• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe CC pantone colors

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Pantone Color of the Year is a pretty smart move by the marketing department to get Your clients to specify a colour You don't have (just googled this, and they've absolutely really been planning this since 1999!!().

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm willing to bet good money a bean-counting suit at Pantone dreamed up this scheme. There is no way it could have been pitched by a person actually involved in graphics production.
You're not wrong, but pantone has never been led by folks involved in graphic production, at least not since the old Pantone by Letraset days. It's all suits driving the boat these days, right into an iceberg it would seem.

netsol

We saved the Adobe pantone color book file before they switched, we just put it back in the folder after the update. We will probably have to do this for every update.

^looks like he did the same so I'd definitely ask him for that file.
you might be better off editing your hosts file with a dummy entry for the adobe update servers.
this is what happens, i think, with the cracked adobe software.
then all you need to do is rem that line in hosts when you want to update (a few days AFTER everyone else, when you know there are no surprises

WildWestDesigns

you might be better off editing your hosts file with a dummy entry for the adobe update servers.
this is what happens, i think, with the cracked adobe software.
then all you need to do is rem that line in hosts when you want to update (a few days AFTER everyone else, when you know there are no surprises
I don't know how much longer the host file will remain useful to users in general, regardless of the use case.

A lot of talk of an immutable file system of late (not a good idea in my mind) and that would make things like the Registry and the Host file read only, regardless of sudo escalation. Also, it appears that at least the OS ignores what is in the host file unless it resolves very specifically as there are some that are hardcoded. Now that is with regard to the OS, but I wouldn't be surprised if individual programs weren't able to do that (maybe programs like browsers already do). I think this is how the first programs of "Stop Win 10" during that rollout debacle attempted to stop the update to Win 10 for users that didn't want it at that time.

netsol

i suppose you could use one of the other tricks the people that hack adobe use.
you could run it in a vlan that can't get to the internet, or just a subnet that sees printers, scanners, but not te router.

think of your guest network, In reverse

netsol

in much the same way i would block my windows 10 stuff from the update servers. hypothetically.
(only until microsoft learns the meaning of "First, do no harm")

WildWestDesigns

i suppose you could use one of the other tricks the people that hack adobe use.
you could run it in a vlan that can't get to the internet, or just a subnet that sees printers, scanners, but not te router.

think of your guest network, In reverse
Something makes me think that this endless complicated work around is going only get worse and as the "fixes" get so complicated, I would be very surprised if other functionality that may actually be desired isn't lost in the process.

To me, this would be signal to at least look at other options (they still may not hold up under scrutiny, but at least go through an evaluation to see where they stand now). Although, no promises that those alternatives also won't go down the road like this, but just with something else. Oh the joys.