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Consider the solutions these guys are offering.
http://www.gciwraps.com/

We use them for our oversize printing. They sell to us at great rates and quick turnaround. Give them a call & see what they can do for ya.
- jason

jfiscus

Rap Master
Their site sucks, but the product is essentially a huge banner that's velcroed to tracks on the side; but more complicated. The "4 hour" I believe is the install time for both sides. They have two 16' wide printers running side by side almost continuously... must be doing something right.

Malkin

They have two 16' wide printers running side by side almost continuously... must be doing something right.

Tempting to think so, but it's a dangerous assumption. They (or anyone else) could be busy as all get out, but running the business into the ground.

MikePro

just finished a 9'x100' mural by pre-aligning my 25-50"x9' tiles with masking tape... leading tile finishes under the following tile... and then essentially laminated the wall by making my shop kid hold the roll for me!
I LOVE large projects, since I'm the only guy at my shop with a 9' wingspan. Makes me look like a hero on stuff like this.

Good luck! Keep it in-house! (or send it my way!)