• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A little help is requested

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Signs 101 has reached a point where it has become difficult to keep up with at times. We are getting more and more spam posts, new members trolling for business, signatures that offer products or services and other objectionable posting activities.

What I would very much appreciate would be a report from anyone noticing any such thing as soon as possible. With posts, simply click the Report Post icon (attached example). With other issues, please PM me.

Thank you.

Attachments

• bad_post.jpg
    bad_post.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 535

iSign

I agree. A reply to a post should be about the post nothing else.

Thanks Fred.

I also agree.

You are agreeing, and then you are introducing another concept, that I don't agree with.

A reply to a post may splinter off to become a reply to a reply, or even a slightly off topic discussion just because it happens. I don't think Fred is saying not to let a discussion stray off a little, just not stray off into breaking policy.

I think a little straying from the topics is a big part of the personality of this board & strengthens the connections we make here.

Bradster941

I thought this was pretty straight forward Bob.

We are getting more and more spam posts, new members trolling for business, signatures that offer products or services and other objectionable posting activities.
:rolleyes:

What I would very much appreciate would be a report from anyone noticing any such thing as soon as possible.

By your very reply;

I agree. A reply to a post should be about the post nothing else.

So why are you doing exactly the opposite of keeping on topic?
:help:

Bob 67

Sorry.. I was referring to a thread Fred deleted earlier today. I should have explained my statement a bit better.

Replicator

Thanks Fred, I always wondered what that little red Exclamation thingy was

and now I know . . . Will report @holes immediately !

carole2cats

Thanks Fred, I always wondered what that little red Exclamation thingy was

and now I know . . . Will report @holes immediately !

I wondered what that was to. Everytime I get on this forum I learn something, ain't it great! Thanks Fred.:signs101:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It comes with size and is unavoidable.

One of the charms of internet forums is thread drift. Moderation is usually the death knell of active forums. In 40 years of Usenet and then the www I have yet to encounter a moderated forum that wasn't a pale insipid thing.

Having to push everything through the prejudices of whomever is moderating is far worse than the free-for-all gunfight that the moderator thinks it's avoiding. Far more information is exchanged in the free-for-all than in the moderated catechism being advocated.

With information comes a certain amount of dross. The more information, the more dross. You can't get rid of one without getting rid of the other.

Kudos to Fred who set up rules and objectively cleaves to them. But even at that, every now an then even Fred gets just a bit subjective. It's unavoidable. Start appointing monitors and I can guarantee you that all objectivity, so carefully husbanded by Fred, will fly out the window.

Replicator

I think we should all elect BOB as the moderator . . .

He is always so fair and objective in his thought process . . .

NOT!!!!!!!!!

Flame

I'll be a moderator. That way we can ALL have fun.................

hehehehehehehehe

I nominate isign as well. Together, we could cause a ruckus! :Big Laugh

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I think we should all elect BOB as the moderator . . .

He is always so fair and objective in his thought process . . .

NOT!!!!!!!!!

That would the the point now wouldn't it? Perhaps it's too subtle for you grasp so I'll try to couch it in terms you might be able to comprehend...

If something has rules that are enforced by people then there is no objectivity, merely the prejudices of whomever is the enforcer.

In a venue where there's nothing but words I see no need for rules of any kind. Storage and physical management considerations notwithstanding. Usenet has been lurching along for 40 some years with precisely this philosophy. It's one of the main contributors to its longevity.

No one has ever been damaged by words. Moreover, sensibilities not only should not be protected, they should punched in the mouth every now and then. It tends to keep things real.

THATgirl

yes! I vote for OP, flamey, isign and bob from earth to be moderators. isign and flamey would be having a constant debate,(which is entertaining) while OP was being his humorous self, not caring who flips him crap. bob from earth would be busy talking in circles all day. So it would be just like it is now.

Sign_Boy

yes! I vote for OP, flamey, isign and bob from earth to be moderators. isign and flamey would be having a constant debate,(which is entertaining) while OP was being his humorous self, not caring who flips him crap. bob from earth would be busy talking in circles all day. So it would be just like it is now.

Right on point LOL. Sorry guys:Big Laugh

river_rat

No one has ever been damaged by words. Moreover, sensibilities not only should not be protected, they should punched in the mouth every now and then. It tends to keep things real.
So "common decency", "considerate behavior" and "civilization" are just abstract, unpleasant. untenable terms, which simply inhibit your ability to express yourself? Sorry, I'm a "newbie", and not being argumentative - just trying to get a feel for the personality of the forum. It looks great so far, but I'll admit this response raised some red flags for me.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So "common decency", "considerate behavior" and "civilization" are just abstract, unpleasant. untenable terms, which simply inhibit your ability to express yourself? Sorry, I'm a "newbie", and not being argumentative - just trying to get a feel for the personality of the forum. It looks great so far, but I'll admit this response raised some red flags for me.

Not to worry ... Bob is our resident contrarian.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet posts #10 and #15 have been 'Report Post' iconned by the dozens already. :tongue:

Call it what you like, but whatever we can do to help should be all of our main goals. I wouldn’t think special people should be named or they will be avoided and sucked up to by many. If there are to be monitors.... let Fred appoint them and have it between him and them. If that sounds too cruel or unjust.... you have the perfect opportunity to leave, but you were fairly warned. Play be the rules as they are stated constantly and are posted all over the place or be reported and dealt with in due time. Sure, tempers flare, attitudes thicken and words become daggers..... All of our answers are to help our fellow sign friends in some fashion. I never knew what that little thing was either.... or how it was used. I just hope this doesn't become mis-used now that the 'Masses' know what it is.

bob from earth…. the Free video will be delivered on the conduct of :signs101: shortly. Hold on a little longer.