• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Al Checca

signage

Hey everyone I was talking with Al and found out that he has fallen into some bad times with his Kidney Transplant. He is in need of some other medical issues which are not being covered by insurance before he can be placed on the transplant list. Here is a link to some of the information and to a place we can help him. I know Al would greatly appriciate this and would do the same for any of us!

Thank You for taking your time to read this and help our sign brother!
Brian

rcook99

Brian,

This is a great idea. The only thing I wonder about is if he loses a percentage of the donation to the fundraising company? If so maybe we can set somthing up like we did for Matt Vipond to send the money donated directly to him. At least then he will get 100% of what is donated. By all means if they don't take a % from what is donated then I will have Fred delete my post.

OK here is what I found on there site.

Does NTAF take a fee?
NTAF retains a modest 4% fee for check and cash donations (96 cents of every dollar benefits an NTAF patient campaign) and 7% for credit card donations due to higher administrative costs incurred.

signage

Rob I do not know at this time but I will find out, and let you know as soon as I do! I think that if we can do it directly I would also like to leave the link to the foundation being that the foundations donations can be tax deductible and some may want to go that route!

Last edited:

ProWraps

can someone that is close to him set up a paypal account? being the skeptic I am, I dont trust donating to people I dont know.

but i will donate $100 directly to a paypal account if someone sets it up.

al, if you read this, hang in there buddy.

ProWraps

i have created a paypal account and a gmail account under the name:
benefital@gmail.com

i will sign over the paypal and gmail over to anyone that is in trust for him or for al.

there are some confirmations involved with a bank account etc. that i will leave up to the beneficiary of the account.

if its al, someone that is close to him, or if its fred, i will immediately give the account details over and happy make my donation.

time is of the essence and if this doesnt work, no worries, someone else set some thing up so we can start donating.

anyone in trust can email me at chris@wraps.pro, or call me direct at 916-213-5687.

Al Checca

Hi gang,
This is humbling to have to do. Your all so awesome and I know times are tough, I really really hate this and doing it but it is what it is. Let me explaine a little, and I'll glad answer any questions and Fred thank you so much for permitting this.
If it is ok I show you guys the press release I used and currently I have the city of Pittsburgh paper wanting to do an interview and our local tv news too.
Ask anything I'll share it all.

Let me jump to currently, I am on dialysis and had 2 transplants in life before, both worked and lasted 12 years each.
I'm back on dialysis trying to get on the transpant list, I have a failed strees test so I get stints put in.
Oh by the way I have excellent health care but NO dental. I go for the denatl expain and need all kinds of work. thing's from general dentistry stuff to periodontal work before they will conciser me. The dental work was all caused by my anti rejection drugs from past transplants and should be medical.
So I'm a health 43 year old guy that can't get listed

Let me post the press release, ask what u would like, I don't mind and this is what is wrong with out system right now and why the news are coming out.

To: <Name of Media>
RE: Failure of US Healthcare System / Patient Advocacy

My name is Alan Checca and I am dying from End-Stage Renal Disease. I am in desperate need of a kidney transplant, which I cannot get because of outrageous HealthCare bureaucracy. I have previously had 2 kidney transplants; both of which went off without a hitch. My first kidney transplant was July of 86, my a second transplant was September of 98.

When I went into active kidney failure on June 15, 2009 and started kidney dialysis on August 22, 2009, I had no idea as to how much the process of receiving a life saving transplant has changed; nor was I prepared. I have, in no uncertain terms, fallen victim to the flawed U.S. HealthCare system.

I have been turned away from the life-saving organ transplant, by the Transplant Coordinator for Allegheny General Hospital, due to some logical and some illogical reasons. The first reason was due to a failed cardiac stress-test; which I corrected by having two stents put in my cardiac vessels to repair and maintain the blood flow issue in my heart.

The second reason, which is where the U.S. HealthCare System has failed me, is because of bone loss in my jaw and a poor dental exam. The poor dental exam and loss of bone density is a direct result of the combination of ant-rejection drugs and other medications that I have been on most of my life. One of the reasons for confusion and frustration that I have is that because the dental issues and bone density issues are a direct result of the anti-rejection medications I take ---why is this not covered by my medical insurance? There lies the conundrum. To me this is a major failure of the U.S. HealthCare System. I have been told by the Allegheny Hospital Transplant Team that I have to be my own Patient Advocate in both medical and dental aspects. I need to have everything from general dental work to periodontal care done; and the out-of-pocket cost could range anywhere from 10,000 to an excess of 30,000 dollars, which I do not have. I am currently working with the NTAF to collectively raise money for my dental/bone density issues.

I fear that I, like many other Americans, have become a lost file number among many in the failed U.S. HealthCare System and will die as a result of it. Can anyone help me?

[FONT=&quot]BIO:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Alan Checca. D.O.B: 04/27/1967. Age: 43. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]524 North Chestnut Street, Derry, PA 15627, Wife: Kristin, 2 children: Johnathon 20, and Jessica 17. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Volunteer services I have worked with: Forest Hill / Chalfant Rescue 8 , Monreovelle FDC #1 , North Huntington Rescue 8 , Derry VFD, The County Sheriff Reserve Unit. Currently working as a sign maker and have for the past 20 years. I have had to scale back hours from full time to a few hours a week due to health issues. I am still volunteering with the Sheriff Reserve Unit and on a medical leave from North Huntingdon Rescue 8.[/FONT]

Al Checca

Brian,

This is a great idea. The only thing I wonder about is if he loses a percentage of the donation to the fundraising company? If so maybe we can set somthing up like we did for Matt Vipond to send the money donated directly to him. At least then he will get 100% of what is donated. By all means if they don't take a % from what is donated then I will have Fred delete my post.

OK here is what I found on there site.

Does NTAF take a fee?
NTAF retains a modest 4% fee for check and cash donations (96 cents of every dollar benefits an NTAF patient campaign) and 7% for credit card donations due to higher administrative costs incurred.

They do get 4 percent and I looked long and hard if I wanted to do that or not but then I found out I couldn't myself be a 501c and had to worry about the irs, they did other somethings that were pretty nice so after a couple of us looking it to if it was worth the 4 point we decided it was and they 7 we all know they are paying a couple point for the credit card processing so I wasn't worried. But thanks for thinking about it, I thought the very same thing.

ProWraps

al, i want to first say im so sorry. to answer your question at the end of your post, i, and others on this site will help you. in a heart beat.

ill up my pledge to $250. and if anyone wants to meet me with another $250, i'll match it with another $250. for a total of $500 on my part.

al, you have people that love you here. whether we have met you or not, you are our brother. period.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I had posted that I would be willing to handle the collection and then read Al's post and, as I suspected, there are reasons to work through NTAF ... so I will be making a donation there. Good luck Al!

Al Checca

al, i want to first say im so sorry. to answer your question at the end of your post, i, and others on this site will help you. in a heart beat.

ill up my pledge to $250. and if anyone wants to meet me with another $250, i'll match it with another $250. for a total of $500 on my part.

al, you have people that love you here. whether we have met you or not, you are our brother. period.

Thank you it is just very humbling to be stuck and not be able to fix this myself. Yes You all have been my family for many years...... But damn...

Al Checca

I had posted that I would be willing to handle the collection and then read Al's post and, as I suspected, there are reasons to work through NTAF ... so I will be making a donation there. Good luck Al!

Anything how every is wonderful Fred, again I don't know what to say but Thank you.

Hey everyone I was talking with Al and found out that he has fallen into some bad times with his Kidney Transplant. He is in need of some other medical issues which are not being covered by insurance before he can be placed on the transplant list. Here is a link to some of the information and to a place we can help him. I know Al would greatly appriciate this and would do the same for any of us!

Thank You for taking your time to read this and help our sign brother!
Brian

Brian, thank you so much, asking is so hard to do, Thanks man...Thanks..

Al Checca

Please let me (and everyone else) know a way to contribute to Al directly..Al is a great guy who would do anything he could for anybody. Hang in there Al.

Thank you Dan, I am a hard person to make speechless but I am now. Man thanks everyone.

SignosaurusRex

I'm in bro.....my thoughts and prayers are with you. Best wishes to you and yours!!!

I want to see the green wig again and the "GREEN" in your fund!:thumb: