• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

54” Summa S2-140T

gabagoo

I am planning on getting this plotter in the next week or so.... who's got one and are you happy with it?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
How big is your mimaki? 64” printer with 54” plotter may get annoying. Especially running through onyx. You’re losing at least 1.5-2” either side with the summa marks including the usual margins etc.

For the actual cutter though, should be great!

gabagoo

I run a 54" Summa currently d-140...as good as it is the opos reader really sucks and makes every cut a chore

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My colleague purchased the 30-inch (or whatever it is), and from his report, he likes the performance.

The only downside is that he doesn't like the way the knives have to be totally re-set each time you switch. He uses monument stencil and Hartco 310, and changes between 45 and 60 degree knives often. It's definitely not like his Gerber Plus where you drop one in and re-set the pressure.

JB

rjssigns

I run a 54" Summa currently d-140...as good as it is the opos reader really sucks and makes every cut a chore

What kind of issues are you having? Reason I'm asking is if you don't like the one you have why would you buy another? As far as your D140, mine runs very well. The few wrecked cuts I've had have been my fault.(lazy loading procedure)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
My colleague purchased the 30-inch (or whatever it is), and from his report, he likes the performance.

The only downside is that he doesn't like the way the knives have to be totally re-set each time you switch. He uses monument stencil and Hartco 310, and changes between 45 and 60 degree knives often. It's definitely not like his Gerber Plus where you drop one in and re-set the pressure.

JB
Sounds like hes too cheap to buy another blade holder......

Because with two holders you don't need to do much else.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Sounds like hes too cheap to buy another blade holder......
Because with two holders you don't need to do much else.

I asked him about that, and he said that it's more of having to screw it in every time to get the proper depth setting. I kept asking about alternative holders, but he believed it wouldn't make difference. I find it difficult to believe myself.

JB

victor bogdanov

I prefer graphtec fc9000, I have s2t and the plastic pinch roller handle broke within a year, its hard to replace, I just use some pliers now. There are many other things that make me dislike the summa over the 3-4 years that I've owned it, can't wait until it dies so that I can get another graphtec (8 graphtecs now). I just recently started using graphtec barcodes with the fc9000 and it'll cut a whole roll non stop most of the time

victor bogdanov

I asked him about that, and he said that it's more of having to screw it in every time to get the proper depth setting. I kept asking about alternative holders, but he believed it wouldn't make difference. I find it difficult to believe myself.

JB

Your friend is correct

The tangential blade depth is adjusted by how far the blade holder is screwed into the machine, having a second holder would still require depth adjustmen every time

The drag holder is easier as it screwes in all the way each time

gabagoo

What kind of issues are you having? Reason I'm asking is if you don't like the one you have why would you buy another? As far as your D140, mine runs very well. The few wrecked cuts I've had have been my fault.(lazy loading procedure)
My opos reader has had issues and I am really tired of fighting with it on virtually every cut job. The cutter itself is very good and I might keep it as a backup if my Graphtec ( close to 20 years old) ever dies.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We have an older S140T and it's a workhorse. Cut quality and accuracy is unreal compared to using print/cut on a Roland or Mimaki.

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase, we've got 3 Summa cutters now and I really like them. Would buy again.

rjssigns

My opos reader has had issues and I am really tired of fighting with it on virtually every cut job. The cutter itself is very good and I might keep it as a backup if my Graphtec ( close to 20 years old) ever dies.

Thank you for answering my question. I still have my original Summa D610. Cut so much it wore the rubber off the pinch wheels. That thing cut miles and miles of vinyl.

Don't want to hijack the tread, but I just purchased the S Class 2 T160 with the OPOS Cam system because I do a lot of reflective vinyl. What is the big problem with the camera system.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Don't want to hijack the tread, but I just purchased the S Class 2 T160 with the OPOS Cam system because I do a lot of reflective vinyl. What is the big problem with the camera system.
What do you mean by what is the big problem? Do you have a problem or what?

Biggest restriction is windows and USB only.

There are people who seem to be having problems with the OPOS camera when trying to read the bar code or registration marks. I just ordered my S2T160 OPOS camera cutter, Just wondering why they were having problems with this cutter.

Santimus

I have the same one. I only use it for short runs. I get tracking issues on anything over 4' length if it has to advance and rewind too much. Other than that it's a great work horse. Luckily I have a Summa FB1612 for the larger stuff. Tech support is usually very easy to get ahold of compared to other manufacturers and that's been a huge plus for me. It's worth noting I have had 0 problems with my OPOS cam unlike others here. Running it through the supplied WinPlot software mainly and on occasion through wasatch.

gabagoo

I have a question about the plotter... I have up till now just cut printed graphics and it is awesome...but today I thought lets just get it to cut regular vinyl. I set the weight up on the unit itself and then when it went to cut it was shearing right through the vinyl and I can see that the pressure was at 135 yet I set it to 40... I then thought that maybe it is being controlled by Flexi and went in to see what that was set at and it was only at 40 in the software. Am I not doing something properly? I have a call into the techs but they are all on vacation.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have a question about the plotter... I have up till now just cut printed graphics and it is awesome...but today I thought lets just get it to cut regular vinyl. I set the weight up on the unit itself and then when it went to cut it was shearing right through the vinyl and I can see that the pressure was at 135 yet I set it to 40... I then thought that maybe it is being controlled by Flexi and went in to see what that was set at and it was only at 40 in the software. Am I not doing something properly? I have a call into the techs but they are all on vacation.

Device is probably set to override the software setting. I don't use Flexi but there should be a setting somewhere (either on software or plotter) that lets you choose whether to go by software or device settings.

Until you figure it out you can always adjust the weight on the plotter before it starts cutting too deep.

gabagoo

Device is probably set to override the software setting. I don't use Flexi but there should be a setting somewhere (either on software or plotter) that lets you choose whether to go by software or device settings.

Until you figure it out you can always adjust the weight on the plotter before it starts cutting too deep.
I had a technical guy show me in Flexi... There are 2 places where you can set these preferences..why? I have no idea. One is in production manager where I knew to go but the one that overides everything is in the rip and print menu...it looks identical so I am not sure what the other one is for. So basically for 2 weeks I have been cutting everything with the same weight ...135 grams thinking I was changing the pressure, yet the strange thing is that even when cutting 2ml with 2ml lam it cut it just as well as 3ml with 3ml lam... I totally gas lighted myself!!!! Now I have to start over to figure out what weights to use lol Thanks