• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise on horrible customer

rydods

Member for quite some time.
We have had a financially amazing customer for 10 years now and for the most part things have gone smoothly until the last few years. The grandson of this particular company has become more of a dominant role and his attitude is getting worse. He treats his employees terribly and I've seen this first hand. He's also begun to do the same to me. His latest was telling me to "pull my head out of my a**" and stop spending time on my other customers and focus on them more. (My employees, wife and son all saw this email)

I personally feel we provide a great service and I know many of their employees love us. We always put more focus on making sure we streamline their orders and we deliver once a week, 2 hour drive total.

We don't have any formal contracts and they do not own any part of our business however they're sales are almost half of what we do in a year. Losing them as a customer would hurt significantly, but it would not put us out of business.

I'm interested in how you all would handle my situation. Should I "suck it up buttercup"? Call him and try to come to some sort of understanding and reasoning? Or tell him that he does not dictate my business, what he said was extremely unprofessional and if you're not happy find someone else to take your abuse? At this moment, I'm leaning toward the latter.

ikarasu

I would talk to the non grandson, if you're having issues I'm sure other vendors are as well. Maybe the owner is blinded by love and doesn't realize his grandson is screwing up his business.

Can he easily go elsewhere? If not..m bring it up with him as well. I wouldn't let a customer talk that way, unless I have him a reason to be upset... And even then I'd drop a stop with the attitude hint while apologizing for whatever I screwed up. Even if it meant losing him as a customer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a good one.

Ya need to think about if you really wanna keep them on or not. Weigh things out and give him an answer before too much time goes by.

Curtailing to them will only lead to more problems. Next he'll be telling you what to charge and how much faster he expects your services.

At my age, I would probably just let him know he is not being at all professional and you really don't know if you really want to be party to the likes of him and his way of doing business. If he can handle himself in a professional manner, you'll keep him on, otherwise, you will finish out what orders are on the table and both of you can move on. Also, copy in every other employee, partner or whatever contacts you still have with this company. Be sure to put this in writing and start to create a paper trail. Some people are born with the silver spoon in their mouth and just don't how to spend daddy's money. This guy will run this business into the ground in no time.

Inks

Let him know his companies orders are one of your top priorities and invite him to your place of business for a tour and lunch. Show him what you and your team do for them on a daily basis. Maybe walk him through one of his orders. He may not fully understand what you actually do for them or what his jobs entail. Since he is 50% of your business it is worth the effort.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a no tolerance policy for abusive customers. Upset about a mistake we made? I'll do everything I need to make it right. But the second it becomes abusive, you're done. At 50% you're sort of hamstrung though. I'd raise your prices on him and start seeking as many new customers a possible. Life's too short to suffer assholes.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Put his message delivery tactic aside and focus on what he actually said, maybe there is some truth in it. We all tend to take some of our regulars for granted so maybe look at this as a shot across the bow rather than an insult. Now, if he is continually demeaning, then a sit down meeting or an exit might be in order. Gino is probably right though, the kid likely thinks he knows better and couldn't wait for grandma to get out of the way. You need good employees as much as you need good customers and these types usually run off the experienced ones that actually make the business what it is.

Saturn

Aging Member
You know your market, but if I had 50% more free time all of a sudden, I know I could drum up a lot more business and/or streamline/polish my website, ordering process, marketing, etc.

Notarealsignguy

That's a good one.

Ya need to think about if you really wanna keep them on or not. Weigh things out and give him an answer before too much time goes by.

Curtailing to them will only lead to more problems. Next he'll be telling you what to charge and how much faster he expects your services.

At my age, I would probably just let him know he is not being at all professional and you really don't know if you really want to be party to the likes of him and his way of doing business. If he can handle himself in a professional manner, you'll keep him on, otherwise, you will finish out what orders are on the table and both of you can move on. Also, copy in every other employee, partner or whatever contacts you still have with this company. Be sure to put this in writing and start to create a paper trail. Some people are born with the silver spoon in their mouth and just don't how to spend daddy's money. This guy will run this business into the ground in no time.
Exactly That's the problem with appeasing these dickwads. They keep chipping away at you for more until there's nothing left. I'll give them a pass on the first one because we have our fair share of screwups and delays but the second time you're gonna hear what I think. That either runs them off or turns them into a great customer.

Billct2

Having too many eggs in one basket can be a double edged sword :roflmao: OK, enough corny metaphors. That is a delicate situation, I like Inks recommendation, if it is doable. You should respond in some form that you feel you deliver value and service without an overt threat to drop them. Then see how it goes, maybe he will chill out aftre a while. The problem with that type is they wouldn't admit their error even if the next vendor did lousy work and cost more money.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For me, I wouldn't pussy-foot around. None of this I feel..... we want to or any other throwing yur hands up in the air and letting him be in charge. Take the bull by the horns and TELL him we give you this !! We give you that !!

If someone takes someone out for lunch, it better be him taking you out. He's the one who needs to apologize, not you. One doesn't patronize bad behavior from a kid, why would you from a customer ??

You really need to look at the last year or two of business and be brutally honest and see if you have been taking him for granted. If that's the case, still chew his behind out for being harsh..............

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Start improving that ratio - 50% relying on one customer is a disaster waiting to happen.

Get to a point where it wouldn't hurt if you fired them, then make it clear that you're not going to take their crap anymore. Money is money, but you don't need someone treating you like that regardless of how much business they give you.

Oh and at the next opportunity I would definitely set that pr!ck straight and make sure the owner of the company sees it.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
50% of your business is the only part that stinks. I would be looking for other work, and ease out a relationship with them. It's tough to get out a "deal" with someone, but I find that pricing and delivery times can do that. "I'm sorry but this is going to cost X and I can't have it until Y" may push them to look elsewhere. Nothing says you have to be done with this customer for good, maybe they will come around after a few failed attempts, but I would act now. If you let it stew, it will only get worse.

Notarealsignguy

Without expanding, because not everyone wants to do that, how exactly would you go about trying to do get away from 1 customer being a big portion of your business? I get the idea but whats the point of dumping someone just to go and replace them with multiple others? Nice thing about less customers is less personnel and time is needed to deal with multiple smaller people. When you think about it, contractors do this. They put all of their resources into a few projects and when they are completed, they have to hunt for more. Something always comes along. In my eyes, the way to get yourself in trouble is to spend a bunch on expanding for 1 single customer.

decalman

I would talk to this dolt... nicely. I would ask him, why are you getting huffy with me?...
Your email with me was harsh.

I would hope that we can maintain mutually respectful interactions in the future.
For 10 years I've enjoyed, and appreciate doing business with you, I hope and look forward to another 10 years.
( something like this)
The guy is live money. I wouldn't quit him so fast. Wait for his response . Once you've exhausted trying to reason with him, Then Dump him.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If he looks to be a pain, he might just drop you over nothing the same way you can drop him even if you deal with his ****. There's no contract or guarantee ever of future work (from or for) him by either party. I'd be out looking for a few more good customers just in case he messes things up over there or goes elsewhere. We have a few larger customers that we will bend over backwards for whenever they ask, but no rude ones.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I like decalman email response best. Personally, I really struggle to kiss people's a$$ so lunch would be out of the question for me.

If the situation is as you say, if you fire him or he goes elsewhere, he will likely be back. Most sign shops are busy now and they aren't going to bend over backwards for some jack-wagon who walks in like he owns the place demanding this and that. Not to mention this...if you have a good reputation and he walks in by Joe Blow and cuts you down, this will be a red flag to Joe Blow and they might not bend over backwards so quick.

I have some bigger customers that I jump through hoops for but they are nice and they pay up right away.

CanuckSigns

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if 1 client without a contract made up 50% of my revenue!

Be firm but fair with him, lay out what your expectations are from him, and what he can expect from you, explain what they can do to speed up production (set up files for you properly, approvals signed off in a timely manner, sign a contract)

In the meantime, find some new clients to take their place, worse case you loose this client and have them to fall back on, best case your business goes up another 50%