• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

65* in PA

jiarby

I wing it.. no recipe. Even if I had one I doubt most people would do it! I am one of those compulsive obsessive foodies in my other life.

It is essentially a 3 day process starting with a high hydration foccaccia dough. A scant 1/8tsp Yeast (IDY), water, flour (00 Caputo Blue), and salt get all schlepped together loosely and then into the fridge to rest overnight. then after 24 hours it gets a stretch, fold, and a flip. Back into the fridge. Repeat every 12 hours until you have done it 4x total. LIKE THIS GUY I slow down the rising by refrigerating. This adds fermentation and lots of texture & flavor. You cna do it in one day of you need to, it is just "breadier" because the fermentation doesn't happen. 3-5 days is just right. You barely need any yeast.

Meanwhile, on the day before pizza day you have fajitas for dinner. Marinated (I make a korean style marinade of soy, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, red pepper, sugar, etc..) skirt or flank steak, chicken breasts, onions, jalapeno's, bell peppers... the works. Be sure to cook more than you need of everything. I make a rub (ground new mexico red chile, chipotle powder (homemade), garlic, cumin, onion powder, salt) then grill the meats. The veggies get cooked in a hot cast iron skillet with some of the reserved marinade (saved before the meat went in.. just a tablespoon or two) Dice up the leftover meats and save. Same for fajita veggies.

The day of the pizza... make your sauce. I use whole plum tomatoes in sauce with basil(Trader Joes has a good one in a red 28oz can) I run the tomatoes through a food mill (the kind you crank, seive style) to lose the bitter seeds and skin scraps. Then I cook the tomatoes down until thickened and add in some garlic, onion powder, fresh basil & oregano (from the garden) and maybe a pinch of salt and/or sugar depending on taste.

I form the dough in the pizza pan. It is pretty wet compared to a regular neopolitan style dough but not quite as wet as the guy in the video. For bread that wet is fine, but for pizza I like it a little firmer. I pinch the edges like on a pie dough... the let it rest for an hour or so to recover from all the handling.

Now it is topping time.. brush the edges of the crust with a butter/garlic/herb/parm mix (be creative! rosemary is good too) Then slather with sauce, add 1/2 your cheese, some oregano & chipotle powder. Then add the meats and fajita veggies. Finish with the rest of your cheese, and another "BAM!" of oregano, basil, chipotle powder, and a few twists of black pepper from the pepper mill.

Then into the smoker (komodokamado.com) at 600-800°F. I fire the smoker up a couple hours ahead of time so the dome gets fully saturated with heat. I cook on the top rack about 8-10 minutes.

That's all there is to it!

here are a couple pix from a differnt pizza... BBQ Chicken Pizza this time. Same crust, but I forgot to buttered the rim! BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce, grilled chicken, peppers, onions. I posted it so you can see a little of the pan and the cooker. This was at a cookoff in 2004... I won the smoker in the picture. I am the guy in the red flowery shirt.

Attachments

• kkookoff.jpg
    kkookoff.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0943.JPG
    DSCN0943.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0944.JPG
    DSCN0944.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 88

jiarby

You can use your oven at home, cranked to 500. But it will not cook right... It will take 20+ minutes.

Some pizza weenies jimmy the latch on their oven door so they can set it to auto-clean and get temps in the 750° range. Some guys fool the themostat in the oven by making a tin foil condom to insulate it... then the heating elements stay on instead of cutting out at 500°.

The WAF* numbers on those two options are usually low.

Pre-heat your pan... or use a pizza screen (not for the wet fococcia dough though!). Use a pizza stone that preheats an hour or so.

*WAF = "wife approval factor"

skyhigh

Let me guess.....you're really a master chef & got into signmaking as a hobby, so you can do your own menu boards?:Big Laugh

That some fantastic lookin pizza. How bout sending me a slice? :thumb:

Amazing....thanks for sharing.

petepaz

bah humbug!!!!
can we skip the holidays this year

thanksgiving is ok but after that cancel everything else

jiarby

let me guess.....you're really a master chef & got into signmaking as a hobby, so you can do your own menu boards?:big laugh

The more likely scenario is that I have to work in a restaurant to pay the bills because the sign business sucks.

shakey0818

V neck goes as far as the pic.
But the boobs go down to about my belly button.
Real buzz kill huh!
But at least I can tuck em into my jeans.
OMG i think thats the funniest thing i'v heard in a week.Thanks 4 da laugh jill.:ROFLMAO:Dont feel bad my jewels are hangin by my knees.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh silly Jilly.... those aren't balls. :covereyes:

You have to get those girlie mahns out of your mind.
Maybe they're manie girls. :omg: