• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aged/Weathered look print on raw burnt pine

SignosaurusRex

Employees of one of our good customers ordered a retirement gift sign for their supervisors cabin. They gave me free reign to do as I pleased (within reason). The only stipulations were an aprox. size of 16"x36", look "sorta aged & westerny with color to hang over the porch".
I started with raw pine boards that I burnt with a torch, then brushed with a stiff bristle scrub brush to reveal deeper grain then sealed with a fast dry acrylic. Once the print (no lamination) was applied, it was heated and rubbed into the wood with a soft cloth. The heating and rubbing process was repeated a second time. Next step was to lightly and selectively scuff with ScotchBrite then follow with 320 grit sandpaper. Final step for the print was satin U.V. clear spray coat. Frame was raw pine that was scorched with a torch, brushed, and clear coated with satin clear acrylic. Finished size is 16"x38".
It was definitely a nice break from the average daily grind.

Attachments

• PICT0197.JPG
    PICT0197.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 105
  • PICT0198.JPG
    PICT0198.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 71

slappy

very nice Rex! I'm jealous! I wish i could produce something like that, looks great!
and it's even sexier to see that you didn't mirror the deer identically!:thumb:

Sharx

Very Nice, and thanks for the how to! I can't wait to apply it to a pet project for the wife... when I find some time.